Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:01 AM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined May 2012
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringrazor View Post
Perhaps this isn't a good hobby for you then.....

On another subject, my dad will be 91 on Monday. My sister in NJ is starting to clean out his lifetime collection of stuff in the basement and just sent me a box of small tools. He was an electronics tech and also liked working on clocks. I got a huge collection of tiny jeweler screwdrivers, and old but never used boxed Weller 60Watt soldering station with a low voltage pencil, another 6v low voltage tip (also boxed never used - too bad the Weller trans is 24v), 2 micrometers (analog dials...made WELL before anyone knew what "digital" was, lol), and a host of other cool stuff including a pic of my dad as a teen holding a flying model he built. Thanks, dad! Love you, you're the greatest!

and....my Super CP is on a slow-moving UPS truck somewhere west of Chicago..... hopefully heading into the sunset....
rcmaniac098202 is offline Find More Posts by rcmaniac098202
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:43 PM
United States, SC, Pelion
Joined Feb 2013
28 Posts
Responses to a few comments I saw:

On the batteries being hard to take out or put in:
I placed a single layer of scotch tape around the batteries from front to back. That smoothed out the rough edges on the battery that get caught on the cross-pieces of the battery holder. That woks especially well on my Genius CP, where the battery is way up under the canopy. You can also cut a strip of paper the width of the battery tray and slide it in around the battery. That also gives you something to pull on when removing the battery.

For the weak landing skids on the Genius or the Super CP helis, try reinforcing the uprights with some thin stiff wire. I found 6 inch assorted sizes of piano wire at Lowes Hardware for a couple of bucks, and got a pack of assorted sizes of heat shrink tubing for another few dollars. There are instructions on this forum about how to attach the wire reinforcement to the landing skids. I don't think glue is gonna be enough to repair those after they break.

As far as upgraded/spare batteries for the Super CP, I found 400 mAh batteries at wowhobbies that fit the Super battery compartment perfectly. Watch out for replacement batteries on the Genius though. Wowhobbies says that they have 350 mAh batteries that fit the Genius, but those are too long for it. They stick out so far that they hit the drive gear, so 260 mAh are the biggest battery that fit the Genius. I would definitely purchase a handful of the biggest battery that fits in your model, so that you have enough to fly longer.

Also, be aware that wowhobbies is selling an upgraded version of the Genius and Super, with brushless motors. That is a HUGE upgrade in terms of motor speed, flight time per battery, and the number of flight hours you'll get before the motor wears out. It's well worth the investment, if you have a few extra dollars to spend.
G Man Number 7 is offline Find More Posts by G Man Number 7
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:15 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Feb 2013
168 Posts
@rcmaniac: I only say that because I'm a full time college student and work when I can. My point in life doesn't offer too much extra money - hahah. Thanks G Man Number 7 for those helpful tips. Brushless sounds awesome but as I just said, I can barely afford the regular version - haha. I'm going to be SUPER careful flying it around when I do get it.
aaronmichael is offline Find More Posts by aaronmichael
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:12 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmichael View Post
. I'm going to be SUPER careful flying it around when I do get it.
Super careful or not, part of learning is crashing. It will happen, no matter what you do to avoid it. And with these CP helis, those crashes can be pretty fast and hard. I had a perfect flight with my CP the other night on my birthday. PERFECT flight. Brought it in to a hover to land, set it down, and realized it was in idle up still. Mind you I didn't land hard, I put it down perfectly, and gently. Just the force of dropping the throttle into negative pitch on the ground snapped my landing gear.

In my second month with my Super CP, I've run maybe 10-15 batteries through it. Done mostly just indoor hovering. I'm already on my third set of skids ($4 each). Second tail and motor ($7-11). And I've never, EVER had a hard crash. And this is with a lot of time on my other two CP helis, three quads, too many coaxials, 3 v911's, and many hours of sim time to boot.

The best reference I can make is to something I know a lot more about: Guitar.

You can learn every single scale, read every book, know everything there is to know about guitar, but if you've never played one you're going to screw up a lot, and your fingers are going to crack and bleed. You need to build up those callouses and muscle memory first, to be able to tap into all the actual skill and knowledge you've learned.

Same with the helicopters. You can try hard and be really gentle and careful, but until you form that muscle memory and those callouses you're going to break strings and bleed.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:41 PM
Joined May 2012
308 Posts
Quote:
@rcmaniac: I only say that because I'm a full time college student and work when I can. My point in life doesn't offer too much extra money - hahah. Thanks G Man Number 7 for those helpful tips. Brushless sounds awesome but as I just said, I can barely afford the regular version - haha. I'm going to be SUPER careful flying it around when I do get it.
This at me or @stringrazor?

Yes, this is one expensive hobby. My budget is pretty small, as I'm a junior in high school. We need money trees
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:10 PM
Joined Feb 2013
168 Posts
Seriously. Luckily I work on commission and I sold a tricycle at work today! $70 towards my Super CP (and replacement parts)! How does the Super CP fly outdoors? I was actually surprised at how well my v911 handled the wind, hoping the Super CP can fair just as well.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:26 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
lol, your Super CP will be a LOT better in the wind than a v911.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Old Mar 01, 2013, 01:27 AM
Joined Feb 2013
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arr0wHead View Post
lol, your Super CP will be a LOT better in the wind than a v911.
SWEET! It's been windy here in Southern California Not good for my other hobby, cycling, either.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:51 AM
Joined May 2012
308 Posts
Quote:
SWEET! It's been windy here in Southern California Not good for my other hobby, cycling, either.
It will bob a little in 10+mph wind, but with enough practice, you'll be flying it in 15-20 XD. CP helis don't give a crap about wind XD
Old Mar 01, 2013, 11:25 AM
Joined Feb 2013
168 Posts
Perfect! What throttle and pitch curves is everyone using for their Super CP? I found beginner throttle and pitch curves on forums online but I'm sure it varies a lot from helicopter to helicopter.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 01:28 PM
Joined May 2012
308 Posts
Quote:
Perfect! What throttle and pitch curves is everyone using for their Super CP? I found beginner throttle and pitch curves on forums online but I'm sure it varies a lot from helicopter to helicopter.
I use the stock settings or my custom genius cp settings. The stock super cp settings are very twitchy!
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:26 PM
Joined Nov 2012
124 Posts
Stock settings are extremely twitchy for sure, i've setup a different one now, but unfortunately my supercp is defective
rctech96 is offline Find More Posts by rctech96
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:39 AM
Joined Feb 2013
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctech96 View Post
Stock settings are extremely twitchy for sure, i've setup a different one now, but unfortunately my supercp is defective
What's going on with it?
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:54 AM
Joined Dec 2010
35 Posts
I try this setting is 3D superb.
PT Curve as standard
TH Curve 100-100-100
DR A=+125% E=+125%
Expo A=-15 E=-15
somchai6813 is offline Find More Posts by somchai6813
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:02 AM