HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2013, 04:30 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,771 Posts
Isaac, I am coming up tonight but leaving tomorrow night. Send me a PM and I will give you my personal contact info. There are a few of us in the North Shore. If you don't know them, I would like to introduce you.

Ed
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2013, 04:48 PM
7 P's
United States, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined Sep 2013
114 Posts
Last night I installed my Phantom upgrade board and H3-2D gimbal. Fun project.

As others have noted, there is a black 8 pin cable with the gimbal, and a gray one with the upgrade board. The gray one is too short to go through the front driver side gear hole. I didn't want to run it through the same hold as the antenna cable in the driver side rear. I didn't want to reroute the antenna cable, so I drilled a hole in the rear driver side armpit and ran the 8 pin gray cable out there. For me, this was worth doing because the gray cable is 4.1 g and the black one is 6.4 g.

I took some measurements throughout the process that may be useful. Note that I received the updated H3-2D with black plate behind camera, no markings on motors, and some kind of plastic composite for the camera mount bracket and suspension parts that mount to phantom.

Before upgrade: 625.5 g
Basic Phantom, no cam mount at all, no lipo bat, external usb access mod, DJI white props

After upgrade board install: 636.0 g
Same as above but with gray gimbal cable and 3 wire video out cables peaking out hole in bottom of phantom, not connected to anything

After addition of H3-2D gimbal, GoPro H3 Black, GoPro Original Battery: 852 g

After adding 172 g OEM DJI Phantom battery: 1024 g

Other Phantom parts weight/mass:
Basic H3-2D assembly - just the limp gimbal and motors, no mount, nothing else: 114.1 g
Top and Bottom plastic mount plates with 4 black rubber mounts: 19.9 g
H3-2D GCU V1 module (I didn't use this): 22.5 g
Gray mount rubber x 4: 5.9 g
White mount rubber x 4: 5.6 g
H3-2D front camera mount bar (plastic with metal threads): 2.1 g
New LED board with longer cable: 2.8 g
Orignal LED board with shorter cable: 2.7 g
Original Phantom main board with Naza M stuck down: 51.6 g
Original Phantom main board NO Naza M: 25.6g
Phantom Upgrade board by itself, without Naza M: 31.5 g
Phantom Upgrade board with Naza M stuck down: 57.6 g
Naza M V1 (phantom) without sticky tape: 25.5 g
Naza M V1 (phantom) with sticky tape: 26.0 g
The 16 screws used to seal phantom shell (4 Philips and 12 2mm hex): 4.6 g
8 pin gimbal cable black/long: 6.4 g
8 pin gimbal cable gray/short: 4.1 g
6 pin 3 wire video cable: 1.0 g
Weight of H3-2D (v2) with all mount hw, plates, rubbers, ribbon cable, video cable, GoPro H3 Black, GoPro battery: 216 g
zuma is offline Find More Posts by zuma
Old Sep 28, 2013, 05:04 PM
Support yer local CharlieSheen
Joined May 2011
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Loved your video. I have been many of the places that you visited but did not have a video platform at the time. Next time. On the first video to the Black Hills monument, I thought that your yaw could have used a little more expo to smooth it out. The subsequent videos were much better. While watching the falls video, I was saying to myself, so go over the falls and rotate 180 degrees to show the view from behind and you did it. Nice!

The next time I am in Yellowstone, it will be with my F450 with the H3-2D. Thanks for sharing, it brought back a lot of memories.
You better go to Yellowstone soon! The rangers said there were some new regs. coming to the compendium soon. They weren't sure what they were, but I bet it has something to do with what we want to do. Just don't ask permission. It is better to beg forgiveness than to ask for permission The rangers at the Norris Geysers said that we aren't allowed to fly there because if the copter goes down in the sensitive areas there is no safe way to retrieve them, which is understandable. The best areas to fly like the falls don't have as many people. or rangers around.
isaacintheclouds is offline Find More Posts by isaacintheclouds
Old Sep 28, 2013, 08:03 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacintheclouds View Post
You better go to Yellowstone soon! The rangers said there were some new regs. coming to the compendium soon. They weren't sure what they were, but I bet it has something to do with what we want to do. Just don't ask permission. It is better to beg forgiveness than to ask for permission The rangers at the Norris Geysers said that we aren't allowed to fly there because if the copter goes down in the sensitive areas there is no safe way to retrieve them, which is understandable. The best areas to fly like the falls don't have as many people. or rangers around.
I would do like you did and fly from the edges and not get near the sensitive areas. Yea, they don't care if your craft goes down in the falls.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Sep 28, 2013, 08:25 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus Omar View Post
just for Fun this will be a lot better than Zenmuse or all stabilization systems.
http://youtu.be/VRKu785g0O0
That is awesome!
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Sep 29, 2013, 03:19 AM
Japan, Fukuoka Prefecture, Fukuoka
Joined Jun 2012
861 Posts
You can use Mercali to to fix the yaw problems a bit. I did that in my Hiroshima video.
Bravia3D is offline Find More Posts by Bravia3D
Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:39 PM
Joined Jun 2008
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacintheclouds View Post
Here's a video of all my flying on my road trip. I was able to do some video in the Black hills, at the Devils Tower, in Yellowstone, at the Grand Coulee Dam and the Dry Falls which are 20 miles south of the Grand Coulee dam. I was going to get some video of the waterfalls along the north side of Mt. Hood in the Columbia River Gorge but it was too windy to fly safely. We got rained on a bit too which limited the amount of flying I wanted to do. After the last flight in Yellowstone a ranger pulled us over a few miles later. Since I had done my homework and looked up the superintendents compendium I knew I wasn't breaking any laws and told them so, which they found out after looking it up themselves. They were nice about it though, I guess since they pulled us over without even knowing if I had done anything illegal or not. They couldn't even tell me not to fly but told me that if I did I would probably encounter more rangers.

The H32D is so smooth that the yaw movements are really noticeable. I need to do a 3rd axis mod using an alexmos board with the 3rd axis expansion. Gary Goodrum has done that on a phantom with an H32D and it looks really nice.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZV6H...yCwyRATv5DcpEA

What set up were you using for this? Just curious. FPV as well? Video is cool. I start with my zen angled slightly down and usually never see the props. Although some people like to see them so I guess it's preference.
tamiyafan1975 is offline Find More Posts by tamiyafan1975
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2013, 04:29 PM
Support yer local CharlieSheen
Joined May 2011
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiyafan1975 View Post
What set up were you using for this? Just curious. FPV as well? Video is cool. I start with my zen angled slightly down and usually never see the props. Although some people like to see them so I guess it's preference.
I have the H32D on an F450 with Avroto 2814 motors, APC 11x4.7SF props, DJI 30A opto ESCs, NAZA V2, Lawmate 500mw Vtx with IBcrazys cloverleaf antenna, Dragonlink uhf control on an old futaba 9 channel CAP super. 4000Mah 4s lipo powering everything. My groundstation on these shots was set up using an 8 inch lcd monitor on a tripod using an 8dbi patch antenna on the Vrx. When I am not flying too far I use that so if the NAZA starts being weird, (the NAZA flyaways thread has me paranoid) I can quickly look up and flip to manual to attempt to save it.
isaacintheclouds is offline Find More Posts by isaacintheclouds
Old Sep 29, 2013, 05:19 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2013
366 Posts
Anyone ever seen this?

Flying FPV today. Good windy day.

Yaw'd the 550 around and the H3-2D decided that a very quick 2 second nap was in order.

Zenmuse H3-2D Power Nap (0 min 20 sec)

Never happen before, was fine for the rest of the flight and I shot about 40 minutes of footage that day without issue.
simplepanda is offline Find More Posts by simplepanda
Old Sep 29, 2013, 08:31 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Jan 2012
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepanda View Post
Anyone ever seen this?

Yaw'd the 550 around and the H3-2D decided that a very quick 2 second nap was in order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNAY3YjxdmU

Never happen before, was fine for the rest of the flight and I shot about 40 minutes of footage that day without issue.
Yep, I've seen that. Mine started doing that today. On my first flight this morning (9/29) I noticed a high pitch squealing noise. Sometimes the frequency of the squealing changed. Towards the end of the morning, my camera started tilting to one side like yours in the video. I got to use my original Zenmuse 1 day and then crapped out.
skipper1 is offline Find More Posts by skipper1
Last edited by skipper1; Sep 29, 2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 12:33 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2013
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper1 View Post
Yep, I've seen that. Mine started doing that today. On my first flight this morning (9/29) I noticed a high pitch squealing noise. Sometimes the frequency of the squealing changed. Towards the end of the morning, my camera started tilting to one side like yours in the video. I got to use my original Zenmuse 1 day and then crapped out.
Hmm. My Zenmuse sounds like this (you can hear no sound at the start, then you can hear the Zenmuse at about the 8 second mark when it kicks in).

Normal?

Zenmuse Ambient (1 min 21 sec)
simplepanda is offline Find More Posts by simplepanda
Old Sep 30, 2013, 05:44 AM
Czech Republic, Karlovy Vary Region
Joined May 2013
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepanda View Post
Anyone ever seen this?
Somewhere I now spotted information that the lapses Zenmuse to hibernation (this is the phenomenon when I tilt gimbal) is often caused by excessive sampling GoPro camera power when not turned on, or has very discharged its GP own battery.
Typically this happensif it is not GoPro ON, to turn ON Zenmuse ...

I have come to this also happened many times (Zenmuse to hibernation), sometimes helped tilt the camera a few times here and there ... Otherwise, restart Zenmuse.
gardenroute is online now Find More Posts by gardenroute
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Go Africa 2013 Expedition
Old Sep 30, 2013, 09:55 AM
Joined Aug 2013
137 Posts
I set up my Zen yesterday and went out for 5 flights. On 3 of the 5 flights at around the 2 minute mark my Zen takes a 2 sec nap. What the hell?

other than that it flew beautifully!

thoughts?
nesal is offline Find More Posts by nesal
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:17 AM
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,616 Posts
Hi,
I'm just about to try and set up my FPV using the Zenmuse Gimbal and a iOSD Mini for the very 1st time ever and have been reading through here and the instructions to try and make sure I have all the bits I need and am about to plug everything into the right place.
I've seen some people mention that you need a separate Can Bus Hub but is that only if I want to use the separate blue tooth / BTU module as well which I won't be using at this stage????
I'm thinking the iOSD mini plugs into the PMU Can Port and the GCU into the Can Port on the iOSD ?????
There's then the video out from the GCU which needs to be soldered into the plug for the iOSD along with the video feed wires to the VTX.
Is there anywhere that I can plug the VTX into the GCU to give it power or do I need to take power from a separate source, I was thinking about plugging it into a spare channel the receiver but that'll only give 5v supply and I think the Immersion 600mW needs 6v+ ???????
If I'm right any idea's on the best place and what connectors to use to supply power the VTX??
Witterings is offline Find More Posts by Witterings
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:35 AM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Jan 2012
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesal View Post
I set up my Zen yesterday and went out for 5 flights. On 3 of the 5 flights at around the 2 minute mark my Zen takes a 2 sec nap. What the hell?

other than that it flew beautifully!

thoughts?
When the Zenmus works properly it's beautiful. I think that for the price tag, it shouldn't be going into hibernation during a turn or because of a puff of wind. That seems more like a flaw than protection. And, if they use the excuse that it is to protect the delicate motors, then don't put delicate motors on it.
skipper1 is offline Find More Posts by skipper1