HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2013, 08:24 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Jan 2012
1,215 Posts
Check out my new H3 2D

A Walk and Bike Ride in Nob Hill Greenbelt (1 min 37 sec)
skipper1 is offline Find More Posts by skipper1
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2013, 08:41 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper1 View Post
Skipper looks pretty good. I am assuming that you are using the Phantom Tx. If so I would lower the ATTI gains a bit. It will smooth out your stick movement. With a regular Tx I add about 30% expo on the aileron and elevator channels and then set up a switch where I move the expo to 50% and use 80% D/R. This is only for video. You have to switch back when you are just flying around. Enjoy your new toy. I am certainly enjoying mine.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Aug 05, 2013, 08:47 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Skipper looks pretty good. I am assuming that you are using the Phantom Tx. If so I would lower the ATTI gains a bit. It will smooth out your stick movement. With a regular Tx I add about 30% expo on the aileron and elevator channels and then set up a switch where I move the expo to 50% and use 80% D/R. This is only for video. You have to switch back when you are just flying around. Enjoy your new toy. I am certainly enjoying mine.
Hi Ed,
Actually I'm flying in GPS, my flying skills are terrible so I'm in GPS til I get the confidence, I switch back and forth until I get scared. I do have an 8FGS coming so maybe I can get that going with the Phantom. As for the H3 2D, that was tongue in cheek. Mine lasted a whole 2 hours, sent it back and waiting for them to send a new one....Oh, great toy. Wish I had gotten into this years ago.
Old Aug 05, 2013, 09:01 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,922 Posts
I did not get into the sport until all the kids left home and were out of College. Then I could actually afford something for me. I live in little houses and the kids cannot come home. Not that they would want to.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 05, 2013, 09:16 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,215 Posts
Quote:
I did not get into the sport until all the kids left home and were out of College. Then I could actually afford something for me. I live in little houses and the kids cannot come home. Not that they would want to.
I think I can top that one, I had never been in a hobby shop until I was 60. You should have seen me when I walked in. I think I said something stupid like "look at all the cool toys".
Old Aug 05, 2013, 09:27 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper1 View Post
I think I can top that one, I had never been in a hobby shop until I was 60. You should have seen me when I walked in. I think I said something stupid like "look at all the cool toys".
Funny how these hobbies brings out the Kid in US.. I guess thats what makes it so addicting and Fun, the regular working class guy would never uderstand such behaviour or feelings until he, himself, has actually expierienced these feelings we put into words. Keep on Keeping.
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Old Aug 05, 2013, 09:35 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,922 Posts
I don't think that any of us will ever become senile. You really have to think in this sport and the hand eye coordination keeps you sharp.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 05, 2013, 09:37 PM
Quad Pilot
Joined Jan 2013
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZACATTACK View Post
Funny how these hobbies brings out the Kid in US.. I guess thats what makes it so addicting and Fun, the regular working class guy would never uderstand such behaviour or feelings until he, himself, has actually expierienced these feelings we put into words. Keep on Keeping.
When you are a kid, plenty of energy, you can't buy or is forbidden to use these toys and gadgets.... When madurity arrives, you don't have time because the work, the kids, the family... Some years ahead, probably you have the balance, money and time, but not always enough energy or may be the "inside kid" went to sleep.. The hobbies renew facts in a live of contrasts, an added value: you got enough experience.
Jumanoc is offline Find More Posts by Jumanoc
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2013, 10:21 PM
Namibia, Khomas, Windhoek
Joined Jul 2012
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexa View Post
But I do have a big problem with phantom or the gimbal not holding is forward point.
In a one spot hover hands off sticks, from reviewing all footage I can see the footage shaking, some sort of YAW effects. It yaw from right to left in small movements.

Then noticed all the other phantom vids on YouTube and they too has this same yaw shaking right to left thing going on.

I don't get this with cheapie rc timer gimbal but that gimbal is mount to a different frame.
Is it the fantom causing this. Phantom x mode not holding the copter firm in flight?
Any one notice this. Is there a fix?
+1
I have the same problem and still haven't found a solution.
The footage looks like a bandit constantly looking left and right. All this only after fitting the Zen.
Anyone found a fix?

Anyone
Chilli Paste is offline Find More Posts by Chilli Paste
Old Aug 05, 2013, 10:30 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli Paste View Post
+1
I have the same problem and still haven't found a solution.
The footage looks like a bandit constantly looking left and right. All this only after fitting the Zen.
Anyone found a fix?

Anyone
Part of this is the nature of a 2 axis gimbal and a entry level RC Tx. No expo etc. You can change out the Rx but then why not just go to a F450. The Z15 is three axis and will hold the front of the craft without drift or twitch. I assume the H3-3D will do the same. But then you will need retracts.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 05, 2013, 11:05 PM
Joined Jul 2012
181 Posts
Quote:
Part of this is the nature of a 2 axis gimbal and a entry level RC Tx. No expo etc. You can change out the Rx but then why not just go to a F450. The Z15 is three axis and will hold the front of the craft without drift or twitch. I assume the H3-3D will do the same. But then you will need retracts.
Hi Tahoe Ed,
I think you do have a point there with it being a 2 axis gimbal only! I guess I'm spoiled with my S800

The phantom was just an ideal solution for those quick "jump out the car 'n get the shot" scenarios. I am considering transplanting it to the F550 (with DX18 Tx) and just use the phantom as a toy. But one last attempt would be to lower the yaw gain considerably.
Old Aug 05, 2013, 11:45 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli Paste View Post
Hi Tahoe Ed,
I think you do have a point there with it being a 2 axis gimbal only! I guess I'm spoiled with my S800

The phantom was just an ideal solution for those quick "jump out the car 'n get the shot" scenarios. I am considering transplanting it to the F550 (with DX18 Tx) and just use the phantom as a toy. But one last attempt would be to lower the yaw gain considerably.
Lowering the Yaw gain may help and you can also lower the ATTI gains as I suggested to Skipper. It works a little like expo. I typically fly with the ATTI gains at 90.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 05, 2013, 11:49 PM
Joined Jul 2012
181 Posts
Thanks Tahoe Ed. I'll give it a shot and will report back.
Old Aug 06, 2013, 12:52 AM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jan 2007
182 Posts
Going to lower my YAW gain and attitude gains as well but here is a video from a windy day with the Phantom and Zenmuse with Gopro black.

Phantom Flying Over a Wind Generator (6 min 7 sec)
t-rexn8 is offline Find More Posts by t-rexn8
Old Aug 06, 2013, 11:19 AM
Im the eye In the sky
Denmark, Region Zealand, Jyderup
Joined Mar 2012
251 Posts
Zenmuse H3-2D with wookong M and a Y6 sky-hero SPY = Probably the best combination for allround use, especially in windy conditions!
I have tried a lot of combos!
epedemi is offline Find More Posts by epedemi