Old Jul 13, 2013, 12:55 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
No problem with flyaways?

it would definitely be user error in his case.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Accessory Pin Out
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2013, 03:33 PM
Joined Jul 2013
516 Posts
What do you guys think of something like this to protect casing?

It's just a vinyl sticker.

ariZedA is offline Find More Posts by ariZedA
Old Jul 13, 2013, 03:44 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,196 Posts
Nice camo.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Accessory Pin Out
Old Jul 13, 2013, 03:52 PM
by Alary Design
Mesa, AZ
Joined May 2002
1,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Nice camo.
I know... I can't see it. What did he post?
Photoship One is offline Find More Posts by Photoship One
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2013, 04:05 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aae55555 View Post
What do you guys think of something like this to protect casing?

It's just a vinyl sticker.

It's not the outer housing most are concerned with. The Hero3 has made the lens replacement difficult and expensive.
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Jul 13, 2013, 04:13 PM
Japan, Fukuoka Prefecture, Fukuoka
Joined Jun 2012
790 Posts
I was thinking one could use an iPhone polarizer film. Just cut it into a circle maybe and place it upon the lens.
Bravia3D is offline Find More Posts by Bravia3D
Old Jul 13, 2013, 04:17 PM
Joined Jun 2012
790 Posts
If one were to fly using the GoPro WiFi app that would interfere with the Phantom wouldn't it? I wish DJI would release an app to view.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 05:47 PM
by Alary Design
Mesa, AZ
Joined May 2002
1,821 Posts
Here's video from a flight this morning with the H3-2D mounted to an airplane. Two cameras used. One was hard mounted next to the H3-2D to show the effectiveness of the H3-2D stabilization.

Overall I am impressed! The vibration isolation on the H3-2D compared to the hard mounted camera works very well. There are certain power settings that the airplane has some vibration that makes it's way to the H3-2D and the isolators didn't quite keep up with but perhaps a softer set of isolators and another test are in order... even so, the vibration was extremely minimal and only very occasionally.

As for the stabilization of the H3-2D. Poor man's Cineflex that fits in the palm of your hand.

I hit a top airspeed of around 120mph and the H3-2D has no issues in that amount of direct wind. It just sat there in the breeze fat dumb and happy to do it's job.

We'll plan to offer a mounting solution to any of you with jury strut equipped airplanes who want to have a go at it.

Enjoy!

H3-2D Zenmuse on Airplane (5 min 15 sec)
Photoship One is offline Find More Posts by Photoship One
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2013, 05:55 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoship One View Post
Awesome... I would not have guessed it would be that nice. It's great when it catches the prop at the same frequency...
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Jul 13, 2013, 05:59 PM
Joined Jun 2012
790 Posts
Amazing!
Old Jul 13, 2013, 06:11 PM
United States, GA, Macon
Joined Jun 2013
302 Posts
Impressive. Thumbs up!
edunwody is offline Find More Posts by edunwody
Old Jul 13, 2013, 06:33 PM
Joined Jun 2013
222 Posts
Got mine installed last night in my Phantom, it was a very tight fit. A couple of things I noticed that I'm unsure about. It takes much longer to acquire all the satellites now. I wonder if something is scrunched in there. Very far in to one of my test flights the gimbal went limp. Landing and cycling power seemed to have rectified the situation, is it possible the components were getting warm in there? I positioned the PMU and Zenmuse opposite each other and towards the rear and they're kind of close to the ESC's.

I have not done this yet but considering, will attaching the GoPro to FPV Tx cable throw off the balance? Should I utilize the downlink cable?

Should I leave a USB micro cable plugged into the Zenmuse and accessible to allow for updates to keep from cracking the case open again?

And finally, apologies for an unsearched question, is the GoPro getting power from the Gimbal and charging its battery while in use? Should I always start off with a fully charged GoPro battery?

Thanks
Cicada is offline Find More Posts by Cicada
Last edited by Cicada; Jul 13, 2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 06:44 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
280 Posts
Weight Zenmuse vs. Arris

For some reason (probably being on this forum lol) I decided to get a scale and weighed my Arris vs the Zenmuse. Both are using everything they need including a Hero3. On the Zenmuse I am including the PMU as well since that is necessary - if and when the replacement boards come you can save a good 28 grams. I am sure I could nip and tuck some grams here and there by shortening some cabling on the Zenmuse but as it is now it does all inclusive weigh a tiny bit more than the Arris.

That all being said a lot of that weight is central and inside the Phantom body rather than toward the nose of the craft. Can't wait to get it all installed it looks really well made, mine has no finish issues and looks brand new.
kazkioken is offline Find More Posts by kazkioken
Old Jul 13, 2013, 06:53 PM
Joined May 2013
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoship One View Post
We'll plan to offer a mounting solution to any of you with jury strut equipped airplanes who want to have a go at it.
https://vimeo.com/70256934
Mr. P. Ship the 1st,

If you're already selling the components, how bout a general package with everything you need in order to just unscrew the zenmuse from phantom (cage w/ handles & trays, Naza2, spare GCU, etc) and then operate handheld or aircraft mounted?

I'll pre-order Limiting the number of times we open up our phantoms and tug on cables is a good idea.

Also, you probably know all this better than I, but I'm guessing for most of us on full scale, the most common location would be suspended directly beneath a larger single strut.

P.S.: Thanks for being the test pilot for us!
FilmicFlyer is offline Find More Posts by FilmicFlyer
Old Jul 13, 2013, 06:59 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,735 Posts
So for a handheld, you need Naza-M, PMU, gimbal control unit, Zenmuse, and battery. GoPro3 of course.

Apart from H3-2D, it runs about $200+$65.00+GCU+battery. Imagine the GCU should eventually be available separately.

Probably a total of less than $400.00 plus whatever assembly configuration.
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
RCG Plus Member