HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2013, 05:45 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,341 Posts
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Last edited by flitelab; Jul 11, 2013 at 07:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2013, 05:53 PM
Japan, Fukuoka Prefecture, Fukuoka
Joined Jun 2012
861 Posts
Well, kinda a let down.... GoPro needs some protection on the Zenmuse. Flying it naked like that is a bit scary. If DJI turns around and releases some kinda lens protector I will be pissed
Bravia3D is offline Find More Posts by Bravia3D
Old Jul 11, 2013, 05:55 PM
Bad Gunkie
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,342 Posts
Well, Here's my video. In many instances, I was banging the sticks stop to stop and sometimes you can't even tell. This thing is awesome!

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

Zenmuse H3-2D Torture Test GoPro 3 Black 1080/30/M (6 min 27 sec)
badbill is online now Find More Posts by badbill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2013, 05:57 PM
Joined Dec 2005
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfr2000 View Post
Well I am sorry to report that my own experience thus far has not been good. I received my gimbal yesterday and installed it last night and it is not working, and I have not yet updated to 3.14, still on 3.12 here.

Not sure what is wrong but after the gimbal failed to initialize, I opened up my phantom, checked all wiring, connections, etc., and everything there seems correct. The gimbal appears to be getting power and I am hearing some noise coming from the motors but it is not doing what it is supposed to do.

I know I have a low post count here and some might think I don't know what I am doing here but I have had considerable past experience in working with electronic gear and started off my career doing digital circuit pack repair and troubleshooting for AT&T for a couple of years. Before working on my phantom Iast night I also replaced the power supply filter caps in an old Cerwin Vega subwoofer I have that had developed a nasty buzz, if that gives some idea of my experience level with electronics.

One thing I am noticing is that the GCU appears to have a small LED next to the port where the gimbal cable is plugged in, but it does not light up when the battery is connected. Is it supposed to? In any case, I think I am going to have
to send mine back, will be calling Dronefly later this morning.
Well for what it's worth, I found my problem and fixed it, and there was nothing wrong with the gimbal. I contacted my dealer for support and they suggested upgrading to 3.14. When I did that I discovered that I had an IMU initialization failure due to the z axis on the accelerometer being stuck. Keep in mind that I had not actually attempted to fly and was just checking out the gimbal and I didn't really look at the LED codes and I just presumed that when it didn't work right off the bat, it was a wiring or connection issue. But last time I'd flown I had a minor crash into some hedges and I guess that was enough to put the IMU out of whack. I did the old trick of removing the NAZA and banging on my desk and it is working again, and the gimbal is now working. Now I just have to put everything back together.
jfr2000 is offline Find More Posts by jfr2000
Old Jul 11, 2013, 06:02 PM
Joined Jun 2012
861 Posts
Zenmuse Flight Test 2 (7 min 25 sec)

Here is another flight I did yesterday morning. I can't stand when the GoPro faces the sun that the image gets so dark looking. Really does need a filter. I live near the train station and soccer field where they hold local and national soccer games here in Japan. Many famous teams have played here!

Yes, at the 5.45 mark that is my goofy ass checking the GoPro recording time.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 06:04 PM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Jun 2013
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravia3D View Post
Well, kinda a let down.... GoPro needs some protection on the Zenmuse. Flying it naked like that is a bit scary. If DJI turns around and releases some kinda lens protector I will be pissed
Well I ordered this don't know what affect it will have but I'm going to try it doesn't hardly weigh anything!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
photoboi is offline Find More Posts by photoboi
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 11, 2013, 06:09 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,806 Posts
Quote:

Here is another flight I did yesterday morning. I can't stand when the GoPro faces the sun that the image gets so dark looking. Really does need a filter.
What it needs is manual iris control.

- - david
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
Old Jul 11, 2013, 06:10 PM
Joined Jun 2012
861 Posts
photoboi, problem is you will not be able to use the GoPro attachment holder which will hold the cam onto the Zenmuse. The lens will get in the way. I have tried something like that already using a circular rubber piece and filter hooked on. If you use the attachment then put on the lens cover a bit, the edged will be in the video.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 06:17 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
It's such a small noise I am not even sure my cam could pick it up.
Ok... That's what I was getting at. There is always a pulse going to the motors as they need to stay in position.
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Jul 11, 2013, 06:18 PM
Joined Jun 2012
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
What it needs is manual iris control.

- - david
Yes indeed, that would be nice.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 06:19 PM
Joined Jun 2012
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
Ok... That's what I was getting at. There is always a pulse going to the motors as they need to stay in position.
Good to know, as it has been working amazingly I didn't think anything was wrong. Hopefully it always continues to work
Old Jul 11, 2013, 06:20 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
I agree but if they do they will surely add a firmware upgrade for it.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 06:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2013
214 Posts
Quote:
photoboi, problem is you will not be able to use the GoPro attachment holder which will hold the cam onto the Zenmuse. The lens will get in the way. I have tried something like that already using a circular rubber piece and filter hooked on. If you use the attachment then put on the lens cover a bit, the edged will be in the video.
It should fit with no issues as the little bar will fit next to it with no problems. see pic
Last edited by photoboi; Jul 23, 2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 06:21 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoboi View Post
Well I ordered this don't know what affect it will have but I'm going to try it doesn't hardly weigh anything!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yes it will affect it and by posting that here you have clearly voided any warranty if you use it. Good Luck

Last edited by HGT; Jul 11, 2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 06:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2013
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
Yes it will affect it and by posting that here you have clearly voided any warranty if you use it. Good Luck

Do you wana know how many warranty's I have voided in my life LOL
Are you the warranty police?
And I guess the small yellow pin strip I have on my gopro will void it as well?