http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Protec...ro3+protective
ariZedA is offline Find More Posts by ariZedA
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2013, 03:51 PM
MultiFreak
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2012
384 Posts
The motors are always moving (small movements that the naked eyes might not be able to detect) so the hum should be ok. Mine hums too

Question for people who mounts this gimbal on WKM. I used X2 for IOC but the h3-2d manual asks for X2 to be used for tilt control. Is it possible to use X3 for tilt comtrol or a better question is: can the tilt channel on h3-2d be driven with the regular 1000us-2000us servo control signal?
hththt is offline Find More Posts by hththt
Old Jul 11, 2013, 04:11 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravia3D View Post
HighGain do you think flying with it on would ruin the motors? I haven't flown yet but after your post a bit nervous to. It's pretty light weight and a tight fit but if you feel it may do damage I will scrap that idea.

By the way, my Zenmuse motors always hum when powered on even without it moving. That is normal correct? Just a bit worried from those saying theirs made noise and then wasn't working anymore.
The work that was done with the Leather is killer but I would not try to use the Gimbal with it.

Look at the size of the stepper motor used to move a small Gauge needle and more importantly the counter balancing. These are the Dashes I repair but mostly change out the LED's to different and multiple colors. Imagine the work that went into balancing the H3-2D? I will assure you the leather cover has it completely out of it's original balance.

The humming may be normal at the frequency they are driven at but as an engineering opinion, shouldn't be necessary. I will assume this will be corrected. What firmware version are you using?

HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Jul 11, 2013, 04:17 PM
Ireland
Joined Mar 2013
3,635 Posts
HGT
Does this hold true for all brushless gimbals,,,i ask specifically in relation to the Tarot t2 ive ordered. Will i have to have the gopro on it prior to power up?

sorry for slight OT deviation.
eirlink is online now Find More Posts by eirlink
Old Jul 11, 2013, 04:17 PM
Japan, Fukuoka Prefecture, Fukuoka
Joined Jun 2012
809 Posts
I am on firmware 3.14, it has been humming since first installed and never had problems. I have not flown with the leather cover on at all. Other mentioned the humming is normal but was a bit worried by a few that stated their's was humming then failed or smoked.

Hmm, well the leather cover idea is scrapped.. I do not wish to ruin my motors. I wonder if it could handle just the front leather piece cover held on with a rubberband and then a polarizer lens sticker over the lens to protect it?
Bravia3D is offline Find More Posts by Bravia3D
Old Jul 11, 2013, 04:20 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Can you go back to 3.12 and check for the humming?
Old Jul 11, 2013, 04:22 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
[QUOTE=Bravia3D;25545772 I wonder if it could handle just the front leather piece cover held on with a rubberband and then a polarizer lens sticker over the lens to protect it?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't... DJI says to not even use a lens cover. It isn't so much as the balance as the programming for the counter balance also.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 04:23 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirlink View Post
HGT
Does this hold true for all brushless gimbals,,,i ask specifically in relation to the Tarot t2 ive ordered. Will i have to have the gopro on it prior to power up?

Absolutely...

I wish I had a demo here to show you some things that can go wrong and why not to do this but as of now I don't
Old Jul 11, 2013, 04:24 PM
Joined Jun 2012
809 Posts
HighGain, when I first installed it was on 3.12 and hummed also. I am not having any problems but as others have said it does make a small hum even when not moving.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 04:26 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Ok... Can you post video of the humming? What you can hear, I may not be able to. I would like to listen to the frequency if that makes sense. Add some background speech so I know what I am comparing to. A condenser mic can pick up and exaggerate normal noise.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 04:32 PM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Jun 2013
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravia3D View Post
HighGain, when I first installed it was on 3.12 and hummed also. I am not having any problems but as others have said it does make a small hum even when not moving.
Mine hums or sounds like blowing air
photoboi is offline Find More Posts by photoboi
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 11, 2013, 04:33 PM
Joined Jun 2012
809 Posts
I'll do my best, no time at the moment as I preparing for work. But perhaps tonight I can. It's such a small noise I am not even sure my cam could pick it up.

The best to describe is, pick up your Phantom with the Zenmuse on. Move it around a bit and you can hear the motors working. Set it down and don't touch it and see if they still make noise. Mine do. It does not make any noise until the gimble moves a bit, then it makes motor noise even when setting still. It's a very low motor noise. It seems normal as others have mentioned it also.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 04:34 PM
Osprey
Joined Jan 2013
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoboi View Post
Thought i would repost this to this thread for the gimbal test .

Ok so now I have the 2- 4s 5000mAh 30c batteries and I got about 18 mins flight time with 2% left on each battery with about 1:33 min of ideal time at the start. (No I
https://vimeo.com/70138319
Never ever fly a Lipo battery that low. I always try to land with 30% left. If you go below 20% you will seriously shorten the life of the Lipo and it may even catch on fire or explode if done repeatedly. Often the % will go up after the Lipo cools by as much as 5%. But get in the habit of landing with 30% or so left, your Lipos will love you for it. And for the first 5 flights only run them down to 50% or so. That is a good way to break them in. Also when they are new only charge at 1C or less. Lipos are expensive. So take care of them.

If they get that low check if they are hot, I bet they are and see if they are puffed. This is a bad sign and will shorten the life even if the puffing goes down.

Also check that your motors are not to hot after a long flight. I check my motors ESCs and Lipos with an IR thermometer. All my MRs stay below 120℉ my 450 stayed at 110 even after a 8 minute flight with 3S 4000 35C Lipo.

My S800 and F550 stay at similar temps. Make sure all the motors/ESC's stay about the same temp if some are hotter your CG is off or you have a growing problem, catch it before it gets expensive.

An IR thermometer is a cheap early warning system for MRs.
westsideav is offline Find More Posts by westsideav
Old Jul 11, 2013, 04:39 PM
Quad Pilot
Joined Jan 2013
1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirlink View Post
HGT

Yes, the gimbals have a pre-calibration based on GoPro weight and location in gimbal. In addition, if you power on the gimbal without the camera, motors may become hot because stress trying to level.
Jumanoc is offline Find More Posts by Jumanoc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2013, 04:43 PM
Ireland
Joined Mar 2013
3,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumanoc View Post
Yes, the gimbals have a pre-calibration based on GoPro weight and location in gimbal. In addition, if you power on the gimbal without the camera, motors may become hot for stress.
thank you
i wont be powering the gimbal unless the gp is onboard.
Anyway the motors are only 10Euro each if i do smoke em !
cheap replacement parts are the key in this hobby, right down to the components of the gimbal. happy with my purchase based on this logic!

back on topic
eirlink is online now Find More Posts by eirlink