HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2013, 07:15 AM
Joined Apr 2013
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdrone View Post
I'll update on brokerage/customs cost from UPS from shapeways as soon as I get it. The fatsharks (dominator v2) googles are what I'm solely using right now but I would like a screen which can get the feed from the googles/receiver. I'm guessing your in Canada too?
A few hours north of Toronto.

Did you have any problems with the fatshark antenae location? Does it sit underneath behind the gimbal?

Still deciding how i should proceed with fpv.
Cody2015 is offline Find More Posts by Cody2015
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2013, 07:42 AM
Osprey
Joined Jan 2013
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
thanks.

saw that one by DJ.

Anyone have one on a 450 or 450 sized frame?

thanks

- - david
I posted installed photos on a F450 here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1638

I will post test video today as it seems the torrential rains have seized for a bit.
westsideav is offline Find More Posts by westsideav
Old Jul 11, 2013, 07:43 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,342 Posts
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Last edited by flitelab; Jul 11, 2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 08:28 AM
NJ
Joined Jan 2000
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDPG2 View Post
It would be nice If you could turn off the OSD the gopro outputs , it makes it difficult to read the DJI iODS text.
Figured it out, there is an option on the GoPro setup menu to turn off their OSD.

Also, someone in an earlier post mentioned the total current draw of the Gimbal + the GoPro + the Control unit. In my current set up the red wire is not connected to the GoPro, its being powered internally. If that's the case not sure how you measured the GoPro's power draw.
JDPG2 is offline Find More Posts by JDPG2
Old Jul 11, 2013, 08:53 AM
Pointy end up.
Canada, ON, Tobermory
Joined Feb 2013
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody2015 View Post
A few hours north of Toronto.

Did you have any problems with the fatshark antenae location? Does it sit underneath behind the gimbal?

Still deciding how i should proceed with fpv.
Before the gimbal I used to have the video tx velcroed to the bottom rear of the Phantom. After installing the gimbal I moved it to the angled side of the belly of the Phantom. Have only tried one test flight with it in this position but it seems ok. I'll post a pic tonight after work and hopefully test it more for interference/range. One thing I like with the new video tx placement is it gets it a little further away from the Phantom antenna.
jamesdrone is offline Find More Posts by jamesdrone
Old Jul 11, 2013, 09:18 AM
Quad Pilot
Joined Jan 2013
1,065 Posts
ZenMuse H3-D2 issue

I want to share thist post commented by a ZenMuse H3-D2 owner in another forum. You can find it useful or just discard it as your own consideration:

"Sadly joining the club of dead gimbal owners. Luckily I took a shot of the gimbal when it started "sreaming". ....I recorded the video for my dealer, who said, hissing is normal. Well, looks like hissing/humming is the pre-stage to death. I reconnected the power a few times the next day and with my last attempt, I had a little cloud of smoke coming from the blackbox directly situated on the gimbal.
----------
DJI has contacted my reseller and my reseller has contacted me. Looks like DJI knows about the problem and it might come from 3.14, which introduced a hz-count drop-down. It might be that the gimbals are driven with the wrong hz-count and this drives them too hot and burns them out. I have been offered an RMA and need to send the gimbal for repair/exchange to DJI. Sounds like a rather long process, argh!"
Jumanoc is offline Find More Posts by Jumanoc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2013, 09:37 AM
Czech Republic, Karlovy Vary Region
Joined May 2013
411 Posts
Repair to directly DJI ?
That should change seller-dealer under warranty?
gardenroute is offline Find More Posts by gardenroute
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Go Africa 2013 Expedition
Old Jul 11, 2013, 09:40 AM
Joined Dec 2005
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumanoc View Post
I want to share thist post commented by a ZenMuse H3-D2 owner in another forum. You can find it useful or just discard it as your own consideration:

"Sadly joining the club of dead gimbal owners. Luckily I took a shot of the gimbal when it started "sreaming". ....I recorded the video for my dealer, who said, hissing is normal. Well, looks like hissing/humming is the pre-stage to death. I reconnected the power a few times the next day and with my last attempt, I had a little cloud of smoke coming from the blackbox directly situated on the gimbal.
----------
DJI has contacted my reseller and my reseller has contacted me. Looks like DJI knows about the problem and it might come from 3.14, which introduced a hz-count drop-down. It might be that the gimbals are driven with the wrong hz-count and this drives them too hot and burns them out. I have been offered an RMA and need to send the gimbal for repair/exchange to DJI. Sounds like a rather long process, argh!"
Well I am sorry to report that my own experience thus far has not been good. I received my gimbal yesterday and installed it last night and it is not working, and I have not yet updated to 3.14, still on 3.12 here.

Not sure what is wrong but after the gimbal failed to initialize, I opened up my phantom, checked all wiring, connections, etc., and everything there seems correct. The gimbal appears to be getting power and I am hearing some noise coming from the motors but it is not doing what it is supposed to do.

I know I have a low post count here and some might think I don't know what I am doing here but I have had considerable past experience in working with electronic gear and started off my career doing digital circuit pack repair and troubleshooting for AT&T for a couple of years. Before working on my phantom Iast night I also replaced the power supply filter caps in an old Cerwin Vega subwoofer I have that had developed a nasty buzz, if that gives some idea of my experience level with electronics.

One thing I am noticing is that the GCU appears to have a small LED next to the port where the gimbal cable is plugged in, but it does not light up when the battery is connected. Is it supposed to? In any case, I think I am going to have
to send mine back, will be calling Dronefly later this morning.
jfr2000 is offline Find More Posts by jfr2000
Old Jul 11, 2013, 09:43 AM
Joined Sep 2011
696 Posts
Quote:
I had a little cloud of smoke coming from the blackbox directly situated on the gimbal.
----------
DJI Innovations Flame Wheel ARF with Flame Gimbal ?

I have also heard about the buzzing problems.
beamen is offline Find More Posts by beamen
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:01 AM
by Alary Design
Mesa, AZ
Joined May 2002
1,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravia3D View Post
Alright, so as I mentioned before my biggest fear with the Zenmuse is crashing ruining the Zenmuse and the GoPro. Then I'd be out almost $1,000!! That would just really make me upset if it was to happen. I am sure it would make many of you upset also.
I am so picky I don't even want small scratches on mine or my GoPro lens.

So, I think I have solved the problem

This is made out of 100% real leather and uses a small polarizer filter I cut which can be removed easily and attaches with velcro. The main cover weighs 15.5g and with the polarizer lens cover it weighs 23.5g all total 0.05 pounds. It covers the front and back also. You don't need to use the GoPro holder attachment as this will hold the cam on without it.
Neat.... But understand that DJI does not authorize the use of that type of accessorizing and modification as noted in the warranty section of the manual. It 'may' lead to a warranty claim denial.

In my opinion provided it's a good tight fit and does not adversely affect balance it shouldn't be an issue. You could probably sell a handful of those. Hell... I'd try one.
Photoship One is offline Find More Posts by Photoship One
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:39 AM
Support yer local CharlieSheen
Joined May 2011
1,053 Posts
Quote:

----------
Mine screamed too, only I was on 3.12. Looks like dji has a problem child...
isaacintheclouds is offline Find More Posts by isaacintheclouds
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:42 AM
Osprey
Joined Jan 2013
293 Posts
First test flight with the H3-2D Zen

https://vimeo.com/westsideav/review/70118771/d126acb1c1

I fit in a 7 minute flight this morning, still w/o the VDL, it should be here today according to USPS tracking.

I was happy to get 7 minutes flying on a Thunder Power 3300 45C 3S and I still had 30% left, total time on was over 9 minutes.

I was lucky to get a flight in between heavy rain showers.

I was pretty heavy on the controls and did some fast ascends and descents, this always makes the 450 shake a bit, there is only one time on a descent I saw the turbulent flight come through the gimbal. I have to analyze a bit more.

GPS mode held very well with the new FW (all the latest on my rig).

My first impression is much better than my Yun-1, it wonders and sometimes horizon goes out. This is much close to my Z15/S800 rig.

UPDATE: My VDL just arrived at the PO, I am off to pick it up and install for another flight later today if the WX cooperates.

Photos of my rig are in this post:

I will post the video here as soon as Vimeo is done compressing it.

H3-2D Zen Test 1 (7 min 25 sec)
Last edited by westsideav; Jul 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:32 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideav View Post
https://vimeo.com/westsideav/review/70118771/d126acb1c1

I fit in a 7 minute flight this morning, still w/o the VDL, it should be here today according to USPS tracking.

I was happy to get 7 minutes flying on a Thunder Power 3300 45C 3S and I still had 30% left, total time on was over 9 minutes.

I am just uploading the RAW video right now. I was lucky to get a flight in between heavy rain showers.

I was pretty heavy on the controls and did some fast ascends and descents, this always makes the 450 shake a bit, there is only one tome on a descent I saw the turbulent flight come through the gimbal. I have to analyze a bit more.

GPS mode held very well with the new FW (all the latest on my rig).

Photos of my rig are in this post:

I will post the video here as soon as Vimeo is done compressing it.

https://vimeo.com/70118771
Upon descent with your multicopter, try to desend at an angle on the way down, what happens when desending directly down in a 180* plane, is the multicopter is desending through it's own prop wash creating the effects your describing and the larger the props, the worse the wobble (this also depends on weight). Lots of pilots think they have to adjust gain settings to fix this action when in fact if the descent was at an angle, no wobble would be occuring provided your gain is set appropriately. Hope this helps.
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:44 AM
Osprey
Joined Jan 2013
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZACATTACK View Post
Upon descent with your multicopter, try to desend at an angle on the way down, what happens when desending directly down in a 180* plane, is the multicopter is desending through it's own prop wash creating the effects your describing and the larger the props, the worse the wobble (this also depends on weight). Lots of pilots think they have to adjust gain settings to fix this action when in fact if the descent was at an angle, no wobble would be occuring provided your gain is set appropriately. Hope this helps.
That is a good comment. Thanks.

I know about the dirty air, I have written about it myself. I was doing this on purpose to see how the MiniZen would handle it, compared to the S800. The S800 does a better job on this because of the 3 axis stabilization, but the mini is not bad.

As you may notice I was flying in a very tight spot, and I was testing to see how responsive the kit is. These are factory settings on the gain. I will probably if anything dial the gains down a bit. The 450 was very responsive. I think the 45C battery helps that a lot.

I like knowing that fast descents or quick moves are possible just in case...

I think this rig will be a great compliment to my S800/Zenmuse, it will go places I don't dare fly the "big rig". It is very nimble.

Now I have to install the VDL and test it...
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:02 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,196 Posts
New Shipment Arriving At Rc-Drones

Our next order of gimbals is out for del now.
As of now I will have 10 available that we have not already pre-sold.

http://rc-drones.com/Zenmuse-H3-2D-Gimbal.php
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor