HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:22 PM
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Feb 2013
407 Posts
Rant
Lipo Connectors!!

Why does every Lipo have to have a diff connector. I suck at soldering and is very aggrivating!! I'll spen a hour on just on Eflight EC3!!
cessna20122013 is offline Find More Posts by cessna20122013
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:50 PM
Joined Dec 2012
48 Posts
Ec3s are about the easiest connector to solder. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes. Youtube has some videos showing how to solder them.
CrashnBurn420 is online now Find More Posts by CrashnBurn420
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:13 PM
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Feb 2013
407 Posts
maybe my solder iron doesnt get hot enugh cause its not as easy as the videos. I cant tin the wire or connector. seems like it does not get hot very fast. Its a cheap radio shack iron.
cessna20122013 is offline Find More Posts by cessna20122013
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:21 PM
Cats can fly!
Joined Jun 2012
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna20122013 View Post
maybe my solder iron doesnt get hot enugh cause its not as easy as the videos. I cant tin the wire or connector. seems like it does not get hot very fast. Its a cheap radio shack iron.
In that case, you're done before you start. I use a Weller 100/140 watt soldering gun. Lots of heat for even the thickest gauge wires. The smaller (<50W) soldering pencils used for electronics will not work. I also use EC3's and they are quick to install with the right tools.
neon the cat is offline Find More Posts by neon the cat
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:37 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,528 Posts
Quote:
I used one like this for years and had lots of trouble. Was always taught not to oveheat stuff and use a low wattage device. Then I learned that high wattage was better because you can heat and get out quick. I bought this and my soldering has been transformed. I look forward to soldering now.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...arehouse_.html

Even with shipping this is dirt cheap for this station which is a clone of a t$100 soldering station.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:41 PM
Head full of foam
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Jan 2013
324 Posts
Part of it is probably the iron. Part of it is usually the tip. You not only need the wattage to heat the tip, you need a tip big enough to hold all the heat you're about to transfer. Youtube, and don't look at any of the surface mount vids, they will steer you in the OPPOSITE direction.

Edit: And flux, google "kester flux pen". See if you can find a #186. Will really help with getting the solder to "wet out".
RuralFPV is offline Find More Posts by RuralFPV
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:44 PM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,058 Posts
You must keep the tip clean for good heat transfer. Use a damp sponge between tinnings to keep it shiny. Also, make sure your solder is 60/40 (tin/lead) to promote easy flowing. Practice on some scrap wire until it becomes second nature. It is an indispensable skill for electric fliers.
whitecrest is offline Find More Posts by whitecrest
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:48 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
Last year I found a video that made a huge difference in the ease of doing EC3 and EC5 connectors. I can't find it now but here is the idea. Don't hold the iron by hand. Tape it vertically to a block of wood with the hot end up. File the tip so you can put an EC connector on the tip with the solder pot facing up. let it sit there until its good and hot. Then put a little solder into the cup. Then insert the already tinned wire end. Make sure it remelts the tinned wire end and everything is molten. Then use pliers to lift the connector off the iron. Hold it still until the solder hardens. Then while its still warm press it into the plastic part with a 1.5mm hex driver.

You do need a decent size iron. 45 watts seems to be enough for even EC5's and should be plenty of EC3 but more would be better. I have never liked guns that much.
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:56 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
I found the video. This is the best way to solder EC type connectors.
http://www.maydayrc.com/neat-way-to-solder-ec3-plugs/
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:45 PM
United States, WI, Slinger
Joined Mar 2006
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neon the cat View Post
In that case, you're done before you start. I use a Weller 100/140 watt soldering gun. Lots of heat for even the thickest gauge wires. The smaller (<50W) soldering pencils used for electronics will not work. I also use EC3's and they are quick to install with the right tools.
You do not need a 50W iron to solder these connectors. I use a Weller WLC-100 soldering station with a 40W iron and it's plenty for the EC3, EC5, Deans, whatever. I also have a Weller 200/260W gun but I rarely need it for soldering connectors unless I'm soldering 10 gauge wire. As mentioned you need a large tip but you definitely do not need more than about a 40W iron.

Mike
MikeCr is offline Find More Posts by MikeCr
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:41 PM
Joined Dec 2012
48 Posts
I bought the weller 40watt pen type from home depot a few years ago and i has served me well for these connectors. The biggest thing is you need to keep the tip tinned and very clean. Once you let it get all gunked up with crap it's not going to transfer heat well.
CrashnBurn420 is online now Find More Posts by CrashnBurn420
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:52 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ware
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
One thing to avoid with EC3 is allowing any solder to run down the outside as there is a small groove that locates it into the insulator
If you paint some white typing correction fluid ( Tibbex ) on the outside the solder will not stick and is easy to remove
Be careful putting the insert into the insulator as if you are holding it with your fingers the screwdriver can slip and go into your finger
Yes I did it but only once
Just a bit of practise will see right
Cheers Jim

Quote:
Why does every Lipo have to have a diff connector. I suck at soldering and is very aggrivating!! I'll spen a hour on just on Eflight EC3!!
Jimob23 is offline Find More Posts by Jimob23
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:20 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCr View Post
You do not need a 50W iron to solder these connectors. I use a Weller WLC-100 soldering station with a 40W iron and it's plenty for the EC3, EC5, Deans, whatever. I also have a Weller 200/260W gun but I rarely need it for soldering connectors unless I'm soldering 10 gauge wire. As mentioned you need a large tip but you definitely do not need more than about a 40W iron.

Mike
Ditto.

I have a 40w iron and solder 10ga wire to 6mm bullets. I all happens very quick & easy with plenty of heat.

Usually the problem is the use of metal alligator clips or pliers. They'll suck up all the heat, which will require a higher wattage iron.
Holders made out of wood are the ticket. Wood blocks, clothes pins, etc.
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:20 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,486 Posts
if you hate soldering check out Power Poles they crimp on youll need to get a crimping tool for them but its so much easier
Elios000 is online now Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:47 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elios000 View Post
if you hate soldering check out Power Poles they crimp on youll need to get a crimping tool for them but its so much easier
I was just about to say the same thing. APPs with a crimp tool allows you to install connectors in seconds.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member