HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:36 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,899 Posts
Re the Peter Hunt R/C book. He was a leading U.K. experimenter in radio control of model aircraft, I certainly have a picture of him in an Aeromodeller of 1946/47 vintage showing off a KK Falcon with a cabin full of radio gear. So I see no reason why the 1944 publication date shouldn't be correct.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:54 AM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
484 Posts
The jigsaw tool was a popular Christmas gift in the fifties. The helicopter remains a dream, too expensive at this time.

Heinz
hastf1b is offline Find More Posts by hastf1b
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:21 AM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
484 Posts
With this gyroscope I played for hours as a child. It is still the original from that time. Picture three shows a modern copy.

Heinz
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:28 AM
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Sep 2008
3,532 Posts
Scan of a Scientific Model Airplane Co catalogue in my collection of gas models offered. The 5.50 USD of 1940 Mercury would be roughly 72.00 USD today. A Brown Junior engine for the 6 foot wingspan Mercury would have been 21.00 USD or 285.00 USD in 2013 money.
Average1940 hourly pay for a trademan in the Northeast US would have been about 1.05 USD. It would have taken over a half week's pay to build a flyable model by time all the bits were aquired.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Eagle has landed
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:35 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hastf1b View Post
With this gyroscope I played for hours as a child.
Me too....
As you can see, I've still got it.
Somehow I managed to break a leg of the Eiffel Tower some time back in the 50's, but the gyroscope can do a lot of other tricks, such as walking the tightrope (one end is slotted)....

I oiled it up and had a couple of runs for the camera....great fun..!!

Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Feb 24, 2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:19 AM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadchucker View Post
Scan of a Scientific Model Airplane Co catalogue in my collection of gas models offered. The 5.50 USD of 1940 Mercury would be roughly 72.00 USD today. A Brown Junior engine for the 6 foot wingspan Mercury would have been 21.00 USD or 285.00 USD in 2013 money.
Average1940 hourly pay for a trademan in the Northeast US would have been about 1.05 USD. It would have taken over a half week's pay to build a flyable model by time all the bits were aquired.
No wonder 'dime scale' was so prevalent in those days.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:43 AM
Joined Sep 2008
3,024 Posts
I guess most of you are familiar to this...!

Shown below is a wild mix of the British 'HORNBY', German 'MÄRKLIN', and the Swedish 'TEKNIK' sets, all three beeing fully compatible to each other.....

Exception: Bolts & nuts.....keeping metric & imperial fasteners separated is a must, or you're in great trouble...

Like aeromodelling, this is lifelong addictive...you'll never get too old to fiddle with these bits....
Old Mar 03, 2013, 07:11 AM
Joined Sep 2008
3,024 Posts
Quote:
The jigsaw tool was a popular Christmas gift in the fifties.
Oh yes...!....and I've never abandoned this basic method of fretsawing...silent, not producing/spreading much dust, portable...
I've even made a new fretsaw board/clamp, similar to the one I had as a kid...just a bit larger...

Even though electric fretsaws are good, IMHO they cannot beat the manual method to 100%, particularily when it comes to noise level, portability...and peacefulness..!

Last edited by Gluehand; Mar 03, 2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 02:59 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,872 Posts
Quote:
With this gyroscope I played for hours as a child. It is still the original from that time. Picture three shows a modern copy.

Heinz
Lol ! I still have mine but somewhere in the kid's room. It came with a miniature Eiffel Tower to put the gyroscope on at the top. But here is the very latest model with a tiny electric motor to run it up. Next the primitive helicopter I used to play with as a kid, wonder they survived all these years.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Mar 03, 2013, 03:12 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,872 Posts
Zzzzzzzzzzz

How about this attache-case ? Marklin's smallest, the Z-spur. Ideal for long distance airplane travelling.....
Old Mar 03, 2013, 03:22 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,872 Posts
OK one more...

This was made by a friend of mine that's into plastic modelling, the start of a Morgan rally diorama measuring 30x30cm only, lot's of things going on, fully equipped workshop, sunbathers, and even more naughty things happening at the back....
Old Mar 03, 2013, 03:25 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand View Post
Oh yes...!....and I've never abandoned this basic method of fretsawing...silent, not producing/spreading much dust, portable...
I've even made a new fretsaw board/clamp, similar to the one I had as a kid...just a bit larger...

Even though electric fretsaws are good, IMHO they cannot beat the manual method to 100%, particularily when it comes to noise level, portability...and peacefulness..!

All modern goldsmiths still use this altough a little better saw quality
Old Mar 03, 2013, 03:51 PM
Joined Sep 2008
3,024 Posts
Here's a very old adjusteable wrench.....about the same design as held by the young man on the other photo...
The young man is my grandad, and the photo is probably taken 1915-18 or thereabout...

Guess the bike, anyone..?

Old Mar 03, 2013, 04:36 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
How about this attache-case ? Marklin's smallest, the Z-spur. Ideal for long distance airplane travelling.....
Nice. I've got a vintage HO Märklin layout which my father purchased sometime in the '50s. It's all packed up in boxes right now.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Mar 03, 2013, 04:42 PM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
484 Posts
Another toy that is unaffordable at this time. If one was allowed to watch in "rich" friends times when the steam engine was running again had something to dream for several days. (The picture shows a newer steam engine.)

Heinz