HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:34 PM
USA, VA, Harrisonburg
Joined Jul 2005
61 Posts
Question
Turnigy 9x w/ OrangeDSM DSM2 module problems

I bought a 9X turnigy radio and the DSM/DSM2 module to go with it. I have several orange DSM2 6 channel and 4 channel micro Rx's that work just fine. The problem I have is when I bind and try to use this radio with a micro Cub or Blade CMX heli I dont have the right stick to servo response so I can not fly them. They work just fine with the little Eflite radios that came with them.but with the 9x it seems the elevator is on the rudder stick the throttle is on the aileron stick and no rudder at all. I know it sounds like mode1 but I have checked this. I have it in the correct Mode which is Mode 2 the other RX's are just fine. Just the EFlite aircraft with AR6400 bricks are wrong. I also have 2 other AR6400 bricks that I was planning on putting in 2 BSDMicro Titan seaplanes. The reason for buying the 9X Turnigy was it has 8 model memory and I can fly them all with one transmitter.

ANY help would be appreciated

Pete
jmupilot is offline Find More Posts by jmupilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:01 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
If you are using Er9x firmware there are settings ( not changing modes) that respond to the channels such as aert, reat etc can't be exact cos I'm waiting for a new one.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:35 PM
USA, VA, Harrisonburg
Joined Jul 2005
61 Posts
not sure of that. It is the newest V2 software it just came yesterday. I ordered it about 3 weeks ago. The Orange DSM module does have 4 different settings I'm guessing its for enconding different Rx's.DSM2 1024/22ms, DSM2 2048/11ms, DSMX22ms, and DSMx11ms
I have tried all of these and the first 2 are the only ones the AR6400 brick sees.
It is my first radio like this, althought I have been in the hobby for 40 yrs. I have 2 Futaba 8UAP module radios that I am thinking of buying a Orange DSM module for them to try. I am familiar with the Futaba set ups.
The AR6400 responds its just not the right channel for stick movement. This radio has 4 different mode settings 1,2,3,4. They just change the channel the stick is changing not the actual channel the Rx sees. Tried all 4 of these also. Sorry if this should be in another thread but I am into micros and thought it would be a good place to start since alot of you use the AR6400 bricks.
Pete
jmupilot is offline Find More Posts by jmupilot
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:05 PM
M16 CIII/AR15/FN 2000 and PS90
United States, AR, Waldron
Joined Jan 2005
521 Posts
Looking at HK site there are 5 globe unique identity codes you push some button three times rapidly then bind if it does not work correctly push the button three times again and then try to bind again, keep trying till right code is found. Do not know if this is the problem but may be worth a try.
Denile is offline Find More Posts by Denile
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:41 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
You need to get this http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=331 and flash your 9x with ER9x/Open9x.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Jun 05, 2013, 09:06 AM
Joined May 2008
32 Posts
I have the exact same issue I posted over in the Radios section http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1905195 If I get a definitive answer I will be sure to let you know too!
doodlewhale is offline Find More Posts by doodlewhale
Old Jun 05, 2013, 10:21 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
Yeah , ok what you need to do (ER9X) is goto menu 10 right at the bottom and change channel order to TAER , next goto menu 5 and it should now read Throttle aileron elevator rudder going downwards.

You can flash your radio using an arduino pro mini if you have one.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Jun 06, 2013, 10:15 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,749 Posts
problem is probly the V2 software. (it sucks big time)
upgrade the firmware. ER9x i hear is great. i used open9x, every feature in the book. but its a geeks firmware.

get the spartie parts board, unless ur comfortable with SMD soldering by hand. (might get one used)

lots of tutorials on flashing turnigy 9x.

cant really comment on probblem solving in the stock firmware.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:23 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Apr 2013
145 Posts
I think you will need the er9x firmware. With this firmware, you can assign any stick to any receiver channel (in the mixer section). Some bricks, like the Champ and J3 bricks, have the aileron stick controlling the rudder servo, other bricks with aileron servo outputs use the standard JR/Spektrum TAER for channels 1 to 4. The only possible gotcha with the Orange module that I can see, is that some bricks use DSM2 and others use DSM2/DSMX, and the Orange module chooses which mode to use during binding. If the brick is DSMX capable, the Orange module wants to choose DSMX and cannot be forced into DSM2 (in my experience). If you want to use a mix of models with DSM2 and DSMX bricks, I think you will have to rebind for each type. However, the Orange module seems to give a lot more range when flying, I have not experienced signal loss since using mine, but did have quite a few signal dropouts with the stock HZ/PZ transmitters when I got too high and too far away.

BTW I really like the er9x firmware, it is a joy to use and I wish I had gone this route sooner rather than later...

Edit: I tested the Orange module on DSM2 and DSMX bricks, there is no need to rebind for each brick, but you do have to push the button (3 times quickly) on the back of the Orange module to change between DSM2 and DSMX modes.
Ian444 is offline Find More Posts by Ian444
Last edited by Ian444; Jul 05, 2013 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Added info.