HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2013, 09:03 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacon View Post
Thank you Otto, you are a source of encouragement for many of us...
I will post the graphics as I get them done, I have one arm, but I need so much more.

I am assuming that you print the graphics on paper, then apply (spray glue 3M 77?) to the foam, right?
No, that approach is heavy. I just spray paint the body parts before assembly. Head graphics I have done many ways including the method mentioned, which is the most cost effective.
Otto Dieffenbach is offline Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying Witch over San Diego
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2013, 09:41 AM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,966 Posts
So I guess I better get good with an air brush. It is a skill I have needed to learn for a long time, as all I can do now is palm trees...(boring)

Thanks
dbacon is offline Find More Posts by dbacon
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:04 PM
jimsyak54
United States, CA, Moreno Valley
Joined Mar 2006
272 Posts
Quote:
Well I have been working on a FlyHulk in Corel Draw X5, would those files help you? I started by copying Otto's FlyGal as a pattern, because it had the biggest chest. I like the big chest because it lands better. The other part that I like is unfortunately lost in the conversion to FlyHulk, but I will still put park flyer wheels there.

They are not complete, because I am waiting for an interface for my plotter before I finalize the drawings. If I can get it running, I won't have to tile it. Actually I have two plotters, hope I can get one running...
That would be great. I want to do this in corel that way I can do my design on print media, in some cases it is lighter than paint as long as you don't laminate it. but another plus side is it adds strength to the depron. I was looking to some sort of super hero "lol"
jimsyak54 is offline Find More Posts by jimsyak54
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2013, 01:17 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsyak54 View Post
That would be great. I want to do this in corel that way I can do my design on print media, in some cases it is lighter than paint as long as you don't laminate it. but another plus side is it adds strength to the depron. I was looking to some sort of super hero "lol"
The lightest print media I've found is 0.4oz per sqft. Do you have something lighter? Remember every oz on the feet requires 3 oz on the front of the head. He gets heavy fast.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2013, 07:55 PM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,966 Posts
Yes Otto, at one time I had dreams of printing out planes from Fiddlers Green (Great scale stuff) and gluing it to Depron, turns out the paper weighed more than the Depron!

And jimsyak54, I will post the Corel file here, disgiused as a "zip" file, but it is not!
Tell me if it worked...
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:24 AM
jimsyak54
Joined Mar 2006
272 Posts
Thank you dbacon, turns out I had to download Corel Draw X6 to get it to work, was able to get both your file and bobs files loaded, I downloaded the trial for X6 and now I am going to do the upgrade after the trial runs out, as far as the media goes, the thinnest is the 2 mil and I have covered standard 12 to 17 oz foamies complete top and bottom and it only added no more than 3 oz at the most, now I fully understand the difference with this design from Otto because of the unique shape and CG location, once I cut out my flyguy I will cut some patterns and get a exact weight of the graphics and go from there, I already have Pamela Anderson in a thong on file and can scale her to the flygirl 61 size "lol"
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2013, 03:28 PM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,966 Posts
You will cause traffic accidents. But I bet she will land without doing the face-plant FlyGuy does!
Do you think CG will be a problem? Is "chest heavy" like "nose heavy"?
Old Apr 17, 2013, 04:55 PM
jimsyak54
Joined Mar 2006
272 Posts
Quote:
You will cause traffic accidents. But I bet she will land without doing the face-plant FlyGuy does!
Do you think CG will be a problem? Is "chest heavy" like "nose heavy"?
I have a lot of trial and error to play with thats for sure, but I am going to experiment with lighting holes and patterns in all the key areas, the wrap will cover all the holes and that way I can compensate for the added weight of the vinyl graphics, I know Otto has done his homework with the designs and has most likely tried everything with it, but on the other hand small mods can make it either better or worse, I am not looking to change anything on it, just want to make it look as real as it possibly can from head to toe and still make it fun to fly, I myself have never been fond of paint (especially on foam) by the time you make it look halfway descent with paint you have added quite a bit of weight by volume even though 30% of it has evaporated while curing.
It's just going to be one of those things that work or doesn't "lol" anyways thanks again for your help.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2013, 06:06 PM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,966 Posts
Vinyl graphics? Yikes, why not paper, it seems that a lot of weight could be saved...
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:55 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,776 Posts
Jack in the Box Flyguy at Del Mar Beach.

Jack in the Box Flying at Del Mar Beach by Otto Dieffenbach (1 min 5 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:59 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Mar 2004
1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Dieffenbach View Post
Jack in the Box Flyguy at Del Mar Beach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXMDDKaKnNk
Cool video!
Hi Otto, can you show how you made and mount Jack's head and hat? Thanks
lv2soar is offline Find More Posts by lv2soar
Old Apr 22, 2013, 01:18 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2soar View Post
Cool video!
Hi Otto, can you show how you made and mount Jack's head and hat? Thanks
The head and hat were carved from internet pics of Jack from 1 lb foam. Simple 12" ball and a split cone for the hat. Then I hollowed it all for weight savings. The head is a tight fit over the original laminated head profile and is removed for transport. It also allows me to have multiple heads.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2013, 01:26 PM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,966 Posts
Multiple heads? like Zaphod Beeblebrox in Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaphod_Beeblebrox
Egad!
Old Apr 23, 2013, 04:11 PM
JimmyB
United Kingdom, England, Farnham
Joined Apr 2013
34 Posts
Flyguy head

I threw one of these together and tried a 4.99 poly head from Ebay... works a treat. needs some painting....
Jimmy__B is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy__B
Old Apr 23, 2013, 05:00 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy__B View Post
I threw one of these together and tried a 4.99 poly head from Ebay... works a treat. needs some painting....
Great job. Great camera work too!
RCG Plus Member