HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:44 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,751 Posts
Step 15

Flyguy finally starts to take shape. Here we glue the breast plate and center plate to both sides. I fit the breast and center plates in position and check my angles to insure the sides are canted at 15 degrees. If they aren't, Flyguy will not turn. With the slots and tabs of the cutouts, I have found that the body locks into the right form with the correct angles. I back out the breast plate tabs a little on both sides, apply CA glue, and then press back together applying accelerator. I then flip the body and do the same for the center plate. It is important to get plenty of glue around where the breast plate carbon fiber meets the side laminations. You should also apply plenty of glue around where the side laminations slot and the motor cross member tabs meet.
Otto Dieffenbach is offline Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Feb 22, 2013 at 01:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:48 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,751 Posts
Step 16

If you fly on hard surfaces only, skip this step. If you land on soft surfaces, glue some shaped foam, 1 inches wide, to the breast plate, as shown. This will keep the side edges from digging into soft dirt on landings. Sand to the side contour and cover with Duct Tape in your favorite superhero color. If damaged from landing on rough or hard surfaces, the duct tape is easily replaceable . Tape should also be applied to his thighs. Use a yard stick to determine location, laying it flush across the bottom.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Feb 22, 2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:54 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,751 Posts
Step 17

Glue the top plate and lower head to the body. I use Gorilla Glue for the top/arm plate joint and 5 min epoxy for the lower head to motor cross member joint. I make sure that the rear vertical edge of the head and the thrust notch in the cross member are flush. I apply weight until dry.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:59 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,751 Posts
Step 18

Cut a piece of scrap Depron 2 inches wide and long enough to extend the width of the body underneath the arm/top plate. Glue with Gorilla Glue in the position shown. This reinforcement allows you to handle Flyguy by holding the back of the arm plate.

Glue the top of the head into position. On Version 2 the top head piece is double thickness of 5mm Depron. Remember to make your battery cutout before attaching.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:15 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,751 Posts
Step 19

Now it's time to mount the motor. I attach the prop to the motor and fit the motor into the body. You will have to remove the center plate edges around the prop slot to allow the 10 inch prop to rotate. I check to see if the thrust angles look correct and position the motor so that the prop is in the center. The motor mount will be off center because of the side thrust angle. I also position the motor as high as possible to minimize the amount of prop spinning below the breast plate. I leave about 1/4-3/8" clearance between the prop and top/arm plate. I then mark the motor's position with pencil on the back of the mount. I use a 30 minute curring epoxy for great grip but 5 min will work. I apply it to the motor mount and then position the mount in place. While I hold it in place, I tack the motor mount at several locations with CA and hit it with accelerator. This will hold it in position until the epoxy is fully curred. At this point I add a bottom gusset with epoxy between the motor mount and cross member, as shown. I have learned to have the bolt heads facing forward to allow easy motor removal, when required.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Feb 22, 2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:23 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,751 Posts
Step 20

Attach the ESC to the motor, check rotation with a battery/receiver and locate the ESC as far forward as possible. I attach it to the side of the head with double sided foam tape and wrap with a zip tie. I also put a zip tie around the motor wiring at the head's rear edge to hold the wiring in place. My last two Flyguy 62 builds have not required ballast; so if you can mirror my positions of electronics, you may get lucky too.

Note the cutout at front of head for a FPV key chain camera. Cutout is shown temporaily glued in place until shakedown flights are complete.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Feb 22, 2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:33 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,751 Posts
Step 21

Servos and receiver are now mounted. I mount the servos upside down just behind the side laminate with the output arm inline with the bottom of the outer leg. I check for centering and use a long servo arm. I glue the servo inplace with CA.

I place the receiver on the opposite side of Flyguy from the ESC to help lateral balance. It is easily accessible in the upper corner just under the arm plate, next to the side.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:38 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,751 Posts
Step 22

Pin the elevons in the neutral position. Put a Z bend in one end of the 1mm music wire. Attach that end to the servo. Cut the Z bend off the clevis rod that came with the control surface horns and center the clevis on the threaded area. Attach the clevis to the horn and cut the 1mm wire so you have 7/8 inch overlap. Cut four 1 inch sections of carbon fiber tube from scrap. Slide these sections on the 1mm wire. Cut a 5/8 inch piece of 2-3mm heat shrink tubing and slide it on the 1mm wire and back over the clevis rod. Note the amount of wire that protrudes from each end of the heat shrink and detach the clevis. Move the clevis well away from the foam and shrink the heat shrink tubing with flame or heat gun. Reattach the clevis. Apply thin regular CA to each end of the heat shrink and hit with accelerator. Evenly space the carbon fiber tube sections along the 1mm wire and tack to the side with Foam Safe CA glue. Over glue the CF sections with 5 min. epoxy.

Set up the throws so that full up and full down (no roll) looks as shown. I fly with 35% expo on the roll and 20% on the pitch.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Feb 21, 2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:42 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,751 Posts
Step 23

CG balance should be 1/2" in front of the shoulder blade notch, at the arrow. Add ballast to balance. Check your lateral balance to insure it is on the centerline. Total AUW is around 30 oz.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:03 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,751 Posts
Step 24

Time to fly.

Flyguy 62 fits in the back seat of most full sized sedans. I've had 4 in the back of my minivan.

Flyguy tolerates the wind pretty well and flys like an advanced trainer. I recommend the first few launches be done with an assistant holding him by the butt, 20 degrees nose up, at full throttle. With the recommended power systems he will climb out quickly and cruise around at half throttle. Practice loops and rolls at altitude until you get use to his flight characteristics. He can surprise you.

Work up to vertical takeoffs. Don't go over 70 degrees. 45 degrees is impressive with a pull up after launch. You can get in trouble if a gust of wind appears.

Land with partial throttle until just before touchdown. Cut your throttle and rotate to kill forward speed and he should settle down on the ground and roll up on his nose.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:36 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,751 Posts
Children's Hospital PFV Ironman

This platform is being developed to provide Ironman rides to kids at Children's.

So far so good. Finally received all my stuff. Ordered the TX and battery filter from Spain and the antenna from China. I really like the battery filter that lets you use the aircraft battery via the balance plug. The tx has a 5.03v output for the camera which is perfect for the #16 808 keychain. Found the Ironman mask at Walmart on sale for $10 and the Fat Shark goggles will mount inside. Was amazed that the total weight is only 1.88 oz for the airborne electronics. I have another rig like this in my Parkzone T-28 canopy for racing and have had no range issues on channel 1. This tx has only 7 freq selections and I set it at the other end of the spectrum at channel 7. On my goggles, chan 7 and 8 seem to receive equally well. Will need to flight test to verify which one is correct and validate range.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:07 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,751 Posts
FPV Ironman

Steve Blizzard and I went out to the Weedwackers Field last Friday. We did some testing of my new FPV setup on Ironman. Range looked great but had a throttle mid-range vibration problem. The prop hub was not centered. Flight and recording went great and prop has been worked on to get better balance. Ready for the next test.

Ironman FPV Flyguy 62 at the Weedwackers Field by Otto Dieffenbach (2 min 31 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:51 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,185 Posts
Very nice Otto, as I see it you are going to let the kids wear the FPV mask setup and you do the flying ?
Mud Duck Bill is offline Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:20 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Duck Bill View Post
Very nice Otto, as I see it you are going to let the kids wear the FPV mask setup and you do the flying ?
That's the plan. Want to get about 20 reliability flights done before then. We are thinking that it may be possible to fly next to the hospital and have a feed into the hospital's video system and to the goggles; even have multiple goggles for kids in their beds. A lot of experimenting to be done.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:31 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,751 Posts
New video of Ironman Flyguy 62 Version 2

Ironman 3 Flying : Flyguy 62 Version 2 by Otto Dieffenbach (2 min 52 sec)
RCG Plus Member