HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:21 AM
NOT SCREWED UP
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2011
359 Posts
Discussion
Fuel tank

I am finishing my nobler with fox 35 engine and was wondering if it was acceptable to use a normal Rc clunk type fuel tank. ? If so what modifications if any are necessary to permit CL operations.

Also one more querie. The lead out lines on the nobler as such that they slide forward and backward on the Inboard wingtip. Under what conditions should they be moved forward or rearward ?
alf.g is offline Find More Posts by alf.g
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:12 AM
WBE
Las Vegas Circle Burners
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Aug 2005
585 Posts
Go here Al, I'm terrible at explaining, would just confuse everybody. This is the plumbing I used.

Bill

http://www.tulsacl.com/ClunkTank.html
WBE is online now Find More Posts by WBE
Last edited by WBE; Feb 21, 2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:19 AM
WBE
Las Vegas Circle Burners
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Aug 2005
585 Posts
And for a good treatise on proper leadout location click on Brett Buck's bench trimming article. He's one of the top stunt pilots here in the States and a former national champ. Solid information here.

Well done on the Nobler!

http://www.aeromaniacs.com/Tips.html
WBE is online now Find More Posts by WBE
Last edited by WBE; Feb 21, 2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:55 AM
Joined Jan 2008
1,157 Posts
On moving the leadouts, move them forward if the airplane feels light up high. Move no more than 1/8 inch at a time. If you get them too far forward, the airplane will yaw in on hard corners.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:31 PM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
397 Posts
Alf,

Get yourself off to see the established CL fliers around Melbourne. You'll be welcomed & given much great advice, possibly too much!
http://clamf.aerosports.net.au/

Greg
greggles47 is offline Find More Posts by greggles47
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:38 PM
NOT SCREWED UP
Joined Jun 2011
359 Posts
Thanks gents.
Greg. I have contacted the chaps at clamf and heading out to meet n greet. They seem like a great bunch of guys.
Alf
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:29 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Gregg is correct! Before you fly that bird, 1. tie up with some great CL flyers. 2. promise yourself to never crash and 3. I've used baloon tanks, pacifiers, launch rubber, surge tanks, clunk tanks, and clank tanks. If they are set up right, they'll all give you all the performance you want. If they aren't set up right it can be disasterous. In your application, I'd us
e the largest clunk that'll fit and install like listed above.
And, put as much yaw on that sucker as possible. We've all seen the brand new airplane do a kamikaze as it comes in on the lines. Very discouraging for someone to see hours of work and dreams self detruct instantly. It would be heresey to many, but I'd consider building an adjustable rudder. On the first flight set lots of rudder offset. You may find that ultimately you want zero offset on the rudder. A fine adjustment among your rudder offset, leat out back sweep, propeller choice, A/F mixture and other factors make the difference between an average flying Nobler and and one that flies much better.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Last edited by tigreflyer; Feb 21, 2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:41 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,157 Posts
I have a subscription to the resurrected Aeromodeller magazine. Second issue arrived today. There is a four page article, with drawings, color photos, and written exposition, about setting up a plastic clunk tank for control line stunt.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:43 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,036 Posts
Clunk tanks are perfectly suitable for stunt but, like any tank, for best performance it should be set up as a Uniflow as in the link above. I never use the Uniflow line attached to the clunk but just run a fixed brass/copper tube bent to follow the outside wall and ending about 1/2" from the back of the tank. To work properly though, a Uniflow tank must be absolutely air tight so pressure test it under water to check for any leaks. If there's room, angle the tank so the back is as far outboard as possible so the last drops of fuel collect in that corner at the end of the flight. It's also a good idea to run the engine on the bench and see how much fuel it uses in 6 minutes so you can have a reasonable idea of what size tank to get.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:14 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Perhaps the nicest thing about a clunk tank, is its design allows you to add as little as 2 ounces in a much larger tank. I'd use the largest tank possible, determine how much fuel you burn in one minute, and how long you want to fly. When practicing flying, I find it nice to have as much air time as possible as an option, at little extra added weight. If I were going to fly that beautiful new Nobler, I'd load about enough fuel for 90 or even 60 seconds the first flight. Make some adjustments, load 2 or 3 minutes worth, dial it in some more..oh,yea, makes me jealous just thinking about it!
Last edited by tigreflyer; Feb 22, 2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:43 AM
NOT SCREWED UP
Joined Jun 2011
359 Posts
I have room for a 4 oz tank. Perhaps even 6 if I use a long round one. Ringing around local hobby shops to determine what they have. Nobler is getting close to completion with covering being applied as we speak , followed shortly be break in procedure.
I will indeed keep my first flights short. I will fly my Flitestreak first to get me going. One of the finest and fun planes I have flown on CL.
Thanks to all who have contributed to answer my question and while I think of myself as a fairly competent CL pilot I do not claim to know it all.
Getting nervous already

Alf
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:00 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggles47 View Post
Alf,

Get yourself off to see the established CL fliers around Melbourne. You'll be welcomed & given much great advice, possibly too much!
http://clamf.aerosports.net.au/

Greg

Fantastic video!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:18 PM
Joined Feb 2009
65 Posts
Alf, if you're already a competent CL flier, there's no need to be nervous. You'll be amazed just how easy and enjoyable your Nobler is to fly, particularly if you've just had a go with a Flitestreak. I reckon that as long as it hasn't got some glaring trim error (eg in-thrust, or too little tip-weight), a decent-sized stunter is easier to fly than any trainer - just not as crashworthy. Good luck with it!
steve111 is offline Find More Posts by steve111
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:31 PM
NYC
Joined Apr 2005
326 Posts
You are going to love the Nobler!! I've had 2 Gieskie Noblers, One with a Max 35 which I passed on to a friend when I stopped flying IC powered planes and the E-powered UHP one that my son is currently flying. With battery on board this plane comes in at under 41oz. This plane has about 20 flights on it all but one, the full AMA pattern.
bogusbob1 is offline Find More Posts by bogusbob1
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:13 PM
NOT SCREWED UP
Joined Jun 2011
359 Posts
As with any maiden there is always that uncertainty. I should be well used to it by now!!
Thanks for sharing your photo of the nobler bogusbob. Looks fantastic. I had visions of building this as an electric plane but had the fox readily available. I have a sig chipmunk still in kit form and will certainly make that one electric.
Really had a big build day yesterday and went hard at it. Lots of progress made and looks like it will fly by next weekend.
Still sourcing out fuel tank which I will look into this week as well.
I have purchased new brodak 70 foot lines and just completed pull tests.
Once again gents thanks for your input. Am delighted to share information with like minded people. If only others could experience this form of flying. !