Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:12 AM
FT.MYERS FL.
Joined Mar 2009
74 Posts
Discussion
Spar wrapping

Has anyone tried using spectra fishing line for wrapping spars? They make it in various sizes/ 30-80 # test.
CUMICBOY is offline Find More Posts by CUMICBOY
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:33 AM
UK, Coventry
Joined Aug 2005
524 Posts
As long as it wraps nicely around the spar you can use anything. Before Kevlar thread I used ordinary cotton. I have a plan for a free flight competition glider that uses strips of covering tissue to bind the spar. What you don't want is something that is stretchy like monofilament line.
mhodgson is offline Find More Posts by mhodgson
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:34 AM
Rcjpns
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined May 2011
3 Posts
I tried Spider wire, but CA glue would not hold it. So I still use Kevlar.
RCJPNS is offline Find More Posts by RCJPNS
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:17 PM
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined May 2012
55 Posts
Wrapping

Vectran is anouther aramid fiber that works. Be aware that you will put a twist in the spar if you do your wrapping right.Periodically do an untwist to relieve the twist and wrap in a direction that will put washout in if not relieved.
Stew
stewswanson is offline Find More Posts by stewswanson
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:48 PM
Chuck it and see!
UK, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire
Joined Sep 2006
1,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUMICBOY View Post
Has anyone tried using spectra fishing line for wrapping spars? They make it in various sizes/ 30-80 # test.
Yes it works very well. Go ahead.
Wing-span is offline Find More Posts by Wing-span
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:41 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewswanson View Post
Vectran is anouther aramid fiber that works. Be aware that you will put a twist in the spar if you do your wrapping right.Periodically do an untwist to relieve the twist and wrap in a direction that will put washout in if not relieved.
Stew
I've never heard that. Not that I don't believe you, but can you explain how that happens? I'm just not understanding why that would occur.
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:37 PM
Joined Feb 2006
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUMICBOY View Post
I have used Spectra line, but soon switched to Kevlar tow. If the Spectra is heated, it loses much of its strength. My concern is that heating the covering film (e.g., Monokote) will heat the Spectra too much.

I like Kevlar tow because it wraps quite flat and is easier to apply than Spectra, Kevlar thread or unwaxed dental floss (another good wrapping material).
williamson is offline Find More Posts by williamson
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:20 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
522 Posts
For the best strength-to-weight I don't think you can beat kevlar thread. And it doesn't cost a lot.

Craig
craigrrr is offline Find More Posts by craigrrr
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:38 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,053 Posts
Spectra is polyethylene and CA doesn't stick to polyethylene very well, as far as I know.

Also, Spectra is affected by UV unless coated.

Also, I has creep - keeps on stretching over time.

I would just order some kevlar thread from the composite store or some kevlar tow from the guys in RCG or a composites store.
Fly2High is online now Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:17 PM
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined May 2012
55 Posts
Twist of spar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring View Post
I've never heard that. Not that I don't believe you, but can you explain how that happens? I'm just not understanding why that would occur.
As you are wrapping and putting continuous tension on the wrapping material you
are putting a stress on the spar(twist). If you are securing your wraps periodically
with CA you are locking the distortion in.
Stew
stewswanson is offline Find More Posts by stewswanson
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:51 PM
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewswanson View Post
As you are wrapping and putting continuous tension on the wrapping material you
are putting a stress on the spar(twist). If you are securing your wraps periodically
with CA you are locking the distortion in.
Stew

Why wouldn't the tension on one side be cancelled out by the tension on the opposite side?

Now that I think about it, I assume any twist would (obviously) be in the direction of the wrap.

Still, I personally have never noticed this in any spars I have wrapped..... but I'll be looking closely on the next one!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:33 PM
mosquito303
Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
185 Posts
What are you trying to fix/achieve? The top and bottom of the the spar take the tension and compression loads. The stuff between the top and bottom become shear loads. There is a transition in direction and magnitude of both with load.
mosquito303 is offline Find More Posts by mosquito303
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:39 PM
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,530 Posts
The way I understand it, and by no means am I an engineer, the wrappings are really only helping where there is a wing joiner of some kind. Under load, the joiner tries to "pry" apart the top and bottom spar caps. Wrapping the spar in the joiner area prevents this.

Seems to me that wrapping in other areas, say the middle of a wing panel (on a built up woodie) provides little, if any added benefit, especially if the spar is built well, with the parts fitting properly and tightly.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:36 AM
UK, Coventry
Joined Aug 2005
524 Posts
Often, when a spar fails it is because the top spar has buckled. This is more likely with thin carbon flanges as opposed to thicker spruce ones. The wrapping along the spar helps prevent the spar lifting off he webbing and buckling.
mhodgson is offline Find More Posts by mhodgson
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:22 AM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring View Post
Why wouldn't the tension on one side be cancelled out by the tension on the opposite side?

Now that I think about it, I assume any twist would (obviously) be in the direction of the wrap.

Still, I personally have never noticed this in any spars I have wrapped..... but I'll be looking closely on the next one!
I built a twist into an Allegro wing this way once and, for all practical purposes, it was PERMANENT. Unlike old school construction, I could not remove the twist.

I would recommend reversing the direction of the wrap for each rib bay.

Happy Landings,

Don
dharban is online now Find More Posts by dharban