HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by brandonmoon, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:46 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,657 Posts
Mini-HowTo
My Shock Wave Sound modification to my 1700mm FMS Mustang #3

Ok...I started the ShockWave sound modification to my "Obsession" P-51 Mustang that I was working on this last spring. Hope to have this all finished up by next weekend. Still a little undecide on the front speaker or speakers lay out yet? Not sure if I'm going to use two 3 inch speakers in the nose (one on each side in speaker boxes) -or- another 4 inch speaker on the bottom in the nose, also in a speaker box?

The speaker box adds a much deeper and richer sound I have found rather than just mounting the speaker directly in the foam. The box also reinforces the the weakened area where the foam has been removed, so I'm not concerned there.

The ballance of the speakers and sound module will be here on friday.....I will be busy on it this weekend....as well as on the A-1 SkyRaider doing the same thing and finishing up the LX Corsair sound mod too
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:12 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,657 Posts
I finaly decide to go with two 4 inch R10 speakers and do the same lay out I did to the Red Tails "B version" Mustang I did using 3 inch speakers. This time they will be 4 inch and mounted in box enclosures with baffels.

Here are more pictures of the progress with the nose box now built and done

I went back later and made the Baffle breather on the back side of the box a little over twice the diameter it looks like in these photos...helps make it sound a bit deeper and richer and also lets the speaker breath better
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Aug 24, 2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:52 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,657 Posts
The Shock wave unit arrived today along with the speakers. Speaker boxes are now epoxied in and the speakers are installed (in serries - two 4 ohm visaton R10 4 inch speakers). I currently have a Red JST connector tapped of the the 6s flight pack. Here is more of the install.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Feb 26, 2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:00 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,657 Posts
Ok the speakers are now mounted and the speaker cover screen material just showed up today (gota love the UPS man ), so the speaker cover screens are now done.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:04 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,657 Posts
Here is a video of the first run up test...David at Modelsounds has since made a new P-51 sound set that sounds MUCH better and doesn't have the sound file change jump that is evident in this video that I mention. But this will gime most an idea of how it sounds.

ShockWave sound mod to my 1700mm FMS P-51 Mustang (0 min 0 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:26 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,394 Posts
Really nice writeup on your installation. I am impressed with the speaker screen you used! Nice.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:39 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,394 Posts
PS - where did you get your speaker mesh? Also, if you program in some servo slow with your throttle you'll notice the throttle transitions on a rapid swing of the stick will be more realistic - say a second or second and a half to go from full power to idle sounds, vs. instant.

For me... I've been thinking about adjusting my "sound files" to play full power over the speakers at about mid power on the transmitter/ESC. In flight, I'm often at mid power and still moving very fast... so a full power "sound" would "sound" and "look right" at half power on the model. At 1/4 throttle on the transmitter, I'm slowing down and then I like to hear the engine reflect that but I don't want the engine to slow down when I'm at 3/4 throttle and zipping along. Also, on takeoff, I'd like to get full power sounds at half throttle - I usually accelerate at half throttle and normally go to full throttle when I have the tail in the air and directional control nailed - then I rotate for initial climb. It would be nice to hear full throttle sooner on the takeoff roll. Again, that's just something I'm thinking about for my setup.

Thanks for all your work and posts on the sound board. You have motivated me to bring my sound work card up a notch in my Ta-152.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2013, 01:19 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,657 Posts
Thanks Eddie. I'm still working and playing arround with all the settings in the sound module....there is a lot you can do....and I've been tinkering with it for weeks...and still have a long way to go and to learn about it....but I have recently come up with and adjusted for some interesting effects...

More on that later
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2013, 01:38 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,657 Posts
OOps...forgot to answer you question, sorry...I got the screen material from MCMaster Carr
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:33 PM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,143 Posts
Looking forward to the flight vid.!

KM
kusunokimasahige is offline Find More Posts by kusunokimasahige
Old Mar 14, 2013, 06:30 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,657 Posts
Here is my latest project along with the A-1 Skyraider I've been also working on for the ShockWave sound module sound modification.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIxdItm0EAc
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Mar 14, 2013 at 07:08 PM.