HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:08 PM
farmington, mn
Joined Sep 2003
884 Posts
Discussion
best way to approach this repair?

here is my pby, took a nose dive 8 years ago on its maiden flight and finally decided it has to go or get repaired. most of the damage is located at the wing struts, one side has torn fiberglass and very concave the other side if very weak and mostly just cracked gel coat. i was thinking of two different repairs, first would be just use the fiberglass and resin to reinforce the inside with using 8 or 9 wood dowels as cross members to press out the fuselage and keep it strong and other would be to use fiberglass and resin then get some foam and sand it down to the correct contour and place them on the inside with a couple wood dowels pressing on them to reinforce the shape. as you can see this is a very structural spot that is deformed on both sides so i thought i would ask what way would be best or if someone else has a better thought on what to do.
jeff262 is offline Find More Posts by jeff262
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:24 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,267 Posts
Strip all the hardware off the fuse, servos and everything. I saw someplace where somebody actually glued (CA) dowels or balsa sticks to the outside of a fuse before the repair to hold everything in alignment. He also pushed and glued loose glass to the sticks to get his shape very close to the final product. Then go inside and epoxy light cloth to all the broken parts. The fuse should hold shape at this point so knock the sticks off and finish the outside. It was kind of like building a fuse inside out with the stringers on the outside and the sheeting on the inside.

I wish I could find the thread but I have no Idea where or when I saw it. I just remember at the time it was the neatest idea I had seen in a long time.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:01 AM
Hatters gonna hat.
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
How did you manage to leave not one, but two engines on that plane for 8 years!? I would have had to swipe them other candidates long before that.
madbomber is offline Find More Posts by madbomber