HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:50 PM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,424 Posts
Discussion
Orange Six Channel Transmitter

My grandson doesn't have a lot of money for the hobby so he decided to buy an Orange transmitter. He wanted a DX6i but couldn't afford a new one and used ones were getting picked off so fast he just decided to buy the orange.

I helped him set it up tonight and I have to say I am pretty impressed. Seems like a nice radio. The gimbals feel smooth, the switches have a very positive feel and it has a feature I really wanted to see in all radios: A true throttle cut not a momentary switch that is meant to just kill a nitro or gas motor.

This radio is as easy or easier to program as a Dx6i. It says it is compatible with all DSM2 and DSMX receivers. I didn't even need the manual to program his planes in for him.

I am still a Spektrum user in spite of several difficulties but for someone who wants an affordable 6 channel it seems nice. Hobby King should stock these in the U.S. cause the shipping from Hong Kong is just too much. The radio retails for $64.99.

Here are a few pictures:

payne9999 is offline Find More Posts by payne9999
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2013, 02:22 AM
United States, NC, Belmont
Joined Mar 2004
460 Posts
I was going to buy a used Spektrum 6 channel transmitter but Spektrum told
Me i would be unable to modify the flap switch to have more then just up or down.
The Orange tech support guy suggested I replace thr switch with a potentiometer
And would then be able to have variable flap settings for takeoffs or landings.
He also said if I did that it would not void the warrantee on the radio!
I'm ordering one tomorrow.
mgdon is offline Find More Posts by mgdon
Old May 31, 2013, 02:29 AM
United States, NC, Belmont
Joined Mar 2004
460 Posts
Supppsedly they are available from their US location now too.
mgdon is offline Find More Posts by mgdon
Old May 31, 2013, 05:26 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,424 Posts
Well, the radio has been going since February and my grandson is not exactly gentle on his RC equipment and it is still going strong. Have not had a single issue.

Dave
Old Sep 19, 2013, 09:52 AM
Joined Aug 2011
412 Posts
Glad to hear this, from what I have seen in videos - the Orange Tx is much better to use with your Orange Rx...compared to Spektrum - which mine can't keep things in memory.
Turbobearcat is offline Find More Posts by Turbobearcat
Old Sep 19, 2013, 04:58 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,424 Posts
I have had nothing but good performance from Orange. The receivers have been flawless for me.

I have completely switched from Spektrum due to some very bad experiences with my DX8. Also, at my field I have witnessed far too many glitches on Spektrum equipment.

However, the radio market is changing fast. If I was shopping for a low cost radio right now I would be looking at the Turnigy 9X. If I was looking for something high performance I would be after the Taranis 16 channel. I believe both these radios can be fitted with a Spektrum module making all your spektrum receivers compatible. The 9X is about $50 and the Taranis is $175. Pretty amazing for 9 channel and 16 channel radios. The open firmware makes it possible for the systems to be continuously improved and fixes to be implemented quickly. The support on the forum for this radio is very active as well (900,000 plus views and over 10,000 responses).

Right now I am flying JR but as soon as the Taranis 16 channels are available I am going to try one.

Dave
Old Oct 24, 2013, 07:39 PM
Chile, Valparaiso, Viņa
Joined Dec 2007
185 Posts
Orange T-SIX transmitter

Just got my T-SIX with 4 Orange 620 receivers... have not been able to fly it as the Tx somehow loses the BIND with the Rx... the RX, when powered on, even though everything works OK does not turn the light solid indicating a good bind... it keeps blinking without end... I have tested my 4 receivers and the same thing happens to all... I have used different ESCs, etc. and there is no way to get a good bind...

If anyone knows how to fix this problem I would appreciate the help...

Totally lost and donīt know what else to try.

Thanks...
jecchile is offline Find More Posts by jecchile
Old Oct 24, 2013, 08:15 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Joined Jan 2011
2,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jecchile View Post
Just got my T-SIX with 4 Orange 620 receivers... have not been able to fly it as the Tx somehow loses the BIND with the Rx... the RX, when powered on, even though everything works OK does not turn the light solid indicating a good bind... it keeps blinking without end... I have tested my 4 receivers and the same thing happens to all... I have used different ESCs, etc. and there is no way to get a good bind...

If anyone knows how to fix this problem I would appreciate the help...

Totally lost and donīt know what else to try.

Thanks...
I have seen this frequently and I cannot find any reason to be concerned. My orange receivers do this with my Spektrum transmitters as well and seems to have no bad affect. I think the receivers drop their links momentarily but re-link so fast you never know the difference. I have never had a dropped link on my orange receivers and ever been aware of it. I often range check my equipment and have never had issues with any of the orange receivers in my fleet.

However, A friend at my field has had his Orange 6 transmitter link to other airplanes in his fleet unintentionally. I think the "model match" feature is patented by Horizon and the Orange 6 does not have it so just be careful that you don't take off without selecting the correct airplane. Maybe his radio has issues because I have never had a problem like it. I mainly fly JR now and my grandson won a name brand 6 channel radio at a fly-in so he is not currently using his.

If I was shopping for an inexpensive radio right now I would be tempted to try the 9X but now that the Taranis is out I am more and more impressed with it. However it is $169 now and they are so popular it takes months on a waiting list to get one.

Dave
Old Oct 24, 2013, 08:31 PM
United States, MN, Saint Cloud
Joined Oct 2012
113 Posts
Did you remove the bind plug after binding the receiver to the radio?
airwild is offline Find More Posts by airwild
Old Oct 25, 2013, 06:17 AM
Chile, Valparaiso, Viņa
Joined Dec 2007
185 Posts
Thanks Payne9999 and airwild for your replies...

Airwild: YES, I did remove the bind plug after binding the radio...
Payne9999: You are a brave soul - I donīt dare fly with the system acting up even though the servos and motor work fine and the range check also was satisfactory. I will try a Spektrum, from a friend, on Sunday and will see if the same situation develops.
I did a search on Youtube regarding the T-SIX and there are various entries regarding Binding problems... one was specially interesting as a guy bound his radio to various receivers, at the same time, from about 65 feet away... this could cause a real mess if someone else was binding his radio at the same time, etc...
I really donīt like the 9X nor the 9XR... a guy at the field has one and I am not impressed.
Thanks again guys...
Old Oct 25, 2013, 07:41 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,564 Posts
The slow blinking is nothing to worry about. It just means there was a glitch in the signal between the trans and rcvr and the blinking is a consequence. When they're both turned on with a solid light on the rcvr, and I turn the trans off and back on for a second, the light on the rcvr will blink slow telling you there was a break in the signal. Many times I've put up a flight with the solid light and landed with it blinking. Not to worry. This happens with the DX8 and 9 as well as the T6.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Last edited by flypaper 2; Oct 25, 2013 at 07:49 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 07:56 AM
Chile, Valparaiso, Viņa
Joined Dec 2007
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
The slow blinking is nothing to worry about. It just means there was a glitch in the signal between the trans and rcvr and the blinking is a consequence. When they're both turned on with a solid light on the rcvr, and I turn the trans off and back on for a second, the light on the rcvr will blink slow telling you there was a break in the signal. Many times I've put up a flight with the solid light and landed with it blinking. Not to worry.

Gord.
Thanks... Iīd understand that the receiver would blink if you turn off the TX but on a normal sequence of: Turning the Tx on and then the Rx on, there should be no glitches if the bind is solid... my 4 receivers do blink all the time as if there is a bind error so I think the problem is with the TX...
It is a real shame if I canīt figure it out as the Tx seems very nice otherwise... I do not have any disposable airplanes that I would care to venture on this radio... besides, other types of damage could happen with a wild, out of control airplane. SAFETY FIRST...
Old Oct 28, 2013, 08:59 PM
Chile, Valparaiso, Viņa
Joined Dec 2007
185 Posts
UPDATE Orange T-SIX

Yesterday I tried my Orange receivers with a Spektrum radio... they bound fine with that radio and the lights were solid during various cycles.
I have not heard from HK Tech Support regarding this problem... I even sent them a video that I uploaded to Youtube. I guess I will have to keep on waiting... in the meantime, donīt dare fly it... one thing is to break an airplane but to hurt someone or otherīs property worries me...

UPDATE... SInce yesterday I bound the receivers to a Spectrum 7ch... today I tried to rebind the receivers to my Orange T-SIX transmitter and things are getting worse... they won't bind at all... the receivers stay with the fast blinking light after turning the transmitter on and waiting for a bind that never happens.
Last edited by jecchile; Oct 29, 2013 at 09:28 AM. Reason: UPDATE
Old Oct 29, 2013, 01:31 AM
Fly like an aerodynamic brick.
Joined Oct 2013
20 Posts
I am really considering getting one of these radios but the final cost of shipping is holding me back. I have been extremely impressed with the reviews and the performance is not a worry.
the radio is great for the price but how much was shipping and total cost because it was in the international warehouse?
ProFoamieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by ProFoamieFlyer
Old Oct 29, 2013, 09:30 AM
Chile, Valparaiso, Viņa
Joined Dec 2007
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProFoamieFlyer View Post
I am really considering getting one of these radios but the final cost of shipping is holding me back. I have been extremely impressed with the reviews and the performance is not a worry.
the radio is great for the price but how much was shipping and total cost because it was in the international warehouse?

Do yourself a favor and get different equipment... I've had nothing but problems. Just check youtube on the T-SIX transmitter.