HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2001, 06:52 PM
Younstown, Ohio
Joined Nov 2001
2 Posts
Eager Newbie Needs Help - Please!

Hello Everyone,

I have been lurking these forums for about 3 months and I need some insight from the gurus.

I always have been facinated by R/C planes ever since I was a youngster however, I did not want to get into the glow planes because I do not want to drive many miles to fly them. I am glad I found this forum!

I am getting ready to purchase my first e-plane but I need guidance to make sure I get everything I need to get started.

I visited my LHS to discuss the different planes and equipment however, they either did not have the planes I wanted or they tried to talk me out of what I wanted (told me to get the Firebird). How fustrating. I am leaning towards a TM because of the looks and flying characteristics. I will build it through the winter with a new paint sceme & mods. I originally was leaning toward the Pico Cub but with all the reviews, the TM looks like the winner. What is the difference between the too as far as how they fly? Are there any others that come to mind? (Firebirds are out of the question, I get bored easily - buying one for the wife for Christmas) I am looking to fly it at a few local parks and I want something that will not bore me quickly.

I have been using the free FMS software with the Pico Cub & TM and I have to say I have reached my comfort zone with these models. Do they fly somewhat like the real thing?

Anyhow, I have nothing yet. What equipment do you suggest (Tx, flight packs and batteries/charger - anything else I left out). Lasly, can you recomend this best places to purchase these products online?

I am sorry for the long-windedness, however I wanted to get all the information at one time.

Thank you guys at for all the enriched information that I have gathered so far and I look forward to more.

pfchico
pfchico is offline Find More Posts by pfchico
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2001, 07:33 PM
ny
Joined Dec 2000
1,270 Posts
If I was you I wouldn't go with the TM as a first airplane I am sure even with the simulator you are going to put some hurt on your first plane. What I guess is up to you I would say a Litestik and the GWS Radio the one with Submicros and the 270 ni-cd battery.
russ6421 is offline Find More Posts by russ6421
Old Nov 24, 2001, 07:36 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
pfchico,
Welcome to your first post on E-Zone!! I'll let the pro's from Slow fly answer your question. But after wasting a lot of money on several planes that I couldn't fly I got a Push E Cat. Another foam plane that I still fly from time to time. (I still crash a more than I like too!) If you're set on a TM, then be sure to get an instructor..... Good Luck/Have Fun/This hobby is a Blast!!!
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Nov 24, 2001, 07:37 PM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
HEY someone help this guy!!!

Hi pfchico! Welcome to the Slowfly forum, led by our erstwhile leader, Fred Bronk and inhabited by various miscreants. Get the Moth, get the pico flight pack, get the Qualcomm Lithiums, and do the worthy TM mods (mostly mine ) Do lots of searches. ask lots of questions, and someone who can type more than 20 wpm (not me)will help you. Lots of fun in this hobby and some really smart people with good answers. Best Regards
Bleriot is offline Find More Posts by Bleriot
Old Nov 24, 2001, 07:55 PM
FLYER spelled I-squared-R
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
pfchico:

I don't think that you can go wrong with either the TM or the Cub FD. Get something and get started...

For my two cents worth, I looked at both of those birds, but I spent the additional $25 for a Mountain Models Duskstik. It was well worth it. It builds in about 6 hours and is a wonderful, stable bird. I fly mine off of my back deck and around my yard.

David
fliir is offline Find More Posts by fliir
Old Nov 24, 2001, 07:59 PM
FLYER spelled I-squared-R
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
P.S. - I'm no expert, just a guy who wanted to find a gentle, sturdy flyer... I built the kit about three weeks ago and I have about 30 flights on it. I've run it into trees, fence posts and a jungle-gym. Takes a lickin' and keeps on flyin'
fliir is offline Find More Posts by fliir
Old Nov 24, 2001, 08:32 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
My 2 cents.... All of the birds suggested so far would work great.
Just buy the one that appeals to you the most and go for it.
The sim helps but none of the planes fly exactly like the real thing.
Also with the sim your view is limited where in the real world you have a much wider view. You will crash just like the rest of us but the planes are easy to repair and I have seen and have owned birds so patched up you wonder how they fly.... but they do!
Welcome to a wonderful hobby!
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Nov 24, 2001, 08:39 PM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
If I could find a Sim with a little cyber guy who carries a ladder and long pole to retrieve the plane, well then ...........
Bleriot is offline Find More Posts by Bleriot
Old Nov 24, 2001, 08:52 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,931 Posts
Bleriot...

We have the same dillema, way too many trees in our yard's

Hi pfchico

Any of the GWS ships are good planes with better than average control and weights, I'd lean toward the full fuse Pico-cub as I've flown with one and it fly's as well or better than my balsa/carbonfiber/film slowy. I'd also try to steer you towards Doug Binders Duskstik, as its very much like my ship and I know they both fly well, it will also expand your skills in building. Slow flyers are what you need as a beginner, I wish that these marvels were available back when I was a teen and flying .15 glow ships for trainers.

Looee
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Nov 24, 2001, 09:22 PM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,760 Posts
Welcome pfchico:
All of the above planes are good flyers. Buy the one that appeals to you the most. Although I've never even seen one I'd buy a Duskstik in a heartbeat, just from what I've read on these forums. Doug from Mountain Models consistently goes the extra mile for his customers.
I'd recommend the GWS Naro Flight pack with a NIMH battery - I got mine from here http://www.balsapr.com/balsapr/catalog4/
There are many other fine places to buy also. A search of these forums will give you the names you need.
Using FMS is smart and will help, but crashing on your computer is just not the same. If possible, try to get some experienced help before you fly.
Have FUN!
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Old Nov 25, 2001, 09:31 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi pfchico, Welcome to EZone.

Sounds like you've done the research. got the sim and have practiced and already have a pretty good idea of what you want.

Like the others, I say pick the plane that appeals to you the most and go for it. It's not that hard. I started with a litestik and within three weeks changed to a TM and wondered why I even got the LS in the first place.

My suggestion is get a four or five channel radio (HiTec), a GWS PICO flight pack and 300 mah NiMH 7 cell packs or maybe some of the surplus LiIon batteries. Avoid the Nicads, just not enough flyin' time!

The toughest decision is the battery charger. If you are going to stay in the hobby it pays to get a good one. Again it depends on your battery preference and also if you want to charge at home or in the field.

Unfortunately there is not an online source to get everything in one place as far as I know.

For the plane and flight pack: Officeshops.com or Horizon Hobby
Radio from Hobbypeople.net or Horizon
and RadicalRC.com or Toddsmodels.com for the 300 mah NiMH battery packs.

Good luck,

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Nov 25, 2001, 10:16 AM
N.B. Canada
Joined Nov 2001
102 Posts
Welcome to the e-flyers world.
I use FMS myself ( not a lot of good weather here lately and it keeps my thumbs from getting too dumb).
My advice would be, once you start flying, whichever plane you decide to use, DON'T fear the crash. Sometimes they can be fun.. YES fun.
A few years ago when I was flying glow with a couple of friends, there were 3 of us in the air and another guy along to watch.
Well the Guy flying the Telemaster was doing touch and gos off the frozen lake ( winter flying field) and hit a little hard, when he pulled up the landing gear dropped off and as he came around again for a look the battery pack was hanging out.
I started to set up for a landing with my PT-20 and misjudged a bit and did a perfect spot landing in a tree.
The guy watching at this time was starting to double over laughing ( like the crowd at Nascar, he enjoys a good crash, and we seldom disappointed him *smile*).
The telemaster guy bellylanded with out any more damage.
The last guy up, with his Eagle trainer was laughing so hard himself that during his landing aproach lost it and doing an inverted landing.
That did it, the guy watching was rolling on the ground laughing while the rest of us watched him and laughing ourselves.
well we regained control, collected our planes and went home to do the repairs ( actually wasn't that much damage).
All in all it was one of the most fun days flying we had and the next weekend we had all our planes back up and ding a bit of dogfighting again.
Moral of the story? Have fun and don't fear the crash.
Tonyl is offline Find More Posts by Tonyl