HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:32 PM
Addicted to my hobby
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
434 Posts
Discussion
55mm Thrust Tube Dimensions

I'm using an old GP Synapse EDF unit on a flat foam F-22 jet. I would like to know if anyone has dimensions for a thrust tube so I can make a new one for this unit. Intake tube as well would be helpful. The length should be about 50mm if at all possible. Even a formula or "rule of thumb" to get started would be appreciated.
Sweetrex is offline Find More Posts by Sweetrex
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:38 AM
The Last Question
United States, UT, West Valley City
Joined Oct 2006
527 Posts
That's a huge fan! J/k since this the micro forum.

I usually just measure the outside diameter and then Google circle area calculater. Use diameter to get circumference. Then draw a line however long you want the thrust tube to be. Then draw another line for the circumference. So now you have what looks like a T. Then find out your FSA by measuring diameter of inner fan housing, convert to area. Then find diameter of the hub, convert to area and subtract the two. Now you have your FSA so times that by 85% and take that number and convert area to circumference. Now you have your dimensions for the end of the tube. Connect the lines. Make one side a bit larger by drawing a line parallel so you'll have a tab to tape. Also you need to arc the top and bottom lines upward a bit so when its rolled it keeps the edges parallel. The arc takes trial and error.

Or you could Google cone program.
http://www.conelayout.com/
Entropy76 is offline Find More Posts by Entropy76
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:46 PM
Addicted to my hobby
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy76 View Post
That's a huge fan! J/k since this the micro forum.

I usually just measure the outside diameter and then Google circle area calculater. Use diameter to get circumference. Then draw a line however long you want the thrust tube to be. Then draw another line for the circumference. So now you have what looks like a T. Then find out your FSA by measuring diameter of inner fan housing, convert to area. Then find diameter of the hub, convert to area and subtract the two. Now you have your FSA so times that by 85% and take that number and convert area to circumference. Now you have your dimensions for the end of the tube. Connect the lines. Make one side a bit larger by drawing a line parallel so you'll have a tab to tape. Also you need to arc the top and bottom lines upward a bit so when its rolled it keeps the edges parallel. The arc takes trial and error.

Or you could Google cone program.
http://www.conelayout.com/
I thought 55mm IS micro? Thanks for the education. I'll give it a try.
Sweetrex is offline Find More Posts by Sweetrex
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:46 PM
The Last Question
United States, UT, West Valley City
Joined Oct 2006
527 Posts
No problem. I draw them out on paper and then set the clear plastic thrust tube over it and trace onto it. Local grocery store's where I picked up my last material for my thrust tube.
Entropy76 is offline Find More Posts by Entropy76