HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by valiantGLX, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:49 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,633 Posts
Mini-HowTo
How to Build a Remote Switch

How to Build a Remote Switch for Lights on/off

If you have arrived at this page via my BLOG, please click HERE to access the entire entry
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Last edited by valiantGLX; Feb 20, 2013 at 04:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:49 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,633 Posts
Ever wanted to control the lights on your RC vehicle remotely??? Well it is dead simple, I'll show you how. The one in the photos is suited for Horizon Hobby ultra micros, in particular the UMX Carbon Cub, but the principal is the same for any RC vehicle, just use whatever plugs you need.

Materials:

Servo Innards:

Take note where the pots center wire connects to the PCB. Also dont throw anything away! The Trimmpotentiometer will make a perfect dimmer switch for another project and the little motors are handy too.

Weight so far:

I want to make my remote switch removable, but if you solder it inline with a servo cable it will only weigh half a gram.

Servo Extensions:

The Hobby King JST-SH 1.0mm servo extensions come with the wires in the wrong order, here's how to correct them.

Lazy Mans Remote Switch:

You can get away with leaving the pot connected and not using resistors, but the results aren't as good. However this setup is perfect if you want to add indicators or brake lights to an RC car as you will have the ability to trim when the lights become active.

Nearly Finished:

You can see that it took a bit of work to get the resistors in the proper positions. You can probably do it easier if you leave the original wires on the servo and solder the resistors to those instead of trying to solder the resistors directly to the PCB.

Finished:

I covered the majority of the PCB and resistors in shrink tube. The end weight is pretty good, most RC aeroplanes wouldnt care if there's an extra gram on board. However I could have made it much lighter; as I mentioned above I wanted this remote switch to be removable so there's an extra plug, also there's 2 outputs (1 for the lights on the wing and the other for a flashing tail light I plan on adding to my UMX Carbon Cub).

Installed:

Here you can see it installed in my UMX Carbon Cub. If you are familiar with the CC you'll notice that I have removed the Y harness from the lights/flaps and added it to the ailerons instead. I did this so the flaps are on the correct channel, and lights on/off is on the gear channel, but more on this later in a new blog entry....

Any Questions??? Please don't hesitate to ask!
Last edited by valiantGLX; Feb 20, 2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:51 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,633 Posts
Photo Dump
Last edited by valiantGLX; Feb 20, 2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:22 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
My only comment, and it was obvious after thinking about it a minute, is that you never explicitly state where to connect the LED's

Thanks for this great how-to though, I never would have thought to use the servo board in that way. Brilliant!

What range of resistor values would be save to use there (or must it be 47k?). Not sure what I have laying around...
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:35 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,633 Posts
Sorry my bad You connect the lights to where the motor used to plug in, polarity doent really matter if you have a computer TX, if the lights are on when the switch is in the off position simply reverse the channel.

The current alternates depending on whether the switch is up or down, so if the lights are on when you want them to be off just reverse the connection if you dont have a computer TX. Also with this alternating current you can make cool effects; Connect some lights one way, but reverse the connection for some other lights, then when one set of lights is on the others are off, the opposite is true once you flick the switch.

In regards to the resistors I couldnt really tell you if different resistances make a difference. The resistors I use are my go to resistors, I use them for everything I have made a remote switches with a servos ranging from 1.7g - 9g using the same resistors, the results are the same across the board.

My suggestion is just to try whatever resistors you have laying around, you're not going to damage anything with different amounts of resistance, if they work great, if they dont get some of the 47k ones, I bought 50 for $1.

Also thanks for the compliment, I hope this how to serves you well
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:07 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Thanks for the additional info! I can't wait to have an excuse to try this out
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:32 AM
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Oct 2003
1,109 Posts
Awesome! I was just trying to wire something like this the other day....and my girlfriend laughs because I never throught blown servo or esc's...HA!
P-51 flyby is offline Find More Posts by P-51 flyby
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:45 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,633 Posts
WINNING

I never throw anything out either
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:54 AM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Seems silly to build one when there is a very inexpensive solid state remote switch available from Hobbyking..just saying.

This one controls many devices
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...f_Switch_.html

This one is light and simple.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...d_Switch_.html
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:11 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
Seems silly to build one when there is a very inexpensive solid state remote switch available from Hobbyking..just saying.

Seems silly to spend money and weeks waiting if you already have an otherwise scrap servo laying around that can do the trick...
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:38 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post

You see how much those ones weigh??? 15g and 7g, if I chose to solder mine in inline it would have only weighed 0.5g. Thats the difference .... and as habitforming mentioned it seems silly to spend cash when you can make one out of scrap parts for next to nix which is 14 - 30 times lighter.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:25 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Thanks for this great how-to. More posts like this are welcome (hint, hint). Worth their weight in Gold in my opinnion. I love to re-purpose old abd useless componemts also. I never throw anything away because one day, something like this comes along! I also love building things and this is why I love the hobby so much. I still build all my airplanes from scratch and building components is right along those lines.Thanks again.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Last edited by Freddie B; Feb 26, 2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:03 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,633 Posts
Thanks for the kind words sir!

If I keep getting compliments like that I'd be more inclined to post more stuff (hint, hint). LOL

If any of you have RC cars/trucks here's how you can make your own light control (I prepared this pic earlier for the microTforum):

However instead of using resistors for the indicators and reverse light remote switches use a trimpotentiometer. This way you can trim when the lights come on
Last edited by valiantGLX; Feb 26, 2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:05 PM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
You see how much those ones weigh??? 15g and 7g, if I chose to solder mine in inline it would have only weighed 0.5g. Thats the difference .... and as habitforming mentioned it seems silly to spend cash when you can make one out of scrap parts for next to nix which is 14 - 30 times lighter.

lol..ok ok. I aquiesce.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Aug 31, 2013, 06:10 AM
Nasir Khan
Australia, NSW, Fairfield
Joined Feb 2009
324 Posts
subscribed!
subhan.nasir is online now Find More Posts by subhan.nasir