HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:34 AM
Joined Feb 2013
42 Posts
Build Log
Cheap DIY Quadcopter Build - Newbie

Hi everyone.

I'm in the initial stages of building my quadcopter. I want to try and make it as much DIY as i can (ie: i don't want to buy any RTF kits etc.). I am planning on designing my own frame too. I have been reading up around the subject extensively over the last few months as this is my first build so I'm new to the subject. I have a limited budget as I am still a student in high school and so I'm trying to make it relatively cheap.

I have battled with choosing the right motors I want because I wasnt sure how to gauge how much thrust each motor could provide because as far as i know there aren't any calculators besides eCalc that do a conversion that show you how much thrust a specific motor/prop combo could generate and I get confused with eCalc with some of the values!

My total weigh in will probably be around 1000g depending on motor/esc sizes.

I do know that i want to use the KK2.0 Control board and haven't decided on a cheap radio system yet.

If anyone could assist me in motor/prop choice it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
simonpurdon is offline Find More Posts by simonpurdon
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:11 AM
Winter Haven FL
Joined Dec 2003
508 Posts
I just built mine and I used the following motors/esc/prop combination.

Turnigy D2830-11 1000KV
Turnigy Multistar 30A esc
10x4.5 Slo-Fly Props

Mine is about 1000g and it hovers great, because that is all I can do. I'm sure it would fly fine as well. 3s 2200 25c lipo is what I am using for a batt
Byrdman is offline Find More Posts by Byrdman
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:16 PM
Joined Feb 2013
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdman View Post
I just built mine and I used the following motors/esc/prop combination.

Turnigy D2830-11 1000KV
Turnigy Multistar 30A esc
10x4.5 Slo-Fly Props

Mine is about 1000g and it hovers great, because that is all I can do. I'm sure it would fly fine as well. 3s 2200 25c lipo is what I am using for a batt
Great, thanks for the reply. How is your quad's acceleration and agility?
simonpurdon is offline Find More Posts by simonpurdon
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:40 PM
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jun 2012
243 Posts
Mine: x525 with 2212 1000kv motors with fake hobby wing Skywalker 18a escs running on 10 x 4.5 is plenty agile and climbs rapidly. On a 2200 35c ESC, it's on the heavy side at 1200g.

Same motors/prop/ESC on a t-copter weighing in at 700gm is ballistic.
Phytone is offline Find More Posts by Phytone
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:57 AM
Winter Haven FL
Joined Dec 2003
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpurdon View Post
Great, thanks for the reply. How is your quad's acceleration and agility?
It accelerates faster and is more agile than my abilities can handle right now, but im getting better every day

Seriously, you are a long way from needing to worry about such things
Byrdman is offline Find More Posts by Byrdman
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:44 PM
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
Does anyone know how to connect the s1,s2,s3,s4 wires on the hobbywing skywalker Quattro 4in 1 esc to the reciever and where they go?
Bigman001 is offline Find More Posts by Bigman001
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:33 PM
Joined Aug 2009
240 Posts
Simon, i know your on a budget, but do yourself a favor and go buy a $40 RTF clone micro quad. Hobby King, banggood, and other sites sell them. Banggood has given me the best results so far on shipping/product costs. Learn to fly and while you do, study. Research. Observe. Listen. And troll these forums. I can tell you that your going to need anywhere from $100-$200 to build one. The key components (motors, ESC's, and control board) are pricey. Motors average $12-$15 each, ESC's run $10-$15 each, and the KK2 is $30. And these are fairly conservative, the prices go nowhere but up. Oh, and not to mention shipping. There are deals to be had so you may be able to find better. There are threads that walk you through custom construction projects with complete equipment lists. Look around, shop smart and keep us posted. HobbyKing is a favorite of many folks. Some hate them. The rest of us love to hate them. But they have good selection, average service, and fair prices. For a budget bird they sell Turnigy brand radio and receivers at a good price. I havent researched them, but orange rx now has radios and receivers that are cheap. I use a spektrum DX6i with orange box receivers without issue. The average quadcopter uses motors in the 28XX size. For example 2826 1200 kv or maybe 2832 900 kv. Almost any of these will work. HK has a quadcopter specific section that highlights many of their motors that work well in quads.

Back to banggood and micro quads, you can build one from parts for about $30 shipped. Its all manufactured replacement parts but you have to assemble them. Not quite from scratch but an alternative non the less. My V939 flies wonderfully and it has taken a beating. I would rather buy a second $40 micro quad while I learn to fly than to build a $200 model and have to spend $40 repairing it.

Be advised: when you buy from China be prepared for shipping delays and products that arrive DOA. Most sites sell cloned products made with questionable quality control and sometimes you get a lemon and get it late. Its all part of the game.
DEBAY777 is offline Find More Posts by DEBAY777
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:34 PM
Joined Aug 2009
240 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1771565
DEBAY777 is offline Find More Posts by DEBAY777