HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:38 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2011
579 Posts
Help!
Hay SW pro's can you help with this?

Hi I'm very new to Solid Works so be kind in your answers:-) I have designed a fuselage that I am happy with and would like to try my hand at building.

I need to know how to brake the drawing down into individual components so I can print them.

I have drawn the components in this case the bulkheads on there own planes I had hoped this would simplify things but I still cant work it out. Hope I'm not being to vague. Like I said I'm a noob at all this. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Artful Owl is offline Find More Posts by Artful Owl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: :-(
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:32 AM
Too many numbers
United States, IL, Lake in the Hills
Joined Oct 2010
1,830 Posts
Set up planes where you want your bulkheads to be and then open a sketch on each plane. Use the surface intersection tool to create a cross section. Notch it out for longitunal strips of balsa, then extrude to 1/16 (or whatever plywood you are using). You can then surface trim if you need to. Once you have it the way you want it, print it.
c131frdave is offline Find More Posts by c131frdave
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:22 PM
Joined Dec 2011
579 Posts
Thanks for you help Dave. My model is coming along in leaps and bounds now. Much appreciated:-)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:35 PM
Joined Dec 2011
579 Posts
Has anyone had any problems printing to scale with solid works? I have read on some forums that people are getting mixed results. Apparently it has something to do with the printer its-self. What are your thoughts? I came across this in Sketchup. It wasn't until I had finished cutting out the formers that I realized my mistake. I gave up on Skectup after that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:37 PM
Jim C Patrick
Shenandoah County
Joined Jan 2008
880 Posts
Anyone who can't print from SketchUp is going to have immense problems —the exact same ones— from any other CAD, including SolidWorks. Both have an enormous amount of help, both installed and online, for plotting, printing, vector rendering, and exporting.
jcpatrick is offline Find More Posts by jcpatrick
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:28 PM
Joined Dec 2011
579 Posts
Hi JCPatrick I must admit I didn't try that hard with Sketchup. I really enjoy designing and using CAD programs so I thought I'd learn to use Solidworks so I don't have much experience with Sketchup.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:47 AM
Joined Dec 2011
579 Posts
I must be the luckiest person I found a 3 view of a plane iv been wanting to model and build spent such a long time looking for this.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:49 PM
Joined Dec 2011
579 Posts
How do I fix this geometry for this lofted surface?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:11 PM
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,932 Posts
Hmmm.. there might be a few things going on there. Im not a pro, but my sense is that you are trying jam two quite disimilar sections together without giving it enough info.

If you want to loft as a solid, which would offer a lot of advantages:
- the sections should be continous loops (example black lines)
- if you can, avoid lines converging to a point like at your trailing edge (red elipse). Better to be a minimum thickness vertical segment TE or radius, it may help & probably what you have in real life anyway.
- utilize the airfoil upper & lower curves as guide curves (green lines), it will flow the loft better
- a technique I have seen a lot is only sketch the half section & then mirror about the center plane since the fuse is symetrical. This can help with lofting especially with spline based sections & further allow you to define tangency aboutthe center line

I did an example & used 2 sections similar to yours. But lofting form basically a 4 sided rectangle to a multi-segmented section like your tailpipe is pushing it in any event, they are so un-similar.

You could do surfaces too:
- but maybe better to break it down into logical chunks: upper surface + vertical edge surface + lower surface. Everything controlled by their respective guide curves, ideally smooth splines.
- if all individual surfaces look good, then knit the chunks

You really should get a book or DVD. There is a lot of technique & dos & donts with this stuff regardless of teh cad program. Trying to stumble through on your own is the long road.
ptxman is offline Find More Posts by ptxman
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:59 PM
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,932 Posts
Now by only modifying one section sketch, the resultant solid still lofts smoothly because the sketch end points & guide curve network are all connected correctly & using 3 sections in the loft kind of anchors 2. Here I distorted the the tail section noticeably just to demonstrate
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:43 AM
Joined Dec 2011
579 Posts
Hi thank you for taking the time to do the examples, that was really cool and helpful:-) I made some of the changes you recommended and this is what I came up with. Looking much better.

My Solidworks book is in the mail.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:24 PM
Joined Dec 2011
579 Posts
Need some advice with assembling this hatch latch.

HI I'm still a novice with Solid works. I am however enjoying learning to use this program. I'm really looking forward to designing and building some of my models. I still have a wee way to go tho. Soooo I have been learning to work with assemblies and mates after becoming a little stuck and frustrated I thought Id come and ask here for some help.
(I have spent the last hour trying to work this out)

I think you will get the idea of what I am trying to achieve from this video. I want to constrain the movement of the latch (for and aft) so in only moves with in the confines of the slot I cut. I thought it would be easy using a path mate. where am I going wrong.

Ok so I cant upload the SLDASM File how do I do that?

Hatch Latch (0 min 12 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:59 PM
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,932 Posts
I mimicked your setup with a plate & pin assembly.

- mated top of pin relative to top of plate with set distance (so it always slides at some fixed height)

- mated pin OD surface centered within slot using Width mate (so it is equal distance between slot regardless of pin diamter if changed)

- I made a construction plane coincident with the axis of one end of the slot hole

- using Distance Mate (within advanced mate) I used this plane & the pin axis in mate selections box, then set min distance=0 (ie coincident with left slot hole axis) & max value = center-to-center distance of slot, in my case 1.2"

- now the pin moves freely to any desired position centered within the slot but 'stops' coincident at each axis defined by the slot half circle axis.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:11 AM
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,932 Posts
Forgot to mention, you could also set up 2 configurations, one for the pin in the left position & another for the right position. Then toggle between configurations. This technique is useful too. You can't slide it to any arbitrary distance with the mouse, but other mates can react to these configuration positions (like other parts within the assembly). It can get pretty powerful.

But since the sliding mate as above post can be accomplished with SW mates, these are presently greyed out (supressed).