HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:33 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,064 Posts
Question
Monokote/Ultracote on carbon fiber

I apologize if this has been covered, and it probably has before, but I've searched using forum tools and google with the site: filter and I can't find a definitive answer. Will Monokote or Ultracote bond to carbon fiber? I have a Guillows kit 502, the Butcher Bird, that I'd like to build into an ultra-micro using AS3X 2s brushless brick. It's a tail heavy bird due to its design and I am hoping to save weight by using carbon fiber stringers in the back of the fuse and thinning the formers, probably in the wings as well, instead of the wood. If I decide to cover with mono or ultra, will the glue activate and bond to the pultruded carbon rods well?

Again, sorry if this has been covered (no pun intended) before.... I did my best at searching out the answer.

Thanks,
~Ben
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:10 AM
Joined May 2012
9,064 Posts
Nobody, huh?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:47 AM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,427 Posts
I doubt you will actually save much weight by using carbon fibre stringers. You will gain a considerable amount of structural strength though. Maybe measure both before you start, see if it's worth the hassle? As to the formers- consider replacing them with lighter Balsa.

Using covering film should not present any problems- but take care not to warp the structure- especially the wings- when shrinking it down. I'd stay away from Monokote for that reason and use the Parklite version of Ultracoat in stead.

As noted, this bird has a short beak, so get the brick and battery as far forward as possible. Use some of the carbon fibre for the rudder/elevator pushrods.
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:00 AM
Joined May 2012
9,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard of odd View Post
I doubt you will actually save much weight by using carbon fibre stringers. You will gain a considerable amount of structural strength though. Maybe measure both before you start, see if it's worth the hassle? As to the formers- consider replacing them with lighter Balsa.

Using covering film should not present any problems- but take care not to warp the structure- especially the wings- when shrinking it down. I'd stay away from Monokote for that reason and use the Parklite version of Ultracoat in stead.

As noted, this bird has a short beak, so get the brick and battery as far forward as possible. Use some of the carbon fibre for the rudder/elevator pushrods.
Thanks for the tips! I plan on mounting an E-Flite BL180 up front, hopefully with a hatch on top of the cowling I can fit a 180 / 240 2s cell in just behind that, and the brick immediately behind that. I'm also considering replacing the tail feathers with 2 or 3 mm depron, and may even make every other former behind the cockpit from depron.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:12 AM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,427 Posts
Now there's nice idea, just take care when using the covering iron over the Depron formers. Anyway, there's a thread "sticky" on Guillows conversions in the scale section, which will probably offer some great tips.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827861
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:21 AM
Joined May 2012
9,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard of odd View Post
Now there's nice idea, just take care when using the covering iron over the Depron formers. Anyway, there's a thread "sticky" on Guillows conversions in the scale section, which will probably offer some great tips.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827861
Awesome.... great link, appreciate that!

~Ben
RCG Plus Member