Closed Thread
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:31 PM
retrocopter
Ireland, Dublin, Dublin City
Joined Jul 2011
194 Posts
Discussion
old gunner sailboat model clean up

i was given this boat by my uncle he had it sitting in his shed gathering tonnes of dust,for now i am just cleaning it up,maybe rc it in the near future after fixing the details that my uncles kids broke off.some missing barrels from the side of the ship,little brass bullet shapes for cannons that sit into the wood are missing any1 know of any good sites for brass fittings for old sail boats?this boat has no name i am naming it DILLINGER after my sons nickname when hes been bold
Marty7n is offline Find More Posts by Marty7n
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:16 PM
Joined Apr 2010
61 Posts
It looks like a casual scale model of Francis Drake's "Golden Hinde" to me, Marty. Type that in under Google Images and you'll get a couple of hundred photos of the reproduction in London and portraits of the original ship. For parts, just type in "wooden ship model parts" in Google and you'll get the top twenty or so sites right off the bat.
clayfeld is online now Find More Posts by clayfeld
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:53 PM
retrocopter
Joined Jul 2011
194 Posts
Much apreciated on the name cheers.more to follow.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:06 AM
Joined Oct 2006
854 Posts
i'd hold off on the golden hind though.....
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:41 PM
Joined Apr 2010
61 Posts
I think you're right, Yancovitch. The more I look at it, the less it looks like Pelican/Golden Hinde. The prominent bowsprit enhancement and the flat transom through me off. The rigging is all wrong, isn't it- and too many guns!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:53 PM
retrocopter
Joined Jul 2011
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayfeld View Post
I think you're right, Yancovitch. The more I look at it, the less it looks like Pelican/Golden Hinde. The prominent bowsprit enhancement and the flat transom through me off. The rigging is all wrong, isn't it- and too many guns!
Its more the thought of my uncle giving me it that made me clean it up in the first place.just incase this conversation veers sharply in the wrong direction.

Its no name model so yous are all completely wrong as I found a made in china sticker on the very bottom.

it hasa blank name plate also so iv no idea what its based on or what year!
But I still love it all the same as the other models I have.

What year is the pelican/golden hinde from?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:17 PM
Joined Apr 2010
61 Posts
1577-1580 was Drake's voyage period.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:14 AM
glen burnie, md
Joined Feb 2009
179 Posts
I've cleaned and repaired these models before. They are mostly made in Asia and the Phillipines. The reason there is no name is because they make them whatever ship they want. They are still sold and detail changes year to year. One year they'll have gunport lids, next year they won't, etc. They are sold as Santisima Trinidad, Victory, etc, but are the same basic model. They vary in size from 14" to 50".
http://www.tallshipmodels.com/tall-m...el-20inch.html

http://www.handcraftedmodelships.com...oyal-louis.php

I would be careful getting them near water.. They are put together with hide or hot glue and don't do well in water or near the sun.
captmsr is offline Find More Posts by captmsr
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:06 PM
retrocopter
Joined Jul 2011
194 Posts
Its been a window ornament all its life and after looking at how its built and no balance I dont plan on changen its life.
Closed Thread