HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:34 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
Discussion
Hot Wire Power - And more questions

What are you guys using for wire-cutter power supplies?
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Last edited by schrederman; Feb 20, 2013 at 10:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:34 PM
Spy's sappin' my thermal!
Seattle, WA
Joined May 2009
137 Posts
I have two that I use.

One is a Duratrax ICE battery charger. It has a motor break-in mode dating back to the days when you needed to break in brushed motors before using them. It maxes out at 8 volts, by .1 volt increments, and also has a current readout. Not quite enough voltage for bigger bows, though.

The other that I have is a router speed control (http://www.harborfreight.com/router-...rol-43060.html or similar) and a 24V, 6A transformer. It has two drawbacks: I can't turn the voltage down low enough to run my smaller bows, and it's easy to accidently flip it from 'variable' to 'full power' which makes quick work of .016" wire. A lower-voltage transformer would solve both of those, but I got the 24V one dirt cheap.

Were I shopping for a new charger, I'd probably get on of the IChargers from ProgressiveRC (http://www.progressiverc.com/chargers/battery-chargers) and have that double as my foam cutting power supply. They have a foam cutting mode that supplies up to 25V and 10A, which would cover my needs and probably quite a bit more.
Chris Sutton is offline Find More Posts by Chris Sutton
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:22 AM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sutton View Post
The other that I have is a router speed control (http://www.harborfreight.com/router-...rol-43060.html or similar) and a 24V, 6A transformer.
That and an automotive battery charger with a "start" setting.
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:30 AM
Liempde, Netherlands
Joined Jul 2007
150 Posts
I simply use the 12V car battery that I also use for my whinch.
For a 0.3mm NiCr wire you get the correct current when placing the clamps on the wire about 2 feet (50-70cm) apart.
Simple & safe
ron gijzen is offline Find More Posts by ron gijzen
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:49 AM
Joined Oct 2006
76 Posts
For cuts up to two feet, I use an old computer power supply to get my 12V. For cuts shorter than 20", I use an LED dimmer switch http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers...dp/B003L4KKF2/ to drop the power. When I found a setting I liked for a given length of cut, I simply made a line on the dial. I had a multimeter on it at one time, and I think I needed 0.45 watts/inch, but that was with my specific wire/foam combo.

Don't worry too much about your power source. Make it safe, adjustable, and repeatable, and you'll be fine. There are a million different ways to dump power over a wire, and there really isn't much difference between any of them.
MarkRebuck is offline Find More Posts by MarkRebuck
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:43 AM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Dec 2005
2,856 Posts
Cheap and available, works great.
Dave
David Forbes is offline Find More Posts by David Forbes
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:10 AM
"...certainty is absurd."
Joined Jan 2007
3,601 Posts
The transformer from a rechargeable drill charging station is usually 18VAC or so, which works well. If you are like me, you've had a few drills die and have left over charging stations. I just take out all the recharging electronics, and connect directly to the transformer outputs.

I have a couple of old ones that put out 12VAC from 9V drills, which is about right for my blocking bows without any adjustment.

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:29 AM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Dec 2005
2,856 Posts
Transformers from halogen lights are usually 12VAC, don't require modification. If you've got a junk box you probably have something that will work
Dave
David Forbes is offline Find More Posts by David Forbes
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:27 PM
Milwaukee G Mitchell, Wisconsin, United States
Joined Mar 2002
757 Posts
Some newer battery chargers have a foam cutting option. I know my iCharger does.
But I use an Astro 110D charger. Simple current adjust with digital display.
Nobody seems to listen to me on this so if you want more info you'll have to ask.
davekra is offline Find More Posts by davekra
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:33 PM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
558 Posts
If you wanna get real nuts and have something plug n play:

http://www.mastechpowersupply.com/dc...3a/prod_2.html

I use it on my CNC and it controls the kerf very well. You can set a constant amperage or voltage. Overkill for a bow, but still handy in the long run.

Will
heliwill10 is offline Find More Posts by heliwill10
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:02 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
OK... Thanks for the replies... I have a 12VDC - 10A power supply that I use with my battery charger at home. I think that will work. I made a foam cutter many years ago that would cut tapers. I was cutting up tp 48" in white foam with .020 safety wire.... but only used it once. With the blue and pink foam, what's the max recommended length of panels I can cut... and stay pretty accurate. My intention is to bag my male wing plugs and make female molds from them, for a 166" span glider.

Thanks, again...

Darth Composite Noob... AKA Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:44 PM
I DS slower than I build!
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,348 Posts
I built one of these: http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...amcutterps.htm It works great.
Cory is offline Find More Posts by Cory
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:48 AM
Live and let Fly !
Mill Hill - London
Joined Aug 2009
107 Posts
Built a modified version of the schematic shown. main diffrerances;

higher a.c. voltage to drive enough amps to cut 'blue' foam
addition of switchable ballast resitors for long / short bow operations.

it works just fine

LB
Lawrence B is offline Find More Posts by Lawrence B
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:22 AM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
OK... Thanks for the replies... I have a 12VDC - 10A power supply that I use with my battery charger at home. I think that will work. I made a foam cutter many years ago that would cut tapers. I was cutting up tp 48" in white foam with .020 safety wire.... but only used it once. With the blue and pink foam, what's the max recommended length of panels I can cut... and stay pretty accurate. My intention is to bag my male wing plugs and make female molds from them, for a 166" span glider.

Thanks, again...

Darth Composite Noob... AKA Jack
At 33" with a .033 wire I use 1.95amps and my voltage is around 27-31 volts. I can't cut much more than that....

Will
heliwill10 is offline Find More Posts by heliwill10
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:40 PM
I DS slower than I build!
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence B View Post
Built a modified version of the schematic shown. main diffrerances;

higher a.c. voltage to drive enough amps to cut 'blue' foam
addition of switchable ballast resitors for long / short bow operations.

it works just fine

LB
But don't use nicrome wire.
Cory is offline Find More Posts by Cory