|Feb 19, 2013, 05:12 PM|
FMS 1450mm P-51B: The 540 Power Plant!
This is my Prop/Spinner & FMS G&C 4250-540kv set-up for the P-51B "Old Crow"!
I'm going to show how I set up the prop, spinner & 540 motor in preparation of my P-51B conversion to Bud Anderson's Old Crow that Jack Roush rebuilt back in 2001.
I went thru my usual routine of weighing and balancing the blades, backing plate and spinner combo prior to the dyno run-up test.
As I did on the Big Beautiful Doll, I did Nick/v8Truckin's 1mm zip tie mod to increase the pitch to 10º +-. Because I didn't like the penetration the 17mm bolts had in the ny-locks I changed out the oem 3mm X 17mm philips head screws with 3mm X 20mm Hex head cap screws so I would insure I got adequate thread penetration thru the 3mm ny-locks.
Before I mounted the prop combo on the DuBro balancer, I needed to paint the yellow stripe on the spinner to coincide with the spinner on the Old Crow. The technique I used to accomplish that was to first mark border lines with a pencil where I wanted the stripe to be. Using a pic I had found of Jack's spinnner, I estimated about a 33% division between the red & yellow strips. Carefully following the pencil marks with 1/4" masking I then covered the remainder of the spinner with blue painters tape. Having the spinner mounted on a backing plate I took a 3/16" dowel to use as a pivot. That way I could spin it so I could apply the paint evenly. *Note* Fill in the two screw channels first before applying the stripe. I applied 3 coats of Krylon Fusion Sunbeam/Safety Yellow #2330, and then let it dry overnight. The next morning I removed the tape and spayed a couple of coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Gloss #51301 to seal the paint.
Now that I had the spinner painted to my satisfaction, I mounted the prop assembly on the DuBro, applied two small strips of duct tape to the inside of the backing plate to achieve balance, and then mounted the prop on the 540 motor in preparation of it's run-up test.
I ran two separate tests on the G&C 4250-540kv motor using the FMS oem 65A ESC.
In the first test I used a Turnigy 4S 5000 25-35C lipo. The results were 944W / 63.4A.
In the second test I used a Zippy 5S 4000 20C lipo. The results were 1300W / 76A.
Although both tests were brief, the oem 65A ESC made it thru, and was mildly warm after the 5S run-up.
Happy with the results, the 540 Power Plant is now ready for installation!
ImagesView all Images in thread
|Mar 14, 2013, 09:37 AM|