HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:26 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Feb 2013
104 Posts
Discussion
Who's building/flying the Mark's Models Wanderer??

When I recently joined RC Groups and posted a short blog entry, I happened to mention I was building a Mark's Wanderer from scratch using an original kit to reproduce the parts, and I got a surprising number of responses. So, I thought I would take this opportunity to start a thread and see what happens.

I know there were several versions - the original 72", which I am building, the 99", which I happen to have stashed away, the Dynaflite version that I believe was stretched to 76" and , I think, an ARF version sold by Tower or Dynaflite back in the day.

Who's building and/or flying and/or rebuilding any version of the Wanderer? I built my first maybe 25 or so years ago. Had a World Engines Expert radio, and launched with an upstart or using a power pod/.049.

Let's see some pictures and hear stories.....
pulserudder is online now Find More Posts by pulserudder
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:12 PM
Joined Oct 2009
22 Posts
I'm still flying the Wanderer 76 I built around 1986, even though it's had its share of crashes. It's been in 3 midairs, is on its third fin, and has had the whole nose replaced due to a servo failure causing a crash straight into the rock face of our slope. After the first midair, all that was left of one outboard wing panel was the spar and tip block! After all this it still flies as well as any 2 meter woodie around here.
tubebass is offline Find More Posts by tubebass
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:38 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,220 Posts
You asked for it . . . .
I have a Wanderer 72" with a bit of history. The original wing was built by my Dad in the late 70', early 80's. I schelped it around with me for five or so years then finally finished the build. It finally flew in 1987, being tossed off a small hill overlooking a football field while I was building an Oly II. About the time the Oly was done I was getting a couple of laps around the field with the Wanderer.
I started beating the Oly while the Wanderer collected dust. I still have mixed emotions about which plane got the raw end of the deal.
About 1996 after having developed some fairly good flying skills with a Falcon 880 I was looking at the Wanderer and remembering it's flying abilities so I rehabed it and started flying it off a winch once in a while.
Came across a Wanderer 99 kit which I gave to a buddy as his first build, we did a pretty good job of it if I say so myself. Two years later he gave up R/C and the 99 was mine.
I flew it more often than the 72 until I totaled the 99 fuselage. While building a new one I dusted off the 72 and got out the high start.
Stretched it 70 steps, that was a whimpy launch. Go for 80 steps, that's better. Let's try 90 steps, hello left wing tip, I am the right wing tip!
Both the 72 and the 99 have been repaired and see the skies often. The 72 is completly scratch built with .014 carbon in the middle of the spar, it can take 110 steps now and not think anything of it. The 99 fuselage has holes in the sides ala the Windfree which I think are pretty cool.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Last edited by Thermaler; Aug 23, 2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:00 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2010
218 Posts
I built a couple back in 1977 and '81, and a third in 1991. Had I known the kit was going to be discontinued, I would have kept the plans. I've also had three Windwards since 1974, and always liked them better than the Wanderer. That said, the Wanderer can probably be credited with teaching more beginners the basics of soaring than any other design from that era. Our LHS was selling the kit for something like $16.95. Toss in a cheap two-channel radio and a couple rolls of Monokote, and you could be in the air in a weekend--and for less than $100. My only real complaint about the Wanderer was its irritating tendency to blow up on hi-starts.
Moeregaard is offline Find More Posts by Moeregaard
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:56 PM
United States, HI, Maui
Joined Aug 2011
196 Posts
Wanderer

When I first got into RC gliders, a friend gave me an unfinished Wanderer that had a completed two-piece wing. There was no tail so I copied a Vista tail and it seemed to work very well. I cartwheeled a landing and broke the outer panel which I repaired. The Wanderer is one of my favorite floaters and was the lightest glider that I owned.

I was able to locate a PDF of the plan but need a clean copy of the ribs.

The photos of the two-piece wing were posted on this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post24175421
Mokulele808 is offline Find More Posts by Mokulele808
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tower Hobbies Vista BL
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:54 AM
Joined May 2005
241 Posts
Wanderer scratchbuild

I started scratch building a new Wanderer several months ago.
My third in many years

Will post pics of the frame soon.
Alard is offline Find More Posts by Alard
Last edited by Alard; Feb 21, 2013 at 07:45 AM. Reason: too much
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:31 PM
United States, OK, Claremore
Joined Jun 2012
258 Posts
I don't know if anybody knew this but there is a short kit available for the 99. You will Need plans though. If I ever find plans I would build it for sure.

http://lazer-works.com/list.html
vicrider is offline Find More Posts by vicrider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: scratch fpv pusher
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:17 PM
Joined May 2005
241 Posts
Wanderer 99 plans

I have seen plans somewhere around here.
Let me check.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:35 PM
Joined May 2005
241 Posts
Here it is!

Proof that I've been working hard on my winter builds.
76" span scratchbuilt Wanderer. W/mods.
Last edited by Alard; Feb 23, 2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:59 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alard View Post
Proof
That is one of the Wanderer's (72", 76" or 78") wing design stretched to 99. A 99 has a built up spar with shear webbing, the three little Wanderer's used a single stick of spruce.
Whomever is building this one has the rudder wrong also.
Still a nice looking build, is there a link???

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:41 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2010
218 Posts
The vertical fin has the original shape, but the rudder area has been increased. Looks like a very nice build.
Moeregaard is offline Find More Posts by Moeregaard
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:54 PM
Joined Feb 2013
439 Posts
I have a 72" Wanderer that I built from a kit in the late 80s. It has been crashed and repaired and it is a little ragged now, but it still flies decently.
George Franklin is online now Find More Posts by George Franklin
Old Apr 15, 2013, 09:16 PM
Joined Apr 2013
6 Posts
Wander

I found PDF plans on RC universe for the wanderer 72. I just had them copied at a blue print shop for $3.00. I tried to find original ribs but could not so I used my cad program and replicated a set of ribs. I think they are pretty accurate. I am amazed at the quality of the wanderer pic I see. I am starting to scratch my wanderer. Just for grins does any one know about rib patterns for this? I would love to see how close to original I am. I plan to up loading pics
Chris Carson is offline Find More Posts by Chris Carson
Old Apr 16, 2013, 02:09 AM
Portland, OR
Joined Jun 2010
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Carson View Post
I found PDF plans on RC universe for the wanderer 72. I just had them copied at a blue print shop for $3.00. I tried to find original ribs but could not so I used my cad program and replicated a set of ribs. I think they are pretty accurate. I am amazed at the quality of the wanderer pic I see. I am starting to scratch my wanderer. Just for grins does any one know about rib patterns for this? I would love to see how close to original I am. I plan to up loading pics

Do you have a link to the page?
78_elky is offline Find More Posts by 78_elky
Old Apr 16, 2013, 02:33 AM
Joined Jan 2012
106 Posts
I have the plastic fuse that my dad bought back in the 70's.
wagonmaster69 is offline Find More Posts by wagonmaster69