Thomas
Joined Feb 2013
22 Posts
Help!
Which Flight Control?

Hey guys,

I'm new here but I have already some flight experience
Now I read much about the MultiWii project and I wanna built a quadrocopter too
A huge problem is the decision which Flight Control I should choose.
In my oppinion the most important part of a quad is the quality of the electronics, so I don't wanna buy trash
At all I found different boards:
- Paris v4r6 with Sirius (328 is outdated I read?)
- CRIUS AIOP 2.0 (pretty cheap, nice sensors)
- Flyduino NanoWii (small, nice sensors)
- HK Boards (damned cheap, don't know sth about quality...)

And just to make clear, I don't wanna have bad hardware. That's why I focused on Paris (and cause of easy gps addon). But now I read that the 328 is old and doesn't have 11-bit pwm outputs. Can you confirm this?
CRIUS is a nice alternative, what do you say to it?
Flyduino is nice but very small, don't know if I can handle the size
And the HK boards... just cheap. But can they hold what they promise? For example this, with gps for 65 bucks...
Are there good boards missing? And which one do you suggest for me?
Keep in mind that I'm only 16 and can't spend more than maybe 100$ (shipping to Germany is about 25$ too )

Thanks for your help
Thomas
IceCube is offline Find More Posts by IceCube
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:15 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,410 Posts
As you're in Germany, why not buy German? http://flyduino.net/Flight-Controlle...-aircraft-unit
Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Mortimer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 5V Power Supply
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:21 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Deutschland
Joined Nov 2009
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCube View Post

And just to make clear, I don't wanna have bad hardware.

Thanks for your help
Thomas
the future has arrived!

QUANTON

-> http://www.quantec-networks.de/quanton

System information and components:
  • STM32F405 32bit arm cortex-m4 cpu with fpu, 192k ram and 1024k flash
  • invensense MPU6000 3-axis accel and 3-axis gyro sensor honeywell
  • HMC5883L 3-axis compass meas-spec MS5611 high precision
  • barometer 32mbit spi flash memory up to 8 x pwm input, 1 x ppm input,
  • up to 15 x pwm output up to 5 x uart, 2 x i2c, sbus, dsmx, mini usb, swd
  • 50x50mm board size, 45x45mm mikrokopter style mounting

JUERGEN_ is offline Find More Posts by JUERGEN_
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:41 AM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Jan 2013
1,162 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm new here but I have already some flight experience
Now I read much about the MultiWii project and I wanna built a quadrocopter too
A huge problem is the decision which Flight Control I should choose.
In my oppinion the most important part of a quad is the quality of the electronics, so I don't wanna buy trash
At all I found different boards:
- Paris v4r6 with Sirius (328 is outdated I read?)
- CRIUS AIOP 2.0 (pretty cheap, nice sensors)
- Flyduino NanoWii (small, nice sensors)
- HK Boards (damned cheap, don't know sth about quality...)

And just to make clear, I don't wanna have bad hardware. That's why I focused on Paris (and cause of easy gps addon). But now I read that the 328 is old and doesn't have 11-bit pwm outputs. Can you confirm this?
CRIUS is a nice alternative, what do you say to it?
Flyduino is nice but very small, don't know if I can handle the size
And the HK boards... just cheap. But can they hold what they promise? For example this, with gps for 65 bucks...
Are there good boards missing? And which one do you suggest for me?
Keep in mind that I'm only 16 and can't spend more than maybe 100$ (shipping to Germany is about 25$ too )

Thanks for your help
Thomas
Thomas, I'm only into the RC Quad thing a month myself. For my money the DJI NAZA series of FC's and various other components can't be beat. The entry level NAZA-M and their GPS add-on have worked well for me. However, it is helpful if you have someone walk you through the Programing Assistant as it is a bit of a chore to rap your head around.

Good luck...
hoggdoc is offline Find More Posts by hoggdoc
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:08 AM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Mar 2011
1,589 Posts
Here's a great interactive chart listing the majority of flight controllers available.

http://oddcopter.com/flight-controllers/
Cyberdactyl is offline Find More Posts by Cyberdactyl
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:29 PM
Thomas
Joined Feb 2013
22 Posts
Okay, thanks for your responses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
As you're in Germany, why not buy German? http://flyduino.net/Flight-Controlle...-aircraft-unit
Well, I mentioned the Flyduino boards in my first post already and I think the MW32 and the NanoWii are nice. But I don't know anything about the quality of Flyduino's...

@Juergen
The Quantec looks very nice and price is fair for such a high quality product. But do you know sth about the sensors and the cpu?
Edit: Informed more about the board now, seems awesome! Only problem I have is: Does MultiWii support this cpu? Cause I couldn't find much about the cpu, it seems fast and fits nice in a quad but as I said, I couldn't find anything about the MW support :O

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggdoc View Post
Thomas, I'm only into the RC Quad thing a month myself. For my money the DJI NAZA series of FC's and various other components can't be beat. The entry level NAZA-M and their GPS add-on have worked well for me. However, it is helpful if you have someone walk you through the Programing Assistant as it is a bit of a chore to rap your head around.

Good luck...
Wow, the NAZA is ways too expensive, sry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdactyl View Post
Here's a great interactive chart listing the majority of flight controllers available.

http://oddcopter.com/flight-controllers/
Thx for the link, I will compare the FC's.

But I would be interested in the HK boards, does sb know if they do the job? Some experiences maybe?

Thomas
Last edited by IceCube; Feb 20, 2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:23 PM
WZ9V, AMA 409852
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Jan 2007
1,416 Posts
I have the Flyduino Nano FC and his Micro Frame on order. From what I've seen and read it looks like a blast and I can tell you that Felix is a great guy to deal with.

For a newbie I've read that the KK2 controller from HK is a good starting place since it has its own LCD and 4 buttons for setup. While easy to setup it does not offer all the way cool features, like GPS, etc so on. Have one of these on the way but who knows when it will arrive from China.

My experience with HK stuff so far is that its pretty hit or miss. I have one of their 328 boards US Warehouse and so far I can't get it to work. I'm going to keep futzing with it until I get it to work or the KK2 arrives from China.

If your just looking for Quad flying fun cheap, I'd look at the V929/mQX. More money but small I'd get (and did) the Flyduino Micro and NanoWii.

Check out the KK2 on oddcopter, great write-up and looks to be the most beginner friendly for a build it yourself or kit frame.

Welcome to the insanity. After FC you can waste a ton of time reasearch ESCs

Just to save you some time look up RapidESC and be prepared to order some F-30A ESC and a USBASP from HobbyKing
dfruehwald is offline Find More Posts by dfruehwald
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:46 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Joined Mar 2011
1,589 Posts
I have the V2.1 ...Never could get to work properly

I also have the V3.0 ...Worked great, but 'died' in the middle of a flight. The yaw gyro just quit working. Got somewhere around three hours of air time out of it.

I'm now using the KK2 with 1.5 and love it. Auto-level works like a dream and feels at LEAST twice as stable as the V3.0 did when it was working at it's best.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:38 AM
Thomas
Joined Feb 2013
22 Posts
Hey,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfruehwald View Post
I have the Flyduino Nano FC and his Micro Frame on order. From what I've seen and read it looks like a blast and I can tell you that Felix is a great guy to deal with.
Okay, but I think NanoWii is too small for my first tries

Quote:
For a newbie I've read that the KK2 controller from HK is a good starting place since it has its own LCD and 4 buttons for setup. While easy to setup it does not offer all the way cool features, like GPS, etc so on. Have one of these on the way but who knows when it will arrive from China.
No, I don't need a display, I like programming on the pc. And I don't think the HK boards have same quality then paris/quanton/naza.

Quote:
Just to save you some time look up RapidESC and be prepared to order some F-30A ESC and a USBASP from HobbyKing
Do you have a link? Found several 30a ESCs on HK :O

So at least I think to take the Quanton, price with about 115 is okay, fast shipping (already in Germany), very good hardware and German support. But I have a last question to the board: It doesn't support MultiWii but TauLabs. Can you say anything about this source code? Is it easier in programming? Has it better efficiency? Do enough people use this code and can help if I have problems?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:35 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Deutschland
Joined Nov 2009
660 Posts
Quote:
Do you have a link? Found several 30a ESCs on HK :O
immediately operational with software from Simon Kirby
-> http://abusemark.com/store/index.php...products_id=27

it works well.

JUERGEN_ is offline Find More Posts by JUERGEN_
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:47 PM
Thomas
Joined Feb 2013
22 Posts
Okay, thanks. Do normal ESC's not work? Like this? Or can't they handle the 500Hz PPM input?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:12 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,671 Posts
Normal esc like plush will work. ESC with rapidesc (simonk) firmware work better but there are timing problems with some motors. The small micro motors do not always start smoothly and some pancake type motors may lose sync.

Since TauLabs is a fork of OpenPilot you would probably find more relevant information on CopterControl (CC or CC3D) control boards. The OpenPilot wiki should give you the overview what to expect from TauLabs and Quanton boards.
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Last edited by pug398; Feb 22, 2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:22 AM
Head full of foam
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Jan 2013
324 Posts
The main factor for me was if a lot of people were already using it.

Take this thread for instance:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1837565

0 replies. If that were a KK2 or naza, he'd have responses by now. I had issues with both my naza and KK2. I started no threads and asked no questions, didn't have to, just googled and read a lot.

Anyway, something to consider.
RuralFPV is offline Find More Posts by RuralFPV
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:42 AM
Thomas
Joined Feb 2013
22 Posts
Yeah, I think the support for HK boards is very bad...
Do you think Quanton support eg in this forum is good enough?

Edit: pug, can I flash the ESC's with the simonk firmware myself or do I have to buy them already flashed?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:41 AM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Joined Mar 2011
1,589 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I think the support for HK boards is very bad...

Edit: pug, can I flash the ESC's with the simonk firmware myself or do I have to buy them already flashed?
If you look around here at RCG, you can find SO much support for your board it's actually overwhelming.

Yes, you can flash the ESC's yourself. HERE's a decent video on how to do it.

I built my own pin adapter using the cable that comes with the ASPusb cable, some InstaMorph, and some extra wire and lead pins.

Last edited by Cyberdactyl; Feb 23, 2013 at 09:50 AM.