HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 07, 2013, 05:02 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,659 Posts
[QUOTE=DavidHarrison;24350888]Brandon, we verified this change does work here. We were using a customer's file with an unusually wide throttle range for the start-up and idle - 5%-25%.

The default throttle range for the start-up and idle is 5.1-10%. This is only 1/20 of the total travel of the throttle stick which is a bit narrow, but if you are careful you should be able to get the idle to play. There are two options if this doesn't work - widen the throttle range for the start-up and idle sound or add an additional idle only clip just above the start-up and idle sound.[/QUOTEThanks Davind, I noticed that too in in a few instances it actually downloaded with both the shut down and Idel up sequence with a 0 to 5.1% which over lapped them (T28Trojan sound set)

0 to 5% and 5.1 to 10% ....is pretty narrow area.... will have to adjust that
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:08 PM
Sound System Expert
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2006
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
One quick technical question:

1) I have a 4 Ohm speaker. Could I run this speaker on a 3s pack without damaging it in a single speaker setup? Would the 4 Ohm speaker be as loud or louder than an 8 Ohm speaker on a 4s pack?.
Yes, it would be quite safe to use a single 4Ohm speaker on a 3S pack and it would probably be about as loud as using an 8 Ohm on a 4S pack. The only thing about using the sound system on a 3S pack is that the amplifier chip manufacturer specifies a minimum of 10 volts for the amp. to work, and as a 3S pack runs down towards the end of the flight it wll dip below 10V. At 9.5V the chip's bullt in under-voltage protection circuit will kick in and cut off the power output so the sound will suddenly cut out.

We generally do not recommend using a 3S pack with the sound module. If your model is small and has to run on a 3S, use a 1S cell in series with it to give a 4S pack just for the sound module.

As far as the FW-190 sound file, we checked our master copy here and the only thing wrong with it was the previously stated start-up idle being Increasing Only.

We are in the process of correcting all our files, but there is a large number to get through so will take a little while to get done.
DavidHarrison is offline Find More Posts by DavidHarrison
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:11 PM
Sound System Expert
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2006
420 Posts
[QUOTE=brandonmoon;24353842]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHarrison View Post
Brandon, we verified this change does work here. We were using a customer's file with an unusually wide throttle range for the start-up and idle - 5%-25%.

The default throttle range for the start-up and idle is 5.1-10%. This is only 1/20 of the total travel of the throttle stick which is a bit narrow, but if you are careful you should be able to get the idle to play. There are two options if this doesn't work - widen the throttle range for the start-up and idle sound or add an additional idle only clip just above the start-up and idle sound.[/QUOTEThanks Davind, I noticed that too in in a few instances it actually downloaded with both the shut down and Idel up sequence with a 0 to 5.1% which over lapped them (T28Trojan sound set)

0 to 5% and 5.1 to 10% ....is pretty narrow area.... will have to adjust that
I am open to suggestions for what a good default throttle range is for the start-up/idle sound - Would 5-15% be better?
DavidHarrison is offline Find More Posts by DavidHarrison
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:37 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,659 Posts
[QUOTE=DavidHarrison;24354471]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon View Post

I am open to suggestions for what a good default throttle range is for the start-up/idle sound - Would 5-15% be better?
I'm actually trying that right now...5 - 13.5% first then I'm going to try 5 - 15%

I'll let you know later which one seems to work better. I'm also using a Futaba 12FG like "EddieP" is

it's actually workable as is....but just trying to see if giving it a bit broader range? ...it will improve things any better?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:14 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,607 Posts
I've found for me right now, the best setup on my radio (ours) is for right now to use the idle up switch. It reliably starts the sound and stops the sound via the switch. Anything in between is idle to full power sound - even if the tx signal kicks between a sound file or two it will never shut down like it will occasionally if I use a trim switch. That's just me. The only thing I don't like about it is my prop starts before the full "start up sound" really gets going. I initially had the sound start up point adjusted to a lower level and I could start the sound before the motor would kick over. So I'd flip the idle up switch, hear the start sequence, and just about the point where the starter would sound I'd add three blips of throttle trim and get the prop to tick over slowly at low power. For some reason after several tests my card acted dodgy - no sounds at all. I wiped the sound file with a newly downloaded sound file for the 190 to get everything back working. That's when I noticed the strange default settings from the download (what I posted about last). I fixed those and then noticed I was not able to input new throttle points like I had customized before - the program just would not let me and would give me a "!" as I tried to enter new settings to shift the start points of the loops (yes I know there must be no gaps, I was trying but the program would not let me adjust the numbers). Fortunately the default numbers work well enough for now, and I'm not sure what I did wrong but I'll have more time to play with it next Tuesday. I'm sure it's something silly that I'm doing but for now I've run out of time and have to shelve it for a few days.

When I get my Ta-152 flying and the bugs start to get worked out of the model in general, I'll get back into the card programming and put the start up sound on a separate switch so the prop movement can be better timed to the start up sounds.

For you Brandon, you are way ahead of me on applying this sound card to your models so I'd love to see what you end up doing and what works for you.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eddie P; Mar 07, 2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:24 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,659 Posts
Thanks Eddie, but I'm still learning and playing arround. I am just a "padawan" to Davids Master Jedi teachings here...lol
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:42 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,607 Posts
Not sure if I even qualify as a "Padawan" learner myself but I'll give it a shot
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:54 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,659 Posts
LOL...sure ya do
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2013, 03:22 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,659 Posts
EddieP, Can you post some pictures how you set up your "Kill switch" setup for you sound setup on the Spad. Both on the TX (Futaba 12fg) and any mixing that you may had done? and the setup in the SFX program and what need to be set on what page and tad settings...etc.

I'm interested in setting that up and giving it a try, But I need to know EXACTLY what you've done and how?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2013, 03:41 PM
Springfield, MA
Joined Dec 2004
517 Posts
Quote:
EddieP, Can you post some pictures how you set up your "Kill switch" setup for you sound setup on the Spad. Both on the TX (Futaba 12fg) and any mixing that you may had done? and the setup in the SFX program and what need to be set on what page and tad settings...etc.

I'm interested in setting that up and giving it a try, But I need to know EXACTLY what you've done and how?
i have both of my setups with the Start/Shutdown on my Kill Switch (Futaba H9C).. David set it up for me when I rec'd my units. The start/shutdown files are on the #1 Sound channel which it connected to my Ch7 on the rec.

Grant
GrantL is offline Find More Posts by GrantL
Old Mar 08, 2013, 03:59 PM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,944 Posts
[QUOTE=DavidHarrison;24354471]
Quote:

Still going strong I see. When are you going to stop freeloading and get a site sponsorship like Andrew
Gohmer is online now Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old Mar 08, 2013, 04:17 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,659 Posts
"freeloading" ????? who is that directed at? It implies something? from a post David quoted in reply to me. Not exactly sure what you're implying here?

I hope you're not implicating that I'm "free loading"? or is this directed at David?

Would you please clarify your meaning and intentions?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Mar 08, 2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 09:05 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,659 Posts
What SD cards will work with the SFX module? I've tried seversl so far Scandisk, Pny, Generic, kingston...class 4,6, and 10...etc (9 in total) and though they will play files...you can't edit on them in the SFX Software?..... so what is the correct brand and type to buy?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Mar 09, 2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 09:25 PM
Springfield, MA
Joined Dec 2004
517 Posts
Quote:
What SD cards will work with the SFX module? I've tried seversl so far Scandisk, Pny, Generic, kengston...class 4,6, and 10...etc (9 in total) and though they will play files...you can't edit on then in the SFX Software?..... so what is the correct brand and type to buy?
Here's the link to the web site for the cards that David sells.

http://www.modelsoundsinc.com/micro-SDCards.htm
GrantL is offline Find More Posts by GrantL
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:09 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,659 Posts
Thanks, not quite what the info I was needing, but thank you.
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread