SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:03 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,656 Posts
Here you go David Thanks for all your help to my goofy and crazy questions

LX B 25 Real Sound Modification (0 min 0 sec)
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Feb 20, 2013 at 04:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:07 PM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHarrison View Post
Whoops - posted by error, sorry.
You're doing great David! Five more pages and you'll catch up to Andrew.
Gohmer is offline Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:20 PM
Sound System Expert
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2006
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon View Post
Here you go David Thanks for all your help to my goofy and crazy questions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwsb_...q_a6rTNJrSCjFg
Thanks for that, Brandon, just a note about the power supply. Your video said you were using a 4S LiPo for the sound system. If you went to a 6S, it would be quite a bit louder.
DavidHarrison is offline Find More Posts by DavidHarrison
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:27 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,656 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for that, Brandon, just a note about the power supply. Your video said you were using a 4S LiPo for the sound system. If you went to a 6S, it would be quite a bit louder.
Yeah I know ...and yes on that run up I was using the flight pack which is a 4S 5500 mah and the amp volume was only set at about 80%. I now have it changed up and use 2 x 3s 800mah Lipos in serries to power it and at 100% volume, and it sounds much better and louder. But I do have it rigged so I can power it either way. I'll be posting more on it later along with a few more videos when your other unit arrives here in a few days.....The A-1 Sky Raider and P-51 Mustang
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Feb 20, 2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:54 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,656 Posts
Question for David?

If I were to use 4 x (8 Ohm) 3 inch speakers? how would you recomend wiring them to the shockwave unit? can you post a wiring diagram?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:16 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,273 Posts
Hi David, I will watch this thread with interest. I've been looking forward to getting my sound system up and running again. I've been without a sound system software setup package as my PC has for a long time been a spare computer the kids use and it went down recently. My Mac machines in the house don't have windows and I've been too lazy to install bootcamp. But my PC is available again for sound setup on my latest project!

Setup is the older Version 6 sound board running a single 4" 8 Ohm speaker tapped off my 8s pack but regulated of course for 5s power to the sound board (so I don't burn it up and blow the speaker on 8s of course!!)

Still working on that darn Supercharger file. I'm on my third version, I just can't seem to get it right. But I'll send off the file when I'm done, maybe someone else can use it too. Would work for any WWII supercharged fighter as an add on switch activated or throttle paired sound effect.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:17 AM
CT Boater
Joined Mar 2011
6 Posts
David - Nice move to RCGroups! Weather permitting, I'm showing my tug at WRAM this weekend. The tug sounds great thanks to Shockwave and the acoustic files.
Marchy is offline Find More Posts by Marchy
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:44 AM
Joined Aug 2011
33 Posts
RC Groups Model Sounds support forum

David,

I agree with others....it's nice to see this forum start up! It's great seeing other projects and seeing how each unique setup is tackled. Thank you for your assistance thus far with my SFX6 module...I hope to have the Camel flying this spring. Here is a link to the RC Groups video gallery, and some photos of the initial installation.

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...pwith%20Camel%
Fan369rc is offline Find More Posts by Fan369rc
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:59 AM
Sound System Expert
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2006
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon View Post
Question for David?

If I were to use 4 x (8 Ohm) 3 inch speakers? how would you recomend wiring them to the shockwave unit? can you post a wiring diagram?
Brandon, adding more speakers won't make it any louder. The total available power from the amplifier depends on the supply voltage and the load impedance presented to it. If the net load impedance of the four speaker network is the same ( it should be 8 Ohms for the ShockWave module) the total available power is simply shared between them so each one will get 1/4 of the total.

Using mutliple speakers can help with sound distribution though - you could use two facing downwards, one facing outwards left and the other facing outwards right.

I have written a short article on wiring multiple speakers. You can get it here:

http://www.modelsoundsinc.com/articl...udspeakers.pdf

One important thing you have to watch when using alternate speakers is their sensitivity. For example the 4" Visaton R10S is rated at 90db/1W/1m whereas the Visaton FR8S 3.1 " we sell is rated at only 83dB/1W/1m. Of course there are other 3" speakers around, one of the best being the Monacor SPH-30X/4SW. This speaker is very popular in Europe, but it is VERY expensive. Its sensitivity is 88dB/1W/1m.

Monacor is a German company and they don't have any North American distributors at all - zero, which is quite strange since other European speaker manufacturers do.

I have received a quote from Monacor for a small quantity of these speakers and If I got them in I would have to charge about CAD$80.00 each for them. Sorry, but Monacor is a very expensive company to do business with.
Last edited by DavidHarrison; Feb 21, 2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:11 AM
Sound System Expert
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2006
420 Posts
I have a follow-up question for everyone relating to my previous post. Would anyone be interested in us getting in this Monacor SPH-30X/4SW speaker?

Speaker details are here : http://www.monacor.de/index.php?id=1...kelid=9035&L=1

This speaker is very popular in Europe, but it is VERY expensive. Its sensistivity is 88dB/1W/1m which is 2dB less than the 4inch Visaton R10S we sell.

Monacor is a German company and they don't have any North American distributors at all - zero, which is quite strange since other European speaker manufacturers do. So if we were to offer these for sale we would have to get them direclty from Monacor in Germany.

I have received a quote from Monacor for a small quantity of these speakers and If I got them in I would have to charge about CAD$80.00 each for them.

Remember if you order them yourself from any European retailer, you would have to pay for the transatlantic shipping and import duties yourself.

I would need to get a minimum of five orders for these to make it worth my while to order them.

If you are interested in me getting these speakers in, please let me know either by posting here or directly by email, thanks.
Last edited by DavidHarrison; Feb 21, 2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:09 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,656 Posts
Thanks for the info David...the earlier question wasnt for the B-25.... it is for the new module you just sent....because of space and locations...I may have to use 4 x 3 inch speakers. instead of 4 inch ones. Other wise normaly I would prefer the 4 inch....but some times its not practical
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:24 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,656 Posts
I would be interestes in those speakers David...count me in
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:56 PM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2011
241 Posts
O/ David,
Nice to see you here on RCG.
That vid from Foxflier is what pushed me over the fence on going electric instead of gas on my VQ Porter.(same model as his but different covering)
Im just now entering the 2nd flying season with my sfx7 and it is still performing well.(even after I ditched the plane at a fly in early last year and had to rebuild)

As you can see from the attached photo below, I am not the only one who thinks it sounds great

Quote:
I have a follow-up question for everyone relating to my previous post. Would anyone be interested in us getting in this Monacor SPH-30X/4SW speaker?

Speaker details are here : http://www.monacor.de/index.php?id=1...kelid=9035&L=1

For those of us less-educated in the art of sound systems, what (and how much) advantage would these speakers give the average Joe over the current ones?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Last year you mentioned trying to make Joe Nall in 2013, is that still in the cards?
Arkole Blake is offline Find More Posts by Arkole Blake
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:21 PM
Sound System Expert
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2006
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkole Blake View Post
O/ David,
For those of us less-educated in the art of sound systems, what (and how much) advantage would these speakers give the average Joe over the current ones?

P.S. Last year you mentioned trying to make Joe Nall in 2013, is that still in the cards?
These Monacor speakers are smaller (3" compared to 4"), a little lighter - 150 grams or 5.3oz compared to 162 grams or 5.7oz. They are slightly deeper (42mm compared to 36mm (about 1/4inch deeper). They can handle the same power (20Watts continuous) and have a better low frequency response, but have a lower sensitivity of 87dB/1W/1m compared to 90dB/1W/1m for the 4 inch ones. so they are bit quieter, but only barely so. The big disadvantage is their cost, but if you really need a 3inch speaker and can't accomodate a 4inch one, these are the way to go.

No, sorry, we won't be coming to Joe Nall this year.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:49 PM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2011
241 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. Guess I would have found the size differece if i had followed the link :/.
Sorry to here that you wont make the 'Nall, this will be my first and was hopeing to see you there.
Arkole Blake is offline Find More Posts by Arkole Blake
Closed Thread