HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2013, 05:53 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1 Posts
Tactic 650 flying the Tidewater with wireless buddy box

A quick report on the success of flying the new Tactic 650 transmitter with the Tidewater seaplane. We fly seaplanes every Wednesday at Stony Creek and today was our first outing for the Summer. It was an opportunity to introduce everyone to the Tactic 650 and the Tidewater seaplane. With two Tactic 650 transmitters we were able to demonstrate the wireless buddy box capabilities. A total of 6 guys were able to jump on the Tactic buddy box and fly the Tidewater for a couple laps around the lake. Most guys don't like to fly some one else's airplane but with the buddy box there was no hesitation. Totally positive response from everyone. The Tactic transmitter and the Tidewater are both excellent values in our hobby.
flightstreak is offline Find More Posts by flightstreak
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2013, 08:04 PM
Balsa just crashes better
Bradenton, FL
Joined Nov 2004
600 Posts
combine switches

Thanks for the info Jason & Tim.
I have the radio all dialed into my GeeBee and now I will try combining all three surfaces onto the one switch for low/high rates.
Hope for first flight on the new radio system tomorrow morning.
I really am impressed by this Radio- lots of great features at a nice low price.

Jay
Cub Fan is offline Find More Posts by Cub Fan
Old May 09, 2013, 03:42 PM
Balsa just crashes better
Bradenton, FL
Joined Nov 2004
600 Posts
first flights

Got two flights in on the GeeBee with the Tactic radio this morning.
Everything went well with no issues. I had transfered all the same high and low dual rate numbers over to the new radio and all the settings were spot on.

Jay
Cub Fan is offline Find More Posts by Cub Fan
Old May 09, 2013, 06:48 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
Everything looked good this morning Jay. Good range and responce noted.
This Radio looks very promising and i look forward to converting a few of my planes to wring mine out as well!
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old May 09, 2013, 10:15 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,070 Posts
So far I love my Tactic 650. Sure is nice. I am waiting on a Tidewater so I can fly it with my Tactic. I have an SE-5a and a D-1, which are neat.

I flew the D-1 in a very small gym and it flew great. I was on the rudder a tad too much, but once I got it in the air, I was very happy. I flew two batteries through my D-1. Love it.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old May 10, 2013, 07:30 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
I'm now using the 650 with 4 planes and more soon to be added. After adjusting stick length and tension to personal preference, I find it has s good feel and is easy to use. It's amazing programming flexibility blows away the Spektrum DX6i I'm also using.

Anyone else notice how Horizon has been scrambling to lower the price and include "freebies" with the DX6i ? Maybe the competition is making them nervous. It's always irritated me to pay $50, and earlier $60, for a basic Spektrum Rx. Now I can get 3 Tactic Rx's for the same price!
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Old May 10, 2013, 02:11 PM
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
I'm now using the 650 with 4 planes and more soon to be added. After adjusting stick length and tension to personal preference, I find it has s good feel and is easy to use. It's amazing programming flexibility blows away the Spektrum DX6i I'm also using.

Anyone else notice how Horizon has been scrambling to lower the price and include "freebies" with the DX6i ? Maybe the competition is making them nervous. It's always irritated me to pay $50, and earlier $60, for a basic Spektrum Rx. Now I can get 3 Tactic Rx's for the same price!
And a 20 Model memory !
Old May 10, 2013, 02:29 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN V16 View Post
And a 20 Model memory !
Yep, that too. My Spektrum is all full at 10. The ONLY advantage I see with the Spektrum is "model match" which prevents you from flying a plane set to the incorrect model.

But the 650's superior programming and such features as throttle start for the timer and automatic timed shutoff more than make up for it.
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Old May 12, 2013, 05:49 AM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,466 Posts
Model match is great and I don't know why others don't use some scheme to do the same type of thing, as there are a lot of 'ways' to do it.

Still, the TTX650 at least shows the plane name on the main screen, while my Hitec Optic 6 and Eclipse 7 don't.
Ken Myers is online now Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old May 12, 2013, 09:36 AM
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
I guess it is just up to us to make sure we are on the right plane just as it is up to us the check flight controls for direction and movement before each flight
Old May 12, 2013, 06:05 PM
Joined Jun 2006
17 Posts
Warning

I just crashed a new plane using my new Tatic 650 and a 624 receiver.The plane was a Spad Gnat for combat and I had it up to about 150 ft altitude and the plane was not quite overhead. The receiver went into fail-safe and I lost the plane. What I think happened, because the fuse is a 3/4 inch aluminum channel and the receiver antenna is only about 1 inch long the signal was blocked causing the reciever to go into fail-safe. I had the receiver antenna at least 4 inches above the aluminum but I was looking at the bottom of the plane.

Do not use any flat metal in your plane that could block the signal to the receiver antenna. The receiver antenna is just to short.
papaduck is offline Find More Posts by papaduck
Old May 12, 2013, 06:53 PM
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
Weird. I wonder if it was something else? I know they are not the same but I use nothing bigger than a AR6112 in all my other planes and they have a lot of metal and things "in the way" and i have flown to ranges way far out of a "Park flyer" RX's range with no problems.

I will do some tests this Thursday on the Tactic RX. I may do the wrap it in Aluminum foil test to see just how it works.
I've seen guys lose planes with $100.00 Receivers and $5.00 Hobby King ones.
I refuse to use either !
BTW
Sorry for the crash. No matter what the reason it always S&X !
Old May 13, 2013, 05:37 AM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,466 Posts
Papaduck,

How do you know the plane went into failsafe?
During failsafe the motor shuts down and other surfaces remain where they were.
Is that what happened?
Sorry to hear about your crash. They are never good.
Old May 13, 2013, 06:42 AM
Joined Jun 2006
17 Posts
The engine shut down as the plane was in a slow roll away from me and at that point the receiver antenna was on the other side of the fuse. As it continued the roll and went into a dive I never regained controll. The belly of the plane was always facing me and there was no time for the receiver to re-set itself if it regained the rf signal. Luckily there was very little damage to the plane and the electronics as it hit in high grass and soft dirt.

We did an actual range test of the radio before flying the plane. A friend took the transmitter to the far end of our field, about 1/3 of a mile. The truck actually dropped out of sight as it went over a small hill but control was never lost.

I was very concerned about the metal fuse and the small receiver antenna before the flight and that is why I positioned the antenna 4 inches above the metal fuse. I do not like the very small receiver antenna because it can easily be blocked from the rf signal by most anything, such as the engine, servos and battery pack as the plane changes position in relation to the transmitter.

I will never use this radio in any of my larger planes. I have another small combat plane that has a plastic fuse and the receiver is inside. I will do extensive testing at range to insure there is no problem before it is flown.

Just a note. I started flying RC in 1967 and have had many different radios. There are so many things that can effect an RC system but many of the problems such as static from metal parts have been mostly corrected for in the new radios. I still set up a plane to eliminate as many of these problems as possible.
papaduck is offline Find More Posts by papaduck
Last edited by papaduck; May 13, 2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old May 13, 2013, 07:36 AM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,466 Posts
papaduck,

It does sound like failsafe, from your description, and I’m sure all that metal didn’t help the situation.

But, if the plane was truly in failsafe mode, once the orientation between the transmitter and receiver changed, the signal should have been restored to the receiver, which meant control restored. My bench tests have shown the signal restoration to be almost instantaneous.

I don’t believe it was an antenna ‘length’ problem. It could have been orientation between the transmitter and receiver or all that metal, but not true antenna length.

The antenna length on the Tactic TR624 should not be a problem, but not having a coaxial lead back from the antenna to the receiver could have been an issue in this plane, as a longer coaxial lead could have allowed for a possible better placement.

Simply put 31mm or 1.2 inches is about the 1/4 wave length of 2.4GHz. Due to the components used and the design of the receiver, the actual antenna length might vary a bit, but it will be about 30mm. The antenna on the Tactic TR624 is stated as 1.2 inches or 30mm, which is close enough. About 29/32” or 23mm protrudes from the case of of the TR624, which means there is approximately 7mm inside the case.

There really are no longer, in the general term like the antenna on my xxx 2.4GHz receiver is 4 inches long, 2.4GHz antennas used for standard, hobby RC gear. Some brands have a long coaxial wire to the actual antenna wire to allow for user placement and possible diversity with another antenna wire. Some systems even use a second receiver with more antenna wires for even greater signal diversity alignment. Even so, the antenna part, the part that picks up the actual 2.4GHz signal, is only going to be about 30mm long, give or take a couple of mm.

While a single antenna wire does not allow for great diversity, it has worked well with all of my Hitec Optima receivers with never a glitch.

Here is a link to more information on 2.4GHz antennas:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1494024

and another:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1657095

Ken, who's been flying RC since 1962 and electrics exclusively since 1986.
Last edited by Ken Myers; May 16, 2013 at 02:43 PM.