HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:46 AM
Joined Feb 2013
42 Posts
I am struggling with building the Explorer 60L "ARF" by Nitroplanes. The instructions are very sparse, to say the least, and the fit and finish leaves a lot to be desired.

Like the original poster, I had to cut away a signficicant amount of covering and wood material to get the stabilizer and rudder pushrod tubes to be functional.

Based on some earlier Explorer threads, I have made some modifications to the landing gear to strengthen and move further towards the back. The landing gear as designed are too far front, and the plane drags its tail (it has tricycle gear). I have also reinforced every seam and joint I can find.

I am going to complete it and fly the plane, but compared with other ARFs I have built from Eflight and Hangar 9, there is no comparison in quality. But I am stacking this up as a learning experience as I am still a newbie to rc planes.

On a positive note though, I will say the covering job is quite good with no wrinkles or seams.
daveneumann is offline Find More Posts by daveneumann
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:12 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveneumann View Post
On a positive note though, I will say the covering job is quite good with no wrinkles or seams.
Kind of like lipstick on a pig. It may be a pretty pig, but it's still a pig.......

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:29 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
2,997 Posts
The nitro models are cheap, you have to know going in you get what you pay for.
I buy nitroplanes (CMP models) when they go on sale. Right now I am putting a Spitfire together that was $150, Throw the gear away and enjoy the project.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:37 AM
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jan 2004
90 Posts
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff262 View Post
I'm not defending nitro but every plane I have gotten from them they send a book with all the models from that manufacture since all they do is reship the package, you should have kept the paper work that came with it
Sorry Jeff, no book came with this kit and no manual either, I had to find it online
airega1 is offline Find More Posts by airega1
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:32 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
912 Posts
Tucanos are heavy wing loading planes (30-32 oz per square foot for the SeaGull version). This makes it a worse risk to buy from an unknown manufacturer. But sorry that the ARF was poorly made. And Nitroplanes has seemed to be out of almost all stock for at least 6 months. I can't see them surviving, unless they are selling cars.

Do you have you mind set on a Tucano, or would you consider something else?
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:29 PM
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
I love the looks of the tucano, I have owned 3 tucanos so far that ran with nitro. a fiberglass that came from Brasil, the red scheme phoenix 60' and the blue scheme from nitroplanes. I like the look of the blue scheme one but it didn't hold together very good. I sold it right away. my next tucano will be with the brazilian blue and green scheme. not sure who sells them yet, I would also like to get involved in building one made from Don Smith, if anyone have this plan of suggestions? thanks
Alcidesneto84 is offline Find More Posts by Alcidesneto84
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:17 PM
United States, CO, Dacono
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
I've noticed that too, Nitroplanes needs to change their name to electriconlyplanes as they don't have any nitro planes to sell, maybe it's for the best that they pass into history.
cherokeenut is offline Find More Posts by cherokeenut
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:42 AM
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jan 2004
90 Posts
Tucano

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuest3141 View Post
Tucanos are heavy wing loading planes (30-32 oz per square foot for the SeaGull version). This makes it a worse risk to buy from an unknown manufacturer. But sorry that the ARF was poorly made. And Nitroplanes has seemed to be out of almost all stock for at least 6 months. I can't see them surviving, unless they are selling cars.

Do you have you mind set on a Tucano, or would you consider something else?
It's kind of mind boggling, the fuse is a work of art, ie, the panel lines, the finish, the detail, then they start dropping the ball, stab tubes are way out of line, no plan for the canopy attachment (it has to be removed for assembly at the field), hinge holes way off center, ALL formers needed regluing. the plane is a beauty, don't get me wrong, but the stab problem was a big problem and to make it worse was the customer service guy more or less telling me, "hey it's your problem now.
airega1 is offline Find More Posts by airega1
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:29 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
A sbach 48" great flying plane, a hawksky, just fun and easy,a sonic 185,great power glider well built, a diamond 2500 power glider,excellent quality build, esc went out in sonic 185 and they replaced it no problems, motor went on hawksky after 3 flights,they replaced it no problem. My experience with nitroPlanes
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:54 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
A sbach 48" great flying plane, a hawksky, just fun and easy,a sonic 185,great power glider well built, a diamond 2500 power glider,excellent quality build, esc went out in sonic 185 and they replaced it no problems, motor went on hawksky after 3 flights,they replaced it no problem. My experience with nitroPlanes
You are Incredibly lucky. Or an employee.
My experience with nitroplanes quality and customer service is the same as most peoples. It is very bad quality and nonexistant service. That is why I do not buy from them anymore. I learned.
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:56 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,159 Posts
The seller will always take the heat...if you buy a Ford and and the speedometer quits the day after the warrenty expires do you blame Ford or xyz speedometer company that made the speedometer. the seller is responsible for the product for this very reason.
If you have never been to the WRAM show go.....I went in 05 when I lived in Fredericksburg, It is worth the trip and if nitro planes is there you can talk to them and even tell them they're rep in the US is not very good....
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:55 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
99 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find a really cheap dentist?
Craig Downer is offline Find More Posts by Craig Downer
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:45 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Downer View Post
Does anyone know where I can find a really cheap dentist?
I thought I saw one at www.nitroplanes.com/dentalstuff. But he is currently "out of stock" like all their stuff.
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:19 PM
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
Try this site. its a 60 size with a blue scheme ans i think they ship to the U.S. I have also purchased a 90 size tucano from nitroplanes and wasn't too happy with how the wings and tail attached to the fuselage.
http://www.rc711.com/shop/tucano-60-...it-p-4215.html
Alcidesneto84 is offline Find More Posts by Alcidesneto84
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:11 PM
United States, GA, Douglasville
Joined Apr 2012
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airega1 View Post
Sorry Jeff, no book came with this kit and no manual either, I had to find it online
I know this is an old thread, but where did you find the manual exactly? I looked all day but couldnt find one. The Tucano I'm interested in appears to be the same plane with different paint scheme, so I figure the build method would be the same. Sounds like these are not true ARFs as some crafting has to be done. General Hobby has the one I'm interested in but they have no manula on their site:
http://www.generalhobby.com/tucano-n...ack-p-421.html
Also, did you finish the plane? How did it fly? I'm trying to gather info on this thing before I pull the trigger, if I pull the trigger. Thanks.
Olearsenewbie is offline Find More Posts by Olearsenewbie