HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:29 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaas75 View Post
again i understand what you are saying and agree with you.

My point is to the classic post of adding a 2nd power source for the servos. why would i add a 2nd power source for the servos if that wont make a difference in case flight controller goes bad.
You see what i mean????
This isn't a question of redundancy (not the classic one battery/two battery thing).
This is simply a specific known issue with the Power Module that comes with the APM current sensor.
It is not designed to handle the load of servos. It can reliably supply only enough power to power the
electronics of the APM (and maybe the Rx), and that's it. If you pull too much current from it, it can shutdown,
the APM reboots in the air, and the plane flies away or crashes.

I think there may be another way to handle this without creating a separate power bus
but you should double check that this is possible in the APM forum over at diydrones.
Just remove the power lead from the APM's power module (don't power APM
with it), and use a quality 5A BEC to power both the APM and the servos.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Feb 21, 2013 at 05:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:33 PM
United States, CA, Lemoore
Joined Nov 2008
494 Posts
Quote:
again i understand what you are saying and agree with you.

My point is to the classic post of adding a 2nd power source for the servos. why would i add a 2nd power source for the servos if that wont make a difference in case flight controller goes bad.
You see what i mean????
I don't. Overloading the flight controller with servo demands is what will down your plane. So you need to power the servos some other way to avoid putting too much current through your flight controller. Your not adding a second power source, you are using the ONLY reasonable power source by using a separate BEC.
Svede is offline Find More Posts by Svede
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SeaBull, now with Phobotic CP
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:51 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,660 Posts
Note also (this is 2nd hand info so ask in the APM forum for details), the APM
module already has two separate power buses. The one that you normally
connect to the ESC and servos driving the flight controls is isolated, and usually powered
by the ESC's BEC. The other bus is connected to the Rx, and is shared with
the APM's internal power. If there are any extra servos there (like pan & tilt,
or other flight controls which are not managed by APM) then they're
being powered off the power module, and that's why it fails.

More info here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post23757022

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Feb 21, 2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:15 PM
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Oct 2006
461 Posts
thxs guys that clarifies my questions, also thxs for the bus idea
jaas75 is offline Find More Posts by jaas75
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:29 AM
United States, MD, Bel Air
Joined Oct 2010
177 Posts
Quote:
thxs guys that clarifies my questions, also thxs for the bus idea
I second the explanations about "why" you need a separate BEC for the APM. It is not for redundancy.
I have a APM 2.5 and I don't use the Power module they sell with it. But I power the input side with a high quality BEC and power the output rail with another bec. This way, the APM gets a clean power supply and the servos, receiver etc, gets their own supply. remove JP1 of course

Who knows if something else will bite me... just doing what seems right at this point.
harfordhawk is offline Find More Posts by harfordhawk
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:16 AM
Joined Mar 2013
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFocus View Post
- I've also heard of, and see youtube of examples where having a buddy with a plane can also help as it is sometimes easier to spot a downed pane from the air.
Go ask someone at that airport if they will take you up to look for your plane, tell em you'll chip in for gas.

Hell if the cub is back in action this weekend (in shop for annual inspection) i'll fly up there from NC and look for it

BTW I just got a plane back that had been in a tree for two weeks. New battery and replace one servo, presto its flying again
dell30rb is offline Find More Posts by dell30rb
Old Apr 26, 2013, 03:18 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,644 Posts
And consider using only high quality UBEC to power the servos/Rx, like a Castle Creations unit, for these 4-figure planes. And never the ESC BEC.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Jan 05, 2014, 07:26 PM
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Jan 2013
243 Posts
I am looking for a Lost Model Alarm that is self powered. Ideally it could leech power from the main battery through the servo connection to the receiver, it the main lipo is still connected after the crash then the alarm would be powered that way. If the main lipo is ejected on impact the alarm unit's own battery will still squeal the buzzer when it is supposed to. Anyone know of a device like this?
teamhairball is offline Find More Posts by teamhairball
Old Jan 07, 2014, 07:55 AM
United States, OH, Norton
Joined Aug 2013
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.braswell View Post
I ran into this link googling last night (while simultaneously crying into my beer). Is this better / more reliable than a GPS/GSM solution in your opinion? Do you have any first hand war stories of using this to find a downed plane? I guess theoretically if you had a last known lat / long position via your recorded video down link that would get you in the ball park and this thing would get you pin pointed. I guess the scenario that gives me pause is if you're high up and get a video failure. The search radius could be large. The GSM/GPS solution in theory would give your lat / long where you land as opposed to having to home in with the radio beacon.
Peter... I lost a Skywalker 1900 CF out about 7 miles. I had a FMKit beacon, a lost plane finder audible alarm and recorded video. I was up about 1400' AGL and the plane began flying very erratic, wings dipping to either side. I lost video about 1100' AGL since I was so far out. From my video, I got the last lat/lon and went searching with my 70cm radio. My wife and I spent about 8 hours driving the course it should have taken on it's RTH trip, all around it in a grid, etc... My oldest daughter and I even hiked the RTH trip path from start to finish, through woods, farm fields, etc... no joy. Not once heard from the beacon either.

1 week later we got the plane back, it crashed beside a lady's barn exactly 428' from the last lat/lon that we had from the video. It was in a residential area though and we looked high and low, asking permission to enter peoples back yards and such. We just didn't see it, it was hidden between some trees, barn and other buildings. Upon inspection, the only thing that could have happened that I can think of was a battery came loose during flight (not disconnected) and shifted the CG far aft. I found the lost plane alarm (audible) disconnected, as was the RX. The batteries were severely damaged, none left plugged in. On my RF beacon, the separate RF beacon batter was thrown out of the plane when it impacted a tree and the RF beacon along with my motor (only two things there) were hanging in a tree!

So... my backup video failed me, my RF beacon failed me and my audible beacon (to get someone's attention close by, hopefully) failed me. No matter how much we do, we can still loose a plane :-)

A GSM/GPS can fail also. Upon impact, it could be severely damaged, it could be buried in deep brush and not get a GPS lock or cell signal, it could land flipped upside down, i.e. the GPS antenna facing the ground. So, it is not a sure fire thing either!

Now... I today, my larger airplanes I do fly with a GSM/GPS tracker :-) I figure the more things onboard to help me find a lost plane, the better the chance but nothing is sure fire. Oh, also I am thinking of making a self-contained case that is pretty impact resistant to house the RF beacon, i.e. upon crashing the battery and beacon would't be separated.

EDIT: Just noticed this was an old thread resurrected, oh well.
jcowgar is offline Find More Posts by jcowgar
Old Jan 07, 2014, 04:54 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
764 Posts
I too have just picked up on this thread. What I NEED to know, above all else is, did you ever get this baby back??
I lost a plane on my very first fpv trip which resulted in a 6hr tramp up to my knees at times in bog.
I ran out of time and had to return 5hrs later but it gave me time to formulate a plan.
I brought back my old trusty HZ supercub and flew grid patterns with a keychain cam onboard. After each 10 mins worth of filming I scoured the vid on my laptop and on the very last trip I spotted it not more than 200yrds away-was convinced it far further away!!
drambuidhe is online now Find More Posts by drambuidhe
Old Jan 08, 2014, 06:25 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Apr 2008
156 Posts
Hi Drambuidhe,
Sad to report that no, the plane was never recovered! It's been almost 1.5 years and I've definitely moved on. I've got another Penguin in the shop that needs to be built but I've been flying a Super Sky Surfer. Not terribly fast, but a really nice, stable platform. I've adopted a rigorous ground checklist, recorded on-screen GPS coordinates and I still use the APM. My range problems seemed to have come from RFI radiating from my Minim OSD. Wrapping that guy in copper foil cut down the RFI tremendously. I've also switched from the Dragon link UHF to EZUHF. I can't say anything bad about the Dragon Link but I do like the EZUHF set up (easy!) and their tools. That's how I found the RFI. I regularly fly out 2-3 miles but haven't really had the stomach to push much farther.

Best,
Peter
peter.braswell is offline Find More Posts by peter.braswell
Old Jan 08, 2014, 06:59 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.braswell View Post
Hi Drambuidhe,
Sad to report that no, the plane was never recovered! It's been almost 1.5 years and I've definitely moved on. I've got another Penguin in the shop that needs to be built but I've been flying a Super Sky Surfer. Not terribly fast, but a really nice, stable platform. I've adopted a rigorous ground checklist, recorded on-screen GPS coordinates and I still use the APM. My range problems seemed to have come from RFI radiating from my Minim OSD. Wrapping that guy in copper foil cut down the RFI tremendously. I've also switched from the Dragon link UHF to EZUHF. I can't say anything bad about the Dragon Link but I do like the EZUHF set up (easy!) and their tools. That's how I found the RFI. I regularly fly out 2-3 miles but haven't really had the stomach to push much farther.

Best,
Peter
Shame hey? Interesting that you have the SSS I've been reading all the posts on the thread and am very tempted. It seems good value and what a size hey!
I'm having difficulty in finding a UK supplier though.
hopefully , if you are still overflying the crash zone , you'll see it on your recordings one of these days hey!!
drambuidhe is online now Find More Posts by drambuidhe