SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:08 AM
Broughty Ferry, Dundee, Scotland
Joined Feb 2006
127 Posts
I have successfully fitted an Eurgle into one of my IOM's and doubled the speed by setting the primary sheeting in a 1:2 ratio using a 'floating' single block. Yes, the stall load at the running sheet is halved, but the winch servo is capable of use as long as the end stops are properly set up on the transmitter.

R
isisagoodun is offline Find More Posts by isisagoodun
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:33 PM
Love RC Yachts!!!
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2012
163 Posts
Awesome! Got any pics of the layout?

So i assume no problems in higher wind strengths?

I've seen an Eurgle fitted with the drum above deck, and sealed to it via an o ring between the two. It was on an experimental boat that Jeff Byerley (Mirage Radio Yachts) built.....
bigpat is offline Find More Posts by bigpat
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:23 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpat View Post
Awesome! Got any pics of the layout?

So i assume no problems in higher wind strengths?

I've seen an Eurgle fitted with the drum above deck, and sealed to it via an o ring between the two. It was on an experimental boat that Jeff Byerley (Mirage Radio Yachts) built.....
Hi Pat,
Please tell me why we in Australian's are so fixated with mounting the winch above the deck?
I have only owned 1 Aussie design and built and that was in front of the bulk heah and under the deck, all three other designs I have had are UK designs and have the winch under the deck.

Mike
8387mike is online now Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:00 PM
Boomboom124
Joined Feb 2013
27 Posts
Alternative

There will, shortly, be a new sailwinch launched that will rival the RMG.
For considerably less money and and very similar performance. Not one of the clones either! Something totally different.
Keep your ear to the ground everyone!
boomboom124 is offline Find More Posts by boomboom124
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:18 PM
Love RC Yachts!!!
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2012
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
Hi Pat,
Please tell me why we in Australian's are so fixated with mounting the winch above the deck?
I have only owned 1 Aussie design and built and that was in front of the bulk heah and under the deck, all three other designs I have had are UK designs and have the winch under the deck.

Mike
It is mainly for ease of access to the sheets and drivelines, in case of replacement in a hurry. SailsEtc bosts for exame require removalnof deck patches to do this.

Also if a winch casnge is necessary, the drum and drivelines are left undisturbed. With such a layout, i have been able to change a winch and be ready to sail in 5-6 minutes.

With winches inside the foredeck, everything is much harder. I've had to redo drivelines on a BritPOP!, and its fiddly work ( especially with fat fingers!).

Lastly i think the skiff deck style is an aussie signature so to speak, since the TS -2 days, and the fact it makes the boats look more like a full size yacht....
bigpat is offline Find More Posts by bigpat