SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:10 AM
Joined Nov 2012
26 Posts
Discussion
IOM sail winch

Im looking for a mid range sail winch (drum) which wont break my student bank account, so something other than an RMG but with good reliability and performance.

Im currently building my first one metre, a SKA from Brad Gibson, im new to rc sail and havnt even seen a IOM for real yet. That said I need a winch that is fast enough for a newbie when competing with the view that I can upgrade if I get more serious.

Interest in exploring converting a generic heavy duty servo if it wasnt too complicated but it seems it is.
Barbera_Banker is offline Find More Posts by Barbera_Banker
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:59 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
There are some very strong lever arm type servos out there that you might want to consider http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml...tId=0000006203 Your sheeting would be much simpler than with a drum set up and the specifications make it look to have ample torque to handle the conditions, as well as being faster than any drum winch.
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:37 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
850 Posts
I would always recommend an RMG winch but as you say your funds cannot go that far so I think this is your next best option.
http://www.mxcomponents.com/en/winch...300-winch.html
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:55 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,100 Posts
Vigor
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18744
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:30 AM
gp.
gp
South Aust.
Joined Aug 2006
56 Posts
I have a Hitec HS785HB in my IOM which is hitting the water for the first time Saturday,if the weather holds out,other members are using or have used this before in their boats.
Have a great day
gp. is offline Find More Posts by gp.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:45 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp. View Post
I have a Hitec HS785HB in my IOM which is hitting the water for the first time Saturday,if the weather holds out,other members are using or have used this before in their boats.
Have a great day
Hey gp, where about's in Sth Aust you sail?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:14 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
gosh Mike, that's another brand of Eurgle no way would I recommend them.
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:17 PM
Canada, BC, Lake Cowichan
Joined Jul 2011
491 Posts
As an RMG is out of your budget and you want speed and reliability, then the Hitec 815 arm winch servo is a great way to go. The 815 gives 140 degrees of movement out of the box. It is heavier than most servos (about the same as an RMG) but is strong and robust. It can be bought for $35 to $45. If your budget will go double, then a good digital servo like the HS7955 set to 180 degrees will work well and is much lighter than the 815.

The HS785 drum servo will work, but is too slow for competition use.

John
hiljoball is online now Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:27 PM
dusty bible = dirty life
Oklahoma City OK USA Where fakts still exist even if they are ignored
Joined Aug 2000
2,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljoball View Post
The HS785 drum servo will work, but is too slow for competition use.

John
Pardon me, I'm not a full blown sailing geek but I do have an older Kyosho boat and I've been a 1:1 sailor for 40+ years.

I just purchased a HS 785 for use in an RC blimp. How fast is fast enough for competition. My HS goes three turn stop to stop just about as fast as I can move the stick on the transmitter!

Honestly, I'm asking what kind of speed are you looking for?
Majortomski is offline Find More Posts by Majortomski
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:38 PM
Canada, BC, Lake Cowichan
Joined Jul 2011
491 Posts
An RMG drum and an arm winch can go full in to full out in about 1 second.

With a fast winch, sail response is instantaneous. With a slow winch, I am always chasing the right setting - overrunning and pulling back.

A fast winch can always be moved slowly (by the stick), but a slow winch is always slow.

Try the 785 as you have one. You can always upgrade to an RMG later -I have a Star 45 and two mounting board, one for the 785 and one for an RMG - it is an easy switch as the internal lines just transfer to the other drum.

Switching between a drum and an arm setup is harder as the internal setup and winch placement may have to change.

John
hiljoball is online now Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:18 PM
Joined May 2005
14 Posts
I had a 785 in my iom which I inherited when I bought the bought, I thought nothing of it until the wind blew a little and the main took ages to pull in at the lee ward mark, the other boats raced past me each time as they could haul in a lot quicker.

I change to an RMG and the difference is amazing and I don't lose places anymore at the leeward mark. There is also no way I could flick the boom over on a down wind leg as you would wait for ages for the winch to pull in, with the RMG it flicks so quickly and again gives me an edge.

So yes the 785 is very slow when you are competing get some air in the sails and you'll notice the difference.

Steve
stevo_m is offline Find More Posts by stevo_m
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:52 PM
Joined Nov 2012
26 Posts
Sail servo

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, it seems there is no real alternative to the RMG. If the HS715 is too slow for competition point blank then there is no point in using it.

For the money would I be better going for a powerful arm winch?

If so how much torque do i need? I understand a drum winch can have less torque as the sheet attachment point on the drum is closer is that correct?

Barbera,
Barbera_Banker is offline Find More Posts by Barbera_Banker
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:28 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniGe23 View Post
gosh Mike, that's another brand of Eurgle no way would I recommend them.
Its a bit hit and miss with them, I've put about 5 into second hand boats and only ever had one stuff up.

They did mention at the start od the thread that they wanted a cheap winch.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:37 AM
Love RC Yachts!!!
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2012
163 Posts
If no RMG, then I would say the Eurgle drum winch, but make sure its the high torque rather than higher speed version. I know a friend who almost won a 10R national title with one, and it blew hard through the series.

Therefore, I think an Eurgle should cope with an IOM.... Maybe run a smaller sheeting radius ( boom pick up point closer to the pivot point) would help increase speed . Just make sure that you have a spare, and use a voltage regulator if using battery packs greater than 6 volts...

Arm winches suffer when you are being overpressed. Quite often they don't have the torque to gybe sails. Graham Bantock used a large wheel on the servo to help it, but even he has gone back to RMG's...The good arm servos are half the price of an RMG, so if blow 2 up, you've lost out...
bigpat is offline Find More Posts by bigpat
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:46 AM
gp.
gp
South Aust.
Joined Aug 2006
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
Hey gp, where about's in Sth Aust you sail?
Paris Creek
http://www.sehills.saradioyachting.org.au/index.html
Have a great day
gp. is offline Find More Posts by gp.