SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:53 PM
Ivan Dubrov
United States, CA, Redwood City
Joined May 2009
14 Posts
Question
Trim vs regular covering

What are the advantages of a trim covering material versus a regular covering for the detailing purposes? Is it easiness of application? Easiness of cutting? Anything else?

I imagine that in certain cases I can attach a regular covering instead of trim (for example, a wide stripes) without much hassle. Also, based on my limited covering experience, it probably would hold better (I used MonoKote trims and they slightly came off in corners).
WFrag is offline Find More Posts by WFrag
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:25 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,249 Posts
I prefer iron-on for trimming.. mainly because it usually won't peal.. ever.. the corners don't lift.. at all. In the case of an electric plane stick-on is fine.. but if theres oil involved, my experience says iron it on.

There is some advantage in the the Trimkote is easier to handle for cutting.. but thats generally something that can be overcome.. as the iron-on is much thinner..and is a bit trickier to handle.. but once learned.. theres some cool stuff that can be done with iron on.. I do use sticky on a few places.. and for quick work.. for sure its handy.. but in the long haul.. the iron-on is the stuff.. in my experience... and I've been laying Monokote down for 35yrs... With that said.. there's also several tricks to laying down Trimkote.. and getting it perfect.. and that can absolutely be done as well.. One advantage to Trimkote is it won't leave as many noticable bubbles.. and its easier to smooth them out when you apply Trimkote "wet".. yes wet... more on that later if you're interested... anyways...

Heres an example of what you can do with iron-on Monokote.. and yes.. this is all Monokote brand iron-on, hand cut, and applied by me..
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Last edited by DGrant; Feb 18, 2013 at 11:37 PM.