HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:58 PM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,453 Posts
Question
How to charge NiMH AA batteries with 'regular' balance charger?

Anyone know how to charge NiMH AA batteries on a 'standard 4 button' balance charger? The batteries are rated at 2000mah. I have put them in a 4xAA holder and soldered on banana clips, changed the battery type on my charger to NiMH.

It seems that there is nowhere to enter the number of cells, or even the voltage. There is a discharge program and a cycle program, but the charge program appears to be 'manual', and the options looks like this:

NiMH CHARGE Man
CURRENT 0.4A

I have a Venom and a Thunder charger, but the options are identical. Is it possible to charge AA NiMH batteries with these chargers? One at a time? 4 or more at a time in series? Thanks for any help.
stevea3342 is offline Find More Posts by stevea3342
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:27 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
You only set max charge current with nimh. That's all you need. Press + and - at the same time to switch to auto which will be peak detect charging.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:03 AM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Sep 2012
382 Posts
If you are going to fast charge then you need to have thermometer to monitor the batteries. My B6AC+ has a thermometer and I use the following settings on my 6v 2700 mah flight pack.

Current = 1.6 amps
delta v = 5 mV
Temp cutoff = 40C

thats after the pack has been used before. For a first time charge use a 1/10th C charge rate for 16 hours. After that feel free to fast charge or slow charge as you see fit.
btown2 is offline Find More Posts by btown2
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:31 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
You only set max charge current with nimh. That's all you need. Press + and - at the same time to switch to auto which will be peak detect charging.
Exactly ....

And don't worry that amps charge rate will often NOT be what you set ... what you set is the MAX amps allowed if pack is near fully discharged ... part discharged means charger will not reach that max rate ..

I use my B6 often for NiMH charging ... even for topping up Tx / Rx packs when away for long sessions ....

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:56 AM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
I tried pressing the + and - at the same time, but it appears that this doesn't work on either of my chargers, even if I tried holding them down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btown2 View Post
If you are going to fast charge then you need to have thermometer to monitor the batteries. My B6AC+ has a thermometer and I use the following settings on my 6v 2700 mah flight pack.

Current = 1.6 amps
delta v = 5 mV
Temp cutoff = 40C

thats after the pack has been used before. For a first time charge use a 1/10th C charge rate for 16 hours. After that feel free to fast charge or slow charge as you see fit.
I have a temperature probe, but I have not found anywhere to set delta v. I think I'm still back where I started - with only the ability to set amps for NiMH. But I'm still not sure if that is sufficient? Or if this is all I need, I'm not sure what to set the mah for.

These are my chargers:

stevea3342 is offline Find More Posts by stevea3342
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:04 AM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Sep 2012
382 Posts
On my charger I have to back out of the NIMH program and go to the settings menu to set things like delta V and temperature. On the NIMH program I can only set amperage.
btown2 is offline Find More Posts by btown2
Old Mar 20, 2013, 09:48 PM
Joined Jan 2013
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by btown2 View Post

Current = 1.6 amps
delta v = 5 mV
Temp cutoff = 40C

This is a REALLY stupid question, but hey, they're my specialty...

I have an AC6 w/ a temp probe, too. I get how to use it as far as the settings and connections go, but, well... do you just set the probe on top of the battery? Tape it on? Any particular spot on the battery?

Flame away... I can take it...

Barry
musechaserpilot is offline Find More Posts by musechaserpilot
Old Mar 21, 2013, 02:12 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by musechaserpilot View Post
do you just set the probe on top of the battery? Tape it on? Any particular spot on the battery?
I typically use either tape or a rubber band to hold the temperature sensor firmly against the side of one of the cells. I usually set temp cutoff at ~105F as I would prefer to terminate a little early rather than allow my NiMH cells to be subject to potential overheating.

It's important to note that NiMH packs must be properly balanced prior to attempting to charge via high rate peak detection. Initial charge must be performed at a very low rate for an extended period of time to avoid possible cell damage. I recommend 100mA or less for AA cells for initial charge and periodic maintenance equalization charge.

Mark
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2013, 09:01 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,109 Posts
Under "user set program" is where you will find the temp and Delta V settings.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Mar 21, 2013, 09:52 AM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver

I tried pressing the + and - at the same time, but it appears that this doesn't work on either of my chargers, even if I tried holding them down.

When in the Nimh program you have to change the "MAN" to "AUTO" setting (hold down the + and - ) when the current (amps) setting is blinking.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:39 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacx View Post
[COLOR="Magenta"]When in the Nimh program you have to change the "MAN" to "AUTO" setting (hold down the + and - ) when the current (amps) setting is blinking.
I don't recall that but I don't charge nimh with my charger too often. Not every 4 button charger is exactly the same though either.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver