HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:36 PM
Joined Apr 2006
177 Posts
Discussion
Gentle Lady build - help needed

Building the Gentle Lady wing, right inboard panel, the directions say to "position 1/8" ply spar brace in front slots but dont glue. See image attached of page 6 of the recent issue manual.

This is the step I am on, and dont know if I should be looking for a laser cut piece or if this is a piece of scrap. What is the purpose of this step?

Name: gentle lady.jpg
Views: 111
Size: 101.6 KB
Description: page from manual

clicking on the image will enlarge the page...

- it appears to be temporary use of the piece of wood, but the ribs 6 and 7 are already glued in place so dont need to have their position held..
rwpeek is offline Find More Posts by rwpeek
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:23 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
I remember that piece. It's kind of a half teardrop shape and was laser cut in my kit a few years back. I've built 2 GL's and both had them. I believe it's for spar support but kind of a weird spot for it. Anyway they get glued into place eventually.
jwhitacre is online now Find More Posts by jwhitacre
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:40 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
It's a brace that will be glued into place later. They have you install it at this point because you wouldn't be able to get it into place later. It's kind of a strange way of doing it but it does work.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:47 PM
Joined Apr 2006
177 Posts
Those comments help a lot, because I know to search for it in the kit and that is is used later- put in place now because for some reason it cannot be positioned later.

It's odd, because all the following pictures don't show it - it disappeared, and I still haven't found any reference to it later - in words or pictures.

I'll just keep rereading the instructions until I figure it out or someonesheds more light.

The Gentle Lady Kit is truly remarkable - very well designed, great laser cut pieces, but I find the documentation could be more detailed. There is a lot of thought process to figure out what to do in some places. And because it is not detailed, it is easy to make a mistake that would need time and materials to correct.

I am still trying to figure out how this piece is used and I'll post the answer whan and if I find it. Meanwhile if someone knows, please advise!
rwpeek is offline Find More Posts by rwpeek
Last edited by rwpeek; Feb 18, 2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:30 PM
Joined Apr 2005
395 Posts
The spar braces are in the 1/8" ply sheet (sheet 6009) shown on page 4 of the instructions. One is simply labeled 'brace' and there is another one in the same sheet. The Gentle Lady is definitely a favorite of a friend of mine and it is a very nice floater.
HIR/Cer is offline Find More Posts by HIR/Cer
Old Feb 13, 2014, 07:31 PM
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Dec 2013
27 Posts
Glad this post was here as I was just scratching my head over this. I found the pieces on my own but wasn't sure about the orientation of the piece. Think I have it now. I look forward to finishing but the cold weather has a long way to go before it's sailing time any way.
Cbed90 is offline Find More Posts by Cbed90