HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2001, 01:08 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,587 Posts
pica 1/12 scale info

Has anybody built the 1/12 scale cobmat models from pica, if so could u give me your views on the(
(how well they fly, what set up you use). Any pictures would also be great. The corsair is the one
i am thinking of building so info on this one would be even greater.

thank you.

(ps could i fly the corsair easily in a medium sized park)
stuart warne is offline Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: JR P-38 take 2.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2001, 03:49 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Stuart, I recently finished a Pica FW190A. You can see what I think about it on my web page here:
http://personal.rdu.bellsouth.net/rd...od/FW190A.html

Generally the Pica kits are very heavy for electric conversions so you should lighten it as much as possible. Fortunately the Corsair kit has more wing area than the rest of the 1/12 models so that could work in your favor.

You should not plan on flying one of these in a park as you will need a lot of room due to the high flying speed. My FW190 will traverse even my club field, which has probably 100 acres, within a few seconds.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Nov 24, 2001, 05:33 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,587 Posts
Thank you Gerald, nice model. Maybe i should look at the Jim Ryann Corsair then.
stuart warne is offline Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: JR P-38 take 2.
Old Apr 21, 2003, 08:13 AM
RC Pilot Extraordinaire
Lawrenceburg, KY
Joined Apr 2003
237 Posts
You can view my review at www.picaweb.com on the Twin Mustang. I should have the review for the Mustang P-51B in about a month or so. The combat models are so simple to build that the plans aren't even full scale. I didn't build that first piece on the plans.
Gastronom is offline Find More Posts by Gastronom
Old Apr 22, 2003, 12:34 AM
North Central Texas
Joined Feb 2002
73 Posts
Stuart,
My son and I are building the P-51D (full blown combat model, not electric version). We really love the laser lock system that they have, everything goes together so nicely, makes for a quick build (or would, if my son had more time to work on it). Are you stuck on 1/12th scale? That new 1/8th scale Corsair that Pica has, would be really cool. One of the other members here, Kelvin, has a Kyosho Spitfire ARF he put a brushless and gearbox in, with retracts and he flys around scale speed on 1/2 throttle! You could do something like that, get 5+ minutes of flying time and have a really cool plane, cheap. I will let you know how are P-51D does, if you like. We are going to try it on a 3.5:1 gear box and a cobalt 400 with 9 or 10 CP1300s.
thrustmiester is offline Find More Posts by thrustmiester
Last edited by thrustmiester; Apr 22, 2003 at 12:37 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2003, 07:20 AM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Pica F4U

stuart: I flew the Pica Corsair with an Astro flight 05G and 8 large cells. (2000's I think). I lost it in a mishap, but it flew very well with no bad habits. It is a short coupled little beast and tended to "waddle" in any turbulence. I built it stock other than no landing gear parts. Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old Apr 22, 2003, 11:40 AM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
264 Posts
Hi Everyone

Since you asked, I will add my two cents worth in regards to the Pica 1/12 scale electric kits.

I am presently building a 1/12 scale P51 Mustang and have been quite disappointed for several reasons. These include:

1) To call it scale, or even stand off scale would be very extremely generous.
2) The laser lock system is great for quick assembly provided the wood used in construction is flat and true. Mine was not and trying to fix this problem with all pieces inter-joining together has not been fun. (Iíve got a wing and fuselage twist that will not go away.)
3) The plans and in particular the blue prints are not very good. An example of this has one view showing the rubber pushrod exiting the fuselage on the starboard side; another view shows it exiting on the port side. (This caused quite a problem.)
4) The top of fuselage is a one piece plastic, which does not fit well, requires a large amount of trimming (no detail outline as to just how much to cut) and Iím not looking forward to the problem of covering this with monocote, having to use a iron and yet not melting the plastic underneath.

This is the fourth kit that Iíve put together so I am not either a beginner or expert and if you do a search for others who have assembled this kit you will find that they have not mentioned any of the problems that I have encountered. So it may be just me, but that is my opinion of the kit and it will probably be the last I buy from them
Jim Connell is offline Find More Posts by Jim Connell
Old Apr 22, 2003, 11:43 AM
RC Pilot Extraordinaire
Lawrenceburg, KY
Joined Apr 2003
237 Posts
On the plastic turtledeck, go ahead and monokote your fuse and then use RC-560 canopy glue to bond it to the monokote. It glues very nicely if you use the canopy glue.
Old Apr 22, 2003, 11:44 AM
RC Pilot Extraordinaire
Lawrenceburg, KY
Joined Apr 2003
237 Posts
My BAD, that one is built up, here check this one out, the Twin Mustang uses the same technology.
Last edited by Gastronom; Apr 22, 2003 at 11:46 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2003, 07:08 PM
Berkeley,CA
Joined Nov 2002
14 Posts
Pica P51 D

I am currently building one and converting from gas to E. I also think the instructions and plans are just average but they can be followed. I don't care for the plastic turtle deck which goes the entire length of fuse - tough to trim(trial and error) and tough to fit so it looks good. I painted mine because the iron will melt it. The bottom where the oil cooler? is supposed to be is also just plastic and I will probably leave this off.
The interlocking parts are good but all in all I wouldn't buy another.
Regards,
Jim
jcap is offline Find More Posts by jcap