HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:08 PM
United States, CO, Castle Rock
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
Discussion
Weekend EDF Fun

I trashed a bandit prototype on Saturday. Actually, Saturday overall was just one of those days....

So in my frustration..... Saturday night I cut the rear section off an old scratch build, stole a wing I previously cut for another project, then arbitrarily threw this together. (I had to remake the entire fuselage from the wing forward). EDF can be removed but I need to install magnets on the hatch.

My goal was to make an easy "take anywhere" flyer.

WS 51 inches
Length 48 inches

Power Set up:
3s 2200 (gens ace and sky lipo)
40 AM esc
64mm Fan
4300 Motor
4 Servos
FlySky 2.4 Tx/Rx

I took it out by myself today so I will have to wait to post a flight vid.

With the high mounted edf aft of the wing there is the nose down pitch/tendency at take off. So a hand launch was "easily" achieved at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. (Dont ask me how I learned this in the past )

It climbs easily and beautifully at this throttle speed. WOT she really moves and can push vertical for a short stint. I fly at about 6700 ft (Colorado) so I'd say thats not too bad for such thin air. I don't know fast it moves but its fast enough that I feel more comfortable at 1/2 throttle.

Loops easily.... I did not try any rolls. Stall characteristics are good and she floats down nice when power is cut.

Winds were very hight today (~20mph). It handled the wind well but definitely bounced around in all the turbulence. So it wasn't the most relaxing flight.

It still needs a bit of nose weight (I added 2 oz of lead that seemed to help). Really takes her time to come down...

I'll add some wbpu and figure out a paint scheme.

Flight vid to come later... apologies for the field iPhone pics....
bamiller is offline Find More Posts by bamiller
Last edited by bamiller; Feb 18, 2013 at 02:09 PM. Reason: forgot attachments...
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:03 PM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,408 Posts
ONE NICE BIRD I have build lot's with fan on top 30''in to 10'ft they all fly great. keep up good work
space 1 is offline Find More Posts by space 1