SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2004, 11:17 AM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Wind_of_Change

EXCELLENT work there. I like the looks of it going away from you...it all looks good but i like how you see the center section as it travels away from you. I agree you really need the wing tips lite up this helps SOOOO Much in orientation.

MAL
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2004, 12:10 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,911 Posts
Did my maiden tonight of the glowire Unicorn setup. I could tell she's getting heavy, but it still flew awesome. If I had to do it again, I'd use less reinforcing tape on my plane and keep it as light as possible so I could add light wires without taking a performance hit. I'm not doing any combat yet, so it really wasn't that necessary.

I put a 480 motor on it for tonight's flight, with a 6x4 prop. Sounded really cool, much louder, but I felt like there was a performance decrease. Of course, with adding lights, changing both the motor and prop, there's no way for me to tell which variables are the cause.

The wires are easily removeable, so I'll pull them back off and do some flight tests in the day with the 480 and a couple different props to see how it performs with the extra power.

Now I just need a good windy day to try soaring with it. With the light winds I've flown in, it seems to have a lot of skidding yaw tendencies. Have any of you guys done slope soaring with the Unicorn? How does it perform?

Todd

Todd
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2004, 12:30 AM
Fiberglass dont bounce???
Zion, Il.
Joined Sep 2002
2,408 Posts
Todd, mess around with your C/G, if its not set in the right place it will fly as you discribe. Also because the glowwires and covering adds weight, you mite have to go up a cell or 2 in your battery pack. ...R... p.s. my Uni flys like its on rails, very point and shoot. My C/G is just shy of 10.5 in. and I am using a brushless motor also
RandyK1 is offline Find More Posts by RandyK1
Last edited by RandyK1; Jan 25, 2004 at 12:32 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 07:23 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,911 Posts
RandyK1,

Well, I burned out another Speed 400 motor on my Unicorn. Even the 7.2 V motor can't handle the juice.

So I caved and ordered the Mega 15/16/4 and Jeti 30. That motor can handle 25 amps, the controller can handle 30 and my 3S2P Lipo's can handle 24 amps, so I SHOULD be able to fly this thing in an "unlimited" fashion.

BTW, I added an ounce and a half to the nose, and that fixed my peel outs. Too dang cold to fly at night right now, so I pulled the light wires back off until it warms up a bit.

I love this plane so much, I simply can't believe it's gliding properties. And that WOOOSH sound it makes passing by unpowered at high speed. . . it's an elixir!

Todd
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2004, 07:27 PM
Your flyer is down...
Joined Jan 2004
101 Posts
Airhole is offline Find More Posts by Airhole
Old Jan 27, 2004, 08:32 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,911 Posts
Bwahahaha! You should be scared! This Unicorn will impale your kitty and leave nothing but a fur cloud and red smear on the ground!

And there will be weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth from the Airhole!

And Wind_of_Change will rejoice and fly off into the sky unchallenged!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2004, 12:17 AM
Zion, Il.
Joined Sep 2002
2,408 Posts
Wind_of_Change, Kitty Combat, sounds cool! Your gonna like your Mega 16/15/4, FUN, FUN, FUN!!! With the Mega and prop adapter on you mite be able to take some lead out of your nose. Got any pics of your new Uni. in the light?? ...R... p.s. Remember it's not cool to fly combat with bird's, but cats are another story
Last edited by RandyK1; Jan 28, 2004 at 12:20 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 03:59 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,911 Posts
Man, I fly with birds all the time. Not like I have a choice, we live on a migratory bird pathway. I flew with a big old heron today. I got up some speed, got above it, and cut my motor. I just sailed right down next to it and cruised with it for about 15 seconds. I was only about 10 feet away from it, and it didn't mind a bit. . . until I turned my motor back on WOT. . . then it cared. Started flapping wildly to get away.

Anyway, here's a top pic. bottom pic to follow in next post.

I love how clean it looks with the embedded push rods. Much nicer than having the servo arm out and control wire visible.

I still have to put on some accents with that metallic foil, just haven't figured out where yet.

Todd
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2004, 04:00 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,911 Posts
And the bottom. . .
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2004, 09:15 AM
Toronto, ON Canada
Joined Jul 2002
877 Posts
Looks Great! I have to try the "burried rods" thing on my next wing!
Helicool is offline Find More Posts by Helicool
Old Jan 28, 2004, 02:26 PM
Zion, Il.
Joined Sep 2002
2,408 Posts
Wind_of_Change, Looks great, did you have any problems covering?? I will not use Econokote ever again, what a pain in the *ss! The glue melt point and the film shrink point are way to close togeather. Next time I will use Ultrakote or Oracover. ...R...
Old Jan 28, 2004, 02:29 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,911 Posts
Thanks Helicool. I like how it turned out. I used to be a stunt kite flyer, but RC has replaced that hobby for me. I put the diamond shape on it to make the plane look more like a stunt kite, and to remind me of all the good times I had with kites. Carrying on with the Kite tradition. . . but with the ability to CONTROL THE WIND!!!

So far I've been controlling the gusts (speed 480), but this weekend I'll have control over gale force winds (Mega Brushless!!)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2004, 02:33 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,911 Posts
RandyK1,

The Ultracote (pearl blue) was awesome. The flourescent yellow monokote was a NIGHTMARE. I'm thinking about stripping it off and using the same flourescent yellow in Oracover. I will never use Monokote again. The only reason I did it (against the wise recommendations of board members) is because I wanted the color and it's the only brand that the local hobby shops carried in flourescent. Nobody carries oracover around here.

It flies great though, it's just wrinkly, and it doesn't stick to the foam. Even after I've heated and shrunk it, it just peels up. And I fully coated the wing with 77 before putting it on. The Ultracote lays on nicely and sticks.

Todd
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2004, 06:10 PM
Land of Entrapment
Joined Nov 2003
175 Posts
I just got my 9 volt RC kit in from www.elwirecheap.com. I plugged a 9V battery into it to bench test it and the only thing I get is a soft, high pitched whine from the inverter. Do these wires need to "warm up" first or are they instant on?
Fleg is offline Find More Posts by Fleg
Old Jan 29, 2004, 06:24 PM
American Fork, UT
Joined Dec 2001
159 Posts
Flor. Ultracote

Wind Of Change

Noticed you're in PG, I'm in Orem. Try HobbyTron or World Class, I've seen florescent yellow ultracoat at both stores. We should go flying sometime since you're so close, I am thinking of getting a Unicorn but haven't seen one fly yet.

-Jake
VortexOfPain is offline Find More Posts by VortexOfPain