Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:47 AM
Fiberglass dont bounce???
Zion, Il.
Joined Sep 2002
2,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dsam
using the 9.v inverter the brightness depends on several things one is the volts you put in it, so you can use a 11.1v 3 cell lithium and disregard the 9.v batt. save that weight.
Can you up the volts without burning anything out? Or do you have to use 9 volts for the 9 volt driver? ...R...
RandyK1 is offline Find More Posts by RandyK1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2004, 12:47 PM
ohio, youngstown
Joined Sep 2001
329 Posts
I use super bright helicopter lights, they are a high intensity LED type light you can find on ebay for trucks or Heli's, they are very light and are blinding if they shine in your eyes Plus they just plug into your RX so no extra battery is needed. I have then installed in my leading edge of my wing on my XE2 about 1/2 way out on the wing. I use one red and one Blue. and I use 2 glow sticks on the wing tips. I used the connectors that come with the glow sticks and sunk one in each corner of the wing tip so I can plug the end of the sticks in and get a half moon shape. the glow sticks last for several flights and for better orientation I cut the ends off 2 glow sticks and cleaned out the chemicals, these empty sticks just fit on my Lights so they glow with the lights and the lights still shine out of them into the sky. looks real cool and even I end up with a backup if something fails, (something i learned from flying Heli's at night) this adds almost no weight and I can turn them off daytime. all in all it adds about 10-15 grams less then 1/2 oz at night it looks like a starwars fighter.......I also have not noticed any reduction in flight times with lights on, I can get some pics if anyone is interested......

Jon
jschick is offline Find More Posts by jschick
Old Jan 13, 2004, 02:02 PM
GA
Joined Jun 2002
77 Posts
RandyK1
the 9.v inverter will handle around 12 to 13 volts so if you tap into your flight pack you should be fine. I haven't done this yet but as soon as I do I will post pic's and let you know how it works.
Dsam is offline Find More Posts by Dsam
Old Jan 13, 2004, 03:26 PM
Your flyer is down...
Joined Jan 2004
101 Posts
Quote:
.......I also have not noticed any reduction in flight times with lights on, I can get some pics if anyone is interested......
Uh... yes!!

I think it should go without saying that if someone has a cool idea for this stuff they should show it off.
Airhole is offline Find More Posts by Airhole
Old Jan 13, 2004, 04:39 PM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2003
1,744 Posts
This stuff is great!!

I had gotten some of those small screw-cap lights for my night flying a while back. They were too heavy for my taste, and they blinked. These elwires look like a great idea.

Is it doable to power direct off a 2s or 3s lipo pack, or do you have to carry extra 9V?? What are the weights of the systems for approx. 30-36" plane???

I'm moving away from gboxes into PJS outrunner b/less motors, and I'm thinking I can put some of these lights on the SX2 kit I'm expecting any day and still be able to pull off 3D at night without irritating the neighbors w/ engine noise (my field has 50ft clearance to nearest houses, plus we have a little freeway noise in the background that would be louder than the PJS anyways). I bet it would be so cool to do aerobatics after a pretending to work!!!

Johnny B.
Johnny B is offline Find More Posts by Johnny B
Old Jan 13, 2004, 04:52 PM
Zion, Il.
Joined Sep 2002
2,408 Posts
I just ordered mine ...R...
Old Jan 13, 2004, 05:26 PM
Your flyer is down...
Joined Jan 2004
101 Posts
I have a general question along this topic:

Whether it be LEDs or Glowire, how can any lighting system for a plane be triggered through the reciever? i.e. the lights are off until I throw a switch on my radio and activate them.

This is possible right?
Old Jan 13, 2004, 05:44 PM
Zion, Il.
Joined Sep 2002
2,408 Posts
Yup, it is very doible http://www.rc-flysoft.com/ there is a programable switch...R...
Old Jan 13, 2004, 05:50 PM
Your flyer is down...
Joined Jan 2004
101 Posts
Cool stuff! Thanks Randy!
Old Jan 13, 2004, 09:02 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,805 Posts
Anybody flying a plane at night with the lights turned off is just crazy! All the inverters I've seen have a power switch on them, so you just turn it on and then launch your plane.

I've been told that the wires themselves can handle upwards of 100 volts. But these inverters are designed with components for certain voltages. But my 9V inverter with the 11.1 V battery is fine, it doesn't really even get warm. They do make 12 V inverters that could probably handle a 4S1P 14.8 Voltage setup.

Both the Projeti and Slow Stick pics I posted at the beginning of this thread are powered by my systems 11.1 V 1500 mah Kokam 3S1P battery and the 9V inverter.

RandyK1,

I'm about halfway done building my Unicorn with EL wire. I'd be curious to see how you're going to mount your inverter/cables & run the wires on your plane.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2004, 09:32 PM
Zion, Il.
Joined Sep 2002
2,408 Posts
Wind_of_Change, What, now I have to plan things before I do them ?? What I was thinking about doing is running was runnung 1 wire (5ft) along the leading edge (top of wing) (aqua) and running the 2nd wire (5ft) just in front of the trailing edge (bottom of the wing) (yellow) just before the elevons. As for the invertor I was thinking about mounting in in the foam across from the rx, just like the rx but on the other side of the battery bay. I will have to look at everything when it gets here (Friday or Sat.). I am thinking about running the power wires under the covering so I can take off the EL wires for daytime flight. I just took all my covering off the wing and made my power connection (for the invertor)to my ESC power plug...R... p.s. you are going to love your Unicorn, not as fast as your projeti but it will float for ever
Last edited by RandyK1; Jan 13, 2004 at 09:38 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 09:57 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,805 Posts
RandyK1,

Sounds like a good plan. I like the idea of removeable wires, but it's a hassle taping those things on, then taking them off, then taping them on again. Ugh. I finally gave up on my Projeti and just taped them on good and tight.

I'm planning the same setup with the inverter across from the RX, but I'm probably going to tape the wires down with transparent tape good and hard (no drag, no flapping wires, no breaking the nice airflow). I'm going to run wires down the leading edge of each wing and around the entire winglet. I'm considering doing two strips as well out the back of the battery bay, wrapping them around the back edge inside the elevons, and running them back up the length of the top (maybe 6" apart). That way they won't break the airflow, they'll be in-line. And two colors on a plane like this look so nice.

I'm trying to pack all of my components forward (including servos) so I can run a 3S2P Lipo setup. Think that will work? That saves me some weight over the NimH and should allow for a permanent EL Wire setup.

I've got all the other electronics in. Once I get the Inverter and wires figured out, I'm ready to tape and cover. I'm doing flourescent yellow monokote on top, and dark blue pearl ultracote on the bottom.

This will be my first time using an iron with the mono/ultra cote products. I'm a little nervous about screwing up my perfect Unicorn. But tape is so dang ugly.

The risk is half the fun.

Todd
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2004, 10:23 PM
Zion, Il.
Joined Sep 2002
2,408 Posts
Wind_of_Change, Be carefull with your choises of coverings. I think the glue melt point is very close to the foam melt point on Monocote, I have been told (LHS) that the Ultracote isnt great for foam eather (I was going to use Ultracote) I guess you must have good tase because the colors you picked are the same colors I had picked when I was going to pay for my Ultracote The LHS owner told me that Econocote or Oracover works much better on foam. The glue melt point is lower on Oracover and Econocote and is WAY better to use on foam. I got 2 rolls of Econocote, a roll of brite yellow and a roll of black, I couldnt find any of the pearl blue in Econocote. So It will be brite yellow with black accents on top and black with brite yellow accents on the bottom. With the EL wires it should be very easy to see, Day or Night ...R...
Old Jan 13, 2004, 10:32 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,805 Posts
RandyK1,

Hmm, that's not good news.

Not your taste in colors. . . I mean the Monokote/Ultracote is not good news.

So here's my question. If you're going to spray 77 all over the plane, and then put Monocote or Ultracote on the plane, do you really need to iron it on? Isn't the 77 good enough to hold it on? I mean, that tape's being held on mostly by the 77 anyway, isn't it?

Todd
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2004, 10:52 PM
Zion, Il.
Joined Sep 2002
2,408 Posts
Yup, You need to iron it or it wont stick even with the 77. The tape is very sticky but you still have to use the 77 to make it stay. The key to using covering on a foam wing is to #1 take your time #2 try to only heat the covering enough to activate the glue on the covering and NOT to shrink the covering if possible. When you start to shrink the covering, you could start to warp your new wing. Once you warp part of your wing its very hard to get it out. Thats why you need to use a covering that has the lowest glue melt point. ...R...