HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2005, 03:29 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
I've just plugged that regulator into a battery and it appears to work :-) so off I went to http://www.thatscoolwire.com/ only to discover that the only postal service they offer to the UK costs $53 !
I've emailed them, maybe they'll know what everyone else uses...

Remus, have you got any photos yet?
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2005, 12:42 AM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2002
40 Posts
Robin,
Now that you asked here are some photos.

In the setup picture you can see from right to left (sorry, I lived in Israel for a while ;-) ... the motor, the two inverters stacked together, the ferrite beads that go to the el-wire that's on the fuselage and the 5V BEC that connects to the red mini deans connector. The dangling black connector on left connects to the el-wire on the wing.

The caps on the schematics are for noise filtering. The diode is for some sort of overvoltage protection but I'm not sure. You can probably find the use of it on that site. There are a couple of different schematics similar to this there. Ok, here is the reason:

"D1 is a general purpose 1N4001 diode, used as a feedback blocker. It steers any current that might be coming from the device under power around the regulator to prevent the regulator from being damaged. Such reverse currents usually occur when devices are powered down."

More info here: http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/vps.htm

Man, it's a bummer that they wand 53$ for shipping. Maybe you can talk to them to ship it regular mail or something.

Have fun,

remus
remus is offline Find More Posts by remus
Old Sep 14, 2005, 03:22 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
I had a look at the UK suppliers and the prices are astounding. Here's a sample that boasts about what good value it is:
http://www.surelight.com/content.php?categoryId=393

39.99 ($73) for an inverter and 6m of wire!
Wire is generally priced at 5-6 ($10) a meter.
The inverters aren't too bad, just the usual 1:$1 conversion :-(

Edit: actually, with the meters/feet conversion, the wire isn't far off the 1:$1 rate either...
Last edited by RobinBennett; Sep 14, 2005 at 03:27 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 01:56 AM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Wow, this thread died down quite a bit.

I was at the field in Chandler, AZ last week, and there were 4 slow sticks up all with glow wire on them. Man, I thought I was at a laser light show over at the plantarium! I was looking around to see if someone had some Pink Floyd going on a portable radio. (Man those were the days!)

In any case, I am ready to place a order for some of this stuff. Here in Arizona we have many nights where the wind is dead calm. So this is going to make me one very happy camper.

So it is confirmed that the 9v and 12v drivers are the same, and they can power 15 feet of wire NP. If that is the case then I am set with my 3s Lipo! I did hear someone at the field mention the use of two diodes in seires, but they said it was to lower the voltage a pinch from their 3s lipo, nothing about backfeeding. I would just make a nice little Y-adaptor, the same way I did for my truck (using 2 8 cell packs of sub-c cells in series) to power the inverter and the rest of the electronics.

Has anyone found the High Brightness to put out more RF interference than the regular stuff?
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Apr 01, 2012, 04:28 PM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
7,692 Posts
Does Polarity matter? I cant find anywhere which wire is positive or negative.
pecanpatch is online now Find More Posts by pecanpatch
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:59 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
EL wire uses high frequency AC, so there is no polarity.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 03:48 AM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
7,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinBennett View Post
EL wire uses high frequency AC, so there is no polarity.
After a 7 year absence in posts, I didnt really expect to get an answer, But thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:54 AM
United States, IL, Jefferson
Joined May 2012
9 Posts
Has there been any advancment in Glow Wire in the past few years? Any new vendors or products for applying to foamy planes?
boisebiker is offline Find More Posts by boisebiker
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:43 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
If you go to HK they have lots of choices with LED`s they are very bright small and light
I used some on my Projeti its just been so long ago i cannot remember which ones.

Regards
Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:05 PM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
7,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisebiker View Post
Has there been any advancment in Glow Wire in the past few years? Any new vendors or products for applying to foamy planes?
http://www.elwirepros.com/rc-and-hobby-kits.html