HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2004, 11:12 PM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Guy`s is there any threads showing how to do the Burried pushrod thingy? -- Mal
Mal, I'll look around for some pictures. I've done it several times and it was rather easy to do. I typically buried a section of pushrod sleeve in the foam or even simply ran the pushrod under the ultracote.

I had totally forgotten about using stuff like el or glowire. The few times that I have tried night flying was, um, intense as my night vision is rather poor. Too much smokin' in high school many many years ago
Matt
www.yourzagi.com
mtayl is offline Find More Posts by mtayl
Last edited by mtayl; Jan 30, 2004 at 11:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2004, 11:14 PM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
ah, found one. This is the easy way to do it. I did this on one of my zippers. I just cut a trench in the foam, shrank the ultracote, cut a slit, put the rod in then laid a small strip of ultracote over the cut. It worked great and never stuck.

Matt
www.yourzagi.com
mtayl is offline Find More Posts by mtayl
Old Jan 30, 2004, 11:50 PM
Land of Entrapment
Joined Nov 2003
175 Posts
I just wanted to get something out after re-reading some of my posts.
I wasn't try to put www.elwirecheap.com in a bad light by my original post. At first I was simply trying to troubleshoot the problem. My next posts were trying to fix the problem and possibly post a solution for others to read if they have the same problem later down the road. I had to send my kit back due to what I think is a bad inverter but I have recieved good customer support from www.elwirecheap.com and I highly doubt this was a fault of theirs.
I'll post an update when this is all said and done and I'm night flying.
Fleg is offline Find More Posts by Fleg
Old Jan 31, 2004, 01:14 AM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
I don`t think anyone thought otherwise. I know i didn`t.

Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Jan 31, 2004, 01:16 AM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
THANKS MATT!

I was wondering if i would be able to just use Music wire as you did. I can see having to use the Ultracoat top and bottom or something similiar.

Thanks
Agian

Mal
Old Feb 10, 2004, 12:20 PM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jun 2001
663 Posts
I found this thread a couple of days ago, and I must say that all of your planes look awesome with those lights on. I have desided to try it out myself. I have just ordered 2 inverters and 60 feet of El Wire. I have at least two planes that will be fitted with ligths - a ProJeti and a Zagi. I might even try it on my glider.

Do you install the inverter permanently in the planes or do you remove it when flying in daylight?
My plan is to only have the inverter installed in the plane when I'm flying with the lights on. I would like to save the extra weight when it is not needed.

I have ordered both a 9V and a 12V inverter. That way I have a setup for both 8 and 10 cells.
Frank B is offline Find More Posts by Frank B
Old Feb 10, 2004, 01:07 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,911 Posts
Frank B.

Cool!

I have the inverter removeable on my slow stick & projeti, but embedded in my Unicorn. I removed the outer case for the Unicorn inverter to save 1/4 oz weight, and just put in the inner workings. I also took off all the lead wires (to power) and excess glowwire lead wire cut it down to a 2" power wire with mini deans connecter that attaches directly to the plane's power (again to save weight). Then I rewired the lead wires/connectors coming off the inverter going to the flow wires so that they were only a couple of inches long as well. I saved about 3/4 oz just shortening all the wiring. That way I could the inverter it in the plane without much added weight, and put my wires on/off at will.

BTW, the little 9V inverter actually handles more voltage, it just makes the wires brighter. I'm putting 11.1 V through it and it works fine.

Post pics of your light setup when you're done! I'd love to see them.

Good luck!

Todd
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2004, 05:07 AM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jun 2001
663 Posts
Wind_of_Change,

Do you think that the 9V inverter will be able to handle 10 NiMH cells? That's 13.5V when they are fully charged.

According to the specifications the 9V inverter pulses at 3000 Hz, but the 12V inverter pulses at 3500 Hz so it should be brighter.

How much does the brightness drop at the end of a flight? I would hate to land a plane I can hardly see.

Another thought: Does your ProJeti illuminate the ground when you land it? How hard is it to get the height just right when landing? I imagine that it takes some practice.

I think I will start out with my glider (that's the one I am most familiar with). I will build some wire into the tips and then cover them with transparent red and green oracover so that the whole tip lights up. Something similar goes into the tail.

My ProJeti and Zagi will be next after some practice with the glider.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 09:52 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,911 Posts
FrankB,

The 9V inverter from elwirecheap is 3000hz, the 9V inverter from glowire.com is 3500hz. I've never used a 12V inverter, but if you're using 13.5 V you should go with 12 just to be safe.

You can of course use a normal 9V battery with either of the 9V inverters, if the extra weight won't affect your plane's performance.

Brightness drops a little at the end of flight, but not enough to affect landings because when you're landing you're usually closer to yourself than you are at full flight.

My projeti will illuminate snow when flying in the winter, but won't affect grass much.

Embedding them inside your wing should be cool. You may not get as clear an outline, but having the whole wing light up may improve visibility dramatically. Let us know how that goes!

Todd
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2004, 10:29 AM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jun 2001
663 Posts
I bought my stuff from elwirecheap. They are cheaper than glowire, especially with the 10% off (remember the coupon code "Nightflyer" - it is good until the end of february).

I thought about the extra 9V battery, but a rechargable one will last for only half an hour (I'm not bying alkalines). Also there's the extra weight.

I hope that my plan with the lights embedded in the tips will work. It would be great if it emits some diffuse light so that you cannot actually see the wire. Unfortunately I didn't order white wire, I guess that would have been the best, but I did order both green and red. Let's see how it works. I will try to keep the length of wire down to a minimum on the glider to get the brightest light. 3-4 feet should do it.

I don't have a digital camera, but many of the members in my club do, so I'm sure I will be able to get some pictures.

I can't wait to get started.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 11:26 AM
Fiberglass dont bounce???
Zion, Il.
Joined Sep 2002
2,408 Posts
In the wings will look cool and should be alot easier to see ...R...
RandyK1 is offline Find More Posts by RandyK1
Old Feb 11, 2004, 01:32 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
coooooool is a understatement.

Thats Just Awesome

MAl
Old Feb 11, 2004, 01:39 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,911 Posts
Woah, that's just cool RandyK1!

Does that plane have light wires in the fuse & rear wing surfaces? I'd love to see the whole plane!

Todd
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2004, 02:02 PM
TOO MUCH FUN!!
USA, SC, CAMPOBELLO
Joined Jun 2002
283 Posts
COOL

That is AWESOME!!!
Any more pic's?
billdad1 is offline Find More Posts by billdad1
Old Feb 11, 2004, 02:10 PM
Fiberglass dont bounce???
Zion, Il.
Joined Sep 2002
2,408 Posts
Well, it's not my plane, or even my pic. I grabbed it off of the glowire website. I thought it mite help to see what it looks like. Thats the only in-wing pic there was. It looks easy to do if your building or recovering a wing, I would think that you could do the stab. and elevator the same way. ...R...
RandyK1 is offline Find More Posts by RandyK1