Old Feb 03, 2004, 09:33 PM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by newracer
why do you need new cores? you sould strip it down and re-cover it
Justin made the same comment... and I don't disagree at all.... I just want to build it right.

I made the newbie mistake of using epoxy to try to smooth out and fill in the spar trench. WAY too much weight combined with some big mistake I made when balancing before covering. When you couple my inexperience in RC plane building with an offroad racing background... you are going to have a plane that can hit a brick wall and go through it (if it could fly with steel armor plating). I'm going to run these cores as hard as I can while I prep the new ones but ultimately.... I just want to build it right! Justin's design shouldn't be disgraced the way I did it....

I went into this build with the desire to learn... and learn I did! Now I want to do the awesome wing design some justice!
TwinSpar is offline Find More Posts by TwinSpar
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2004, 01:09 AM
Addicted to R/C
Fort Collins, Colorado
Joined Nov 2003
630 Posts
I used Elmers Probond to join the halves and fill the spar. It foams up when curing, is very light and very strong. I noticed on your earlier picts all the wide strapping tape, that adds a lot of weight too.
newracer is offline Find More Posts by newracer
Old Feb 04, 2004, 06:21 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Twin, just build it lighter this time. thinner strapping tape and some probond in the trench. You did a great job on #1, seemed to learn a lot not it's time to fly. Option 2 is to rebuild what you have then have two of them!!! One junker you can experiment with and the good one.
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Feb 04, 2004, 02:37 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
I have a question

I have my Battery Packs in Two rows of 5 like in the photo Below. Am i going to have to reconfigure them? This is something I REALLY do not want to do as right now they fit into the Projeti Very Nicley. I would like to make these work for both the "D" and My "P".

Question is
Is there enough foam that I can Bury the pack and if so do i go Cross wise or right down the center?

Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Feb 29, 2004, 08:06 PM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
The Re-"D"-do...

Only had to add 1/2 an oz to balance it this time. I'll weigh it tomorrow at the office but I can tell that it's a ton lighter. I still have to cover over the strapping tape from the elevons and wingtips.

Thanks to thechosen1 for helping with the battery bay!!! I can't wait to get this bird up in the air!

Weight sans Batteries is 17.5 oz.
Last edited by TwinSpar; Mar 01, 2004 at 12:35 PM.
Old Feb 29, 2004, 08:37 PM
Clinton, Maryland
Joined Oct 2002
426 Posts
Mal, how long is the pack? I think you might have to reconfigure. Sorry.
Tomegun is offline Find More Posts by Tomegun
Old Mar 06, 2004, 11:58 PM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
OMG!

What a difference!!! It took a couple of hits on the ground to get it setup right but DAMN!... this thing hauls. It's freaking scary how fast it eats up airspace compared to a stock Zagi. 1/4 throttle was completely leaving the stock Zagi behind in very little time. I was comfortable controlling the "D" at 1/2 throttle but limited WFO runs to straight flight.... I'm not experienced enough to control it WFO yet....

Smile factor is huge today!!! Much thanks to Justin and thechosen1!!!!
Old Mar 07, 2004, 01:55 AM
Do U Kno Who's Yur Daddy?
Don't let everybody know, otherwise Im dead D/FWTx
Joined Dec 2002
623 Posts
Leif, if you want, we will probly be up by home depot tomorrow flying. We were there most of the day today. You gotta get a load of my newest toy!! Give me a call if you want
thechosen1one is offline Find More Posts by thechosen1one
Old Mar 07, 2004, 11:45 AM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
Can't make it today. We've got a family birthday thing to go to. Thanks for the invite though.
Old Mar 07, 2004, 08:30 PM
Do U Kno Who's Yur Daddy?
Don't let everybody know, otherwise Im dead D/FWTx
Joined Dec 2002
623 Posts
Was my b-day today also
thechosen1one is offline Find More Posts by thechosen1one
Old Mar 07, 2004, 09:47 PM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thechosen1one
Was my b-day today also
It must have been cause you got your favorite present.... WIND... and lots of it!