HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2004, 10:34 PM
The Magician.
Lucas, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TwinSpar
I did manage to loose one of the stock/original winglets and used the remaining one to cut a set from standard 4mm coroplast. I like the double layer coroplast that Justin provides much more than the standard 4mm stuff.

LOL

I hope you find this funny, because I sure do.

Those double layered wing tips you mentioned.........
Are really 2 wingtips stuck together. You didn't lose anything
Just pull the wingtips apart and you will have 2-2mm Coro tips.

I cut props down with a small razor saw, and carefully measure and cut the tips. I then sand the tips smooth and use a prop balance to insure the prop is balanced. You do not want the prop causing vibrations.

Justin
birdofprey is offline Find More Posts by birdofprey
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2004, 11:08 PM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
Oh JEEEZ... I'm on my way to the garage to see how much of a fool I am!

ROTFLMAO!
TwinSpar is offline Find More Posts by TwinSpar
Old Jan 26, 2004, 08:27 PM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
How I did the patterns:

I started with some large drawing paper and aligned it to the root ( and then offset it past center for overlap) so that I could trace half of the wing. I used the side of a pencil lead to outline the edges of the wing. I've got pictures of the top and bottom templates. Since the top was to be a lighter color, I expanded out from the edges of the plane to wrap the lighter color under the darker color. I'm not sure if you can see the pencil shadowing in the pictures but I put red next to the sides that I lengthened past the outline of the wing (for overlap).

The top pattern
http://mysite.verizon.net/res04y5h/ttemplate.jpg

The bottom
http://mysite.verizon.net/res04y5h/btemplate.jpg

Does any of that make sense?

** Edit **
I flipped the patterns over for the opposite side of the wing when it came time to cut the ultracote.
Last edited by TwinSpar; Jan 26, 2004 at 10:25 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 03:46 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
You know
If you go to www.yourzagi.com you can learn ALOT about building these wings. Matts site is one of the best in this regard. This is where i learnt to cut out the entire piece of foam where the batt is going to go. you then slice the proper amount of foam from the block to make the batts sit flush then CA that piece back into your cut out. Works like a charm. I have Also CA`d in a thick piece of BALSA instead. I have done this When using TAPE only. i have not tried it with ultracoat. The balsa did break after a HUGE crash but it took many impacts before it broke. I just then recut a new piece of balsa.
Justin
Thanks for the Tips. I am sure i can get one over the 120 mark.

Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Jan 29, 2004, 08:25 PM
Joined Jan 2004
1 Posts
TwinSpar,

Thanks for the close-up of your component install. I hope my Devastator comes out as nice as yours. Good luck flying it.
Snake Eyes is offline Find More Posts by Snake Eyes
Old Jan 31, 2004, 07:14 PM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
I knew this thing was a porker but I had no idea how far off COG I had the thing. Don't ask me why... but it balanced before I covered it.... but was WAY off after. Newbie mistakes is all I can guess.

Maiden was ugly and resulted in a glichy receiver as well as a stripped servo.

I started hacking at the foam, moving the motor around, moving the battery around, kept getting pissed off at my newbie self, kept trying to not HACK the wing up with a chainsaw, and finally spent some time on the phone with Justin. He convince me not to give up on Fat Frankenstein.... and I didn't! On a cold and blustery today.... Franken D flew!

I really had to tone down the throws but got it up in the air and under control. What a fast wing! And it is a glider to boot! What a pleasure to land in the wind! I choose a really bad place to re-maiden (tight) so I didn't get to try much in the way of acrobatics. Don't laugh too much but what follows are Franken D and what it took for me to finally balance, get the throws correct, and successfully fly and land the beast. Most laughable is the tape job for the motor mount.... talk about a disaster waiting to happen.

I can't wait for the new cores to come in so I can recreate a nice looking D!!!
Old Jan 31, 2004, 07:15 PM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
The bottom... no duh...

Want to know why the spar was exposed?.... I was about to go after the excess (and I mean EXCESS) epoxy. Thankfully (I think), someone stole my dremel routing platform out of my garage.
Old Jan 31, 2004, 08:41 PM
Do U Kno Who's Yur Daddy?
Don't let everybody know, otherwise Im dead D/FWTx
Joined Dec 2002
623 Posts
So does this mean you don't need what we talked about on the phone?
GOOD LUCK
thechosen1one is offline Find More Posts by thechosen1one
Old Jan 31, 2004, 09:10 PM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
Correct. Thanks again!
Old Feb 01, 2004, 11:05 AM
Just fly the darn wing!!!
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
Twin, how did you get the motormount off the foam? I tried it with mine after a little mishap (bent mount) and almost ripped the foam out with it. Then bent it back while it was still glued in (not the best method, but worked).

Just wanna know for my next mishap.

Thanks

Dennis
ScYcS is offline Find More Posts by ScYcS
Old Feb 01, 2004, 01:07 PM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ScYcS
Twin, how did you get the motormount off the foam? I tried it with mine after a little mishap (bent mount) and almost ripped the foam out with it. Then bent it back while it was still glued in (not the best method, but worked).

Just wanna know for my next mishap.

Thanks

Dennis
I followed Andy's (thechosen1) technique of putting down a layer 3m77, then a layer of strapping tape, another layer of 3m77, place the motor mount, and finally another layer of strapping tape. It allows you to cut away the mount without having to worry about tearing the TE. It's a bit heavier but as Andy says.... It ain't gonna come loose!

BTW... my son was astounded at the speed of the wing and I was only flitting around at 1/2 throttle. What a difference power and this wing profile makes in the wind!!! No more waiting impatiently to fight headwinds to get some elevation!
Last edited by TwinSpar; Feb 01, 2004 at 01:11 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2004, 06:49 PM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
I've got another Devastator question.... keep in mind that this thing is a porker at 19oz (sans batteries), I had to add 4oz to the nose to get it to balance (so add 4oz to the 19oz), battery goes across the wing (horizontal vs vertical), and that it's balancing at 7 1/4.

Roll rate was on par with a stock Zagi. Is this because of my weight?

I have to get a couple more of these 9 cell Kan1800 packs. Much more zippy than the 10 cell Kan1050's. Today was fairly light wind and this porker comes in HOT for landings! I can't wait to get the new cores and build it correctly! It's a blast to fly at a real heavy weight and I can't wait to fly it when it is MUCH lighter. All in all.... I've learned a ton on this first build and really look forward to doing it right this time!
Old Feb 03, 2004, 07:10 PM
Just fly the darn wing!!!
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
Try the CBP 1400. They're great cells, cheap, and light. Should work out nicely.

Your wing is a tad on the heavy side though. Have you tried taking some weight off after adding the 4oz? I like my Devastator tail heavy, so i didn't have to add any weight, even though my CG is about .75 to 1" off...
ScYcS is offline Find More Posts by ScYcS
Old Feb 03, 2004, 08:31 PM
Addicted to R/C
Fort Collins, Colorado
Joined Nov 2003
630 Posts
why do you need new cores? you sould strip it down and re-cover it
newracer is offline Find More Posts by newracer
Old Feb 03, 2004, 09:24 PM
Chicagoland Area
Joined Oct 2003
412 Posts
See if you can loose some of that four o.z of lead in the nose .by moving your balance point back a little you will pick up your rollrate. and maneverability but Loose some stability and wind penetration.
WingMan33 is offline Find More Posts by WingMan33