Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 20, 2004, 09:32 PM
Edgewood, NM
Joined Jan 2002
1,038 Posts
Ultracote is designed for Balsa.

Just make sure that the wood is free of dust and smooth, the ultracote will tack really nicely to the elevon without the 3M77.
zagisrule! is offline Find More Posts by zagisrule!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2004, 09:34 PM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
Thanks ZR!!!
TwinSpar is offline Find More Posts by TwinSpar
Old Jan 21, 2004, 08:03 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Don

What is the configuration of the 1950 Packs you have?

I am thinking on Just using Two 3S1P 2100 TP Lipos. with a 3 turn Mega. I am surer this will get it up over the 120 Mark

Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Jan 21, 2004, 08:48 PM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
I made my maiden venture into ultracote. Color selection is dark yellow for the top of the wing and midnight blue for the bottom. No big surprises with the ultracote on balsa. Tomorrow or the next day I'll hit the strapping tape and epp with 3M77 and start working the ultracote. I only did one color on the balsa. I started to do dual color and realized I should probably save that kind of detail work for another project. I'm guessing I'm going to have a hard enough time getting the colors to line up on the LE and the my efforts would be better used on that than on the elevons.

Got another ultracote question.... can I do a stripe of yellow over the blue bottom and have it look decent or do I need to cut out a strip of blue to allow the yellow underneath. I'm not real sure of how opaque this stuff is considering that all I've done is put it on balsa.

I had a feeling that this D was gonna be a porker but I have no idea of what is considered the optimal weight. I'm weighing in on a real crappy $1 garage sale weight watchers scale at 16 oz's without covering and batteries. Is that good... bad... average?

Thanks again for the words of wisdom!

BTW... I'm using a Hangar 9 hobby iron that has actual temp settings on the controls. I haven't done an actual temp test but I haven't run into problems yet.... I guess the foam with be the ultimate test (even though there isn't much foam exposed with the heavy duty strapping job I did).
Old Jan 22, 2004, 07:28 PM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
Got another weird question(s)......

I setup a pattern template for the ultracote for the top of the wing on one side (I'm doing the covering in 4 pieces), reversed it to the other side, and noticed that the wing halves are different in length by 1/2 and inch. Is this normal on kits? Do I leave it as is and if so, will it affect flight characteristics?

DAMN! I really wanted to start laying down ultracote tonight but now I'm afraid to proceed without answers...........
Old Jan 22, 2004, 07:38 PM
The Magician.
Lucas, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,849 Posts
TS,

It is unusual for the panels to be different sizes, but it is possible that one panel may have expanded slightly after the cutting process relieved internal stress that the foam may have been under. Foam does expand and contract occasionally.
If you feel up to it, you can trim the wingtip slightly to make them the same, but the flight characteristics should not be effected.

Justin
birdofprey is offline Find More Posts by birdofprey
Old Jan 22, 2004, 08:22 PM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
Thanks for the reply Justin!!!

I wish I had noticed the inconsistency before I strapped it. I'm comfortable taking some off of wingtips (did it when I refurb'ed my son's Zagi) but I'm not sure I want to try to trim it strapped and with the antena wire buried on the long side. Guess I'll go with it as is.

Any comments on the weight that I've got thus far? I haven't found any documentation on recommended weight. Thanks in advance!

Leif
Old Jan 22, 2004, 08:30 PM
Do U Kno Who's Yur Daddy?
Don't let everybody know, otherwise Im dead D/FWTx
Joined Dec 2002
623 Posts
It WILL affect the way it flies with one longer that the other and it depends on wether the root cord or tip is longer, you will have to trim it WAY out to accomodate the defect in manufacturing. Be VERY carefull at high speeds for one side will have more lift than the other and you don't want it getting out of control. Where is your stainless mount? The aluminun one will crack off after a few times of bending it back and forth, that was the point for the stainless one. If you want, there will be a bunch of us out this weekend filming my newest thing, youi are more than welcome to come see TRUE UNLIMITED vertical, along with BLISTERING speeds far in excess of any other flying wing available at the moment. If this wing doesn't work out to your expectations, can give you a deal on a combatwings miniXE2. They are being radared in california at 98mph on a 9cell pack
thechosen1one is offline Find More Posts by thechosen1one
Last edited by thechosen1one; Jan 22, 2004 at 08:47 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 09:27 PM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
Andy,

The stainless mount didn't make it on because of my newbie building skills.... I needed to put the motor further aft and the AL mount would allow placing the motor further back.

After some closer measuring, the root dimensions are the same. It looks like the wing span was a bit longer on one half. No big deal... I've trimmed it to match and now have a 35.5" Devastator. It was more like a quarter of an inch off once I measured instead of relying on my eye sight. There's a joke there.... but I'll leave that alone for now.....
Old Jan 22, 2004, 09:32 PM
Do U Kno Who's Yur Daddy?
Don't let everybody know, otherwise Im dead D/FWTx
Joined Dec 2002
623 Posts
Hairy palms?????????????/
thechosen1one is offline Find More Posts by thechosen1one
Old Jan 22, 2004, 11:18 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,488 Posts
Rule 7

Gentlemen,

I don't know if you're all aware, but there's been a new rule posted in the Forum Policies;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=50714

I refer specifically to rule no. 7;

7. Vendors will refrain from commenting in threads relating exclusively to other vendors' products or services.

Thank you

Tim Hooper (Moderator)
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Jan 23, 2004, 12:52 PM
Will Crash for Food...
Orange County, CA
Joined Apr 2002
419 Posts
theChosen1one, is it possible for you to make a comment in one of these threads without disparaging Justin's products? Granted, you are somewhat subtle now, but still trying to stick the knife in.

You'd come across much better without the snide remarks. All it does is make people repsect Justin for not doing the same, and makes you look childish in their eyes. Plus, as Tim Hooper noted, it's against the forum rules.

Relax, you'll still sell your wings without the need to belittle others.

Blackwood
Mighty Dingus is offline Find More Posts by Mighty Dingus
Old Jan 23, 2004, 01:17 PM
Clinton, Maryland
Joined Oct 2002
426 Posts
Like Blackwood said, you will sell your wing if it is good but you are just trying to limit those sales. It seems that success in this business is easier when the vendor gives good customer service and integrity. Acer, Justin, and the Unicorn guys are known on this forum and I'm sure they have had some success from the way they treat people here. You are headed in the wrong direction.
Besides all of that, what gives with the wing? You are keeping it under wraps like it is the next SR71.
Tomegun is offline Find More Posts by Tomegun
Old Jan 24, 2004, 08:31 PM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
Edge shot before elevons and wing tips.
Old Jan 24, 2004, 08:33 PM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
Shot of the top after elevons and wing tips. The antenae routes through the wing tip and out the back of it towards the top.