HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2004, 08:41 PM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
4 turn Mega is due in on Monday and I picked up a set of golden rods today (yup.... I'm pushing the maiden building experience to the limit). I need suggestions for batteries for the 4 turn Mega (prolly with a 6X4 prop). I'm looking for a good mix of flight time and perf. I've got three 8 cell KAN1050 packs. I need help on the electrical side..... still haven't mastered the art of electrons!
TwinSpar is offline Find More Posts by TwinSpar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2004, 08:53 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
9x1950 FAUP is what I've got in mine and I'm very happy with the planes performance. At 1/4 throttle it flies like a speed 400, at 3/4 throttle it passes most IC planes and can go vertical doing rolls.
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Jan 02, 2004, 08:58 PM
Just fly the darn wing!!!
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
I've got 8x1650AA (flat) Unicorn pack in it. Great cells and not very heavy.
ScYcS is offline Find More Posts by ScYcS
Old Jan 02, 2004, 09:22 PM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Sims
9x1950 FAUP is what I've got in mine and I'm very happy with the planes performance. At 1/4 throttle it flies like a speed 400, at 3/4 throttle it passes most IC planes and can go vertical doing rolls.
Don
Is that a 3 turn or 4 turn?.... and what are your flight times?
Old Jan 03, 2004, 07:34 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
I set my timer for ten minutes and always have plenty of power to land. My longest flight has been 33 minutes but that was in some real boomer thermals.

I can't remember the turn of the motor. I'll have to look!!
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Jan 10, 2004, 08:43 PM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
Got the wing balanced with a 9 cell KAN 1800 pack and will be turning three packs of DS 8 cell KAN 1050 packs into two 10 cell KAN 1050 packs with the following config:

[][]
[][][]
[][][]
[][]

the 9 cell 1800 pack is setup (and pictured) as:

[][][]
[][][]
[][][]

Width between the packs should be pretty close.

I'm starting off with above wing control rods and will sink them with golden rods when I'm happy with the wing config. I've got two quetions regarding the build....

First (the area hilighted in yellow):
I don't have much depth below the receiver. What are the downsides to stripping the casing from the receiver? If I do, how should it be mounted?

Second (the area hilighted in green):
Again... not much foam beneath the ESC coupled with the fact that I'll be doing a battery compartment that may allow ejections of the battery in uncontrolled landings (don't hope for many of those). I've got some ideas of trying to strap the battery down but... given that this is a first time build I'm not sure if I'm on the right track with my ideas. I've modified a Zagi 400X and have been pleased with the results but the goal was to eliminate the battery ejection damage... not eliminating battery ejection. Any words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance!

Leif
Old Jan 10, 2004, 11:05 PM
Addicted to R/C
Fort Collins, Colorado
Joined Nov 2003
630 Posts
I have my rx farther back than yours and was able to bury the enitre rx in the foam with plenty still intact. The very top of the plugs as slightly above the foam but not by much. For my esc I just stuck onto the wing in front of the motor with double sided tape to allow it to cool better. I mounted my servos out farther on the wing so the control rod connects more towards the middle of the elevon to make it stiffer. I also installed an additional flat carbon spar parrellel to the LE for additional stiffness. My D is very stiff!!!

Flew it for the first time today, flies great!! Just like a lot of other people say it really goes where you point it. Roll rate is awesome, glides very well, can do at least 4 consecutive loops, and high speed dives are blistering!!!
newracer is offline Find More Posts by newracer
Old Jan 13, 2004, 09:22 PM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
I should have the reconfigured 10 Cell KAN1050's tomorrow as well as a stainless CombatWings motor mount. The foam cutting will begin this weekend.... after I change the oil on the YZ426F, clean & lube the filter, prep the quad, load the trailer, see a movie with the family, and prep the provisions for Monday's day in the dirt! Too many hobbies and too little time!!!

The greatest joy of this weekend of maintenance..... I get to try out the ManFunnel! What a great product name!!
Old Jan 14, 2004, 12:21 AM
Do U Kno Who's Yur Daddy?
Don't let everybody know, otherwise Im dead D/FWTx
Joined Dec 2002
623 Posts
Hmmmm.... you think so huh Leif?? Will do my best to accomodate your wishes
Thanks
Andy
thechosen1one is offline Find More Posts by thechosen1one
Old Jan 14, 2004, 06:38 AM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
Well.... I did say should have them....

I appreciate all of your help in the battery department and other words of wisdom that you have provided. Many thanks Andy!!!
Old Jan 20, 2004, 10:24 AM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
I finally got the chance to start installing the electronics this weekend. What a learning experience!

I decided to run the ESC on top of the wing. The battery bay cutout was the only real surprise. By the time I got the compartment deep enough to house the battery and coroplast cover... I got really nervous about the strength of the remaining foam (under the battery). I didn't know if strapping tape would be enough to hold the heavy batteries in.... so I improvised like a newbie. I used some funky sign material (that a brother-in-law gave me) to reinforce the bay. The only problem is now I'm left with a battery that will be exposed. So much for a pretty wing!

The only mistake that I think I made was not taping the bay before installing the reinforcing plate. The plate is epoxied directly to the foam. Time will tell....

Any comments on how I've screwed up this wing?

This first shot is of the plate w/ battery under it. I notched the plate with a router so that velcro strap could route under it (more battery ejection protection).
Old Jan 20, 2004, 10:25 AM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
Electronic and battery in place and ready to be hit with strapping tape.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 10:26 AM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
Yes... it's gonna be an overweight D...
Old Jan 20, 2004, 10:28 AM
Just fly the darn wing!!!
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
Very clean built so far TwinSpar (hey it rhymes...).

Looking forward to the finished project. Actually I'm thinking of getting another one of these sweet birds. They're just too much fun!

Dennis
ScYcS is offline Find More Posts by ScYcS
Old Jan 20, 2004, 07:45 PM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
Thanks for the words of encouragement Dennis.

Another first-timer question..... I've decided to go with Ultracoat after some experienced words of wisdom. My question is on the elevons... do I need 3m77 or will the ultracoat stick without it?

Thanks!