SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 29, 2003, 07:06 PM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
Devastator Build By A First Time Builder

Thought I would start a thread to document my trials and tribulations on my maiden venture into RC models.

The wing is a 36'' Devastator by EdgeRC.com with the following list of goodies (some things are still yet to be decided on):[list=1][*]4 turn Mega (ordered today)[*]Castle Creations 25A ESC (ordered today)[*]SMicro18 Servos (own it)[*]Hitec HAS-3MB Receiver (own it)[*]Three 8 cell Kan1050 Packs (Looking for suggestions for other/better options but have them in hand).[*]6X4 Prop (not yet ordered/bought)[/list=1]

I'm sure I'll have a ton of build questions and appreciate any help that is offered!!!!!

Leif
TwinSpar is offline Find More Posts by TwinSpar
Last edited by TwinSpar; Dec 29, 2003 at 07:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2003, 07:07 PM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
The wing halves epoxied together and just playing around with servo placement.
Old Dec 29, 2003, 07:13 PM
Just fly the darn wing!!!
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
I used the unicorn stock battery pack in mine (8 cell 1650mah NiMH). Works great so far. Well, that was until today when i decided to test how deep a carbon prop can cut into my middle finger. Pretty deep.

Also make sure that once you start cutting out the holes for the servos, receiver, etc., that you actually also know where the cables will be routed. I made the mistake and placed everything on the wing, attached the stuff with masking tape and found the perfect GC. I started cutting and once everything was done, my cabling was a tad bit too short to reach the receiver....doh.
ScYcS is offline Find More Posts by ScYcS
Old Dec 29, 2003, 07:19 PM
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
Here's a pic of mine with the open battery bay (made after the "finger incident") and with a real lousy tape job:
Old Dec 29, 2003, 07:26 PM
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
...and the bottom of the darn finger killing machine:
Old Dec 29, 2003, 09:34 PM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
ScYcS,

What motor combo do you have? Also.... I noticed that no covering goes over the motor mount. Did you cover as the instructions said... cover first, cut out covering for motor mount, and epoxy?

BTW... the covering doesn't look that bad... just the bare strapping tape attachments!
Last edited by TwinSpar; Dec 29, 2003 at 09:36 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 06:31 AM
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
I use a Speed 480 on mine and yes, i followed the instructions with the motor mount. However, due to the metal of the motor mount, the color of the tape looks different on it and was just "wrong"....so i decided to leave it uncovered.

The strapping tape is actually not much visible, that's just the flash highlighting it.....but i made some major mishaps with the decals, positioning them a little cricked. The first picture shows this very well. The decal on the left is correct, the other one is cricked and that's why it almost appears as if the rods are not in the same angle, even though they are....
Old Dec 30, 2003, 07:52 AM
Name it, I've crashed it
JAX, FL
Joined Feb 2002
1,556 Posts
Leif, Just a couple comments on some things that I would have done differently on my Devestator and Mega 16/15/3 setup.

1. Put the servos as far out as possible to get away from mounting the push rods near the inner end of the ailerons. With my 8x1950 FAUP packs and the 16/15/3 the Devestator is very fast and I've had some close calls with the aileron twisting at high speed and not giving me the control I needed.

2. Maybe just me but I've not had good luck with anything except monokote on EPP (flexible) foam. All types of covering including Zagi tape sticks initially but then with all of the flex in a EPP plane the covering gets loose.

3. Decide on what packs you want to use and test placement all of the components (before installing) to get to the CG you want. When I used lighter packs than my 1950 FAUP's (KAN 950's) I had to use lead in the nose to get the CG correct.

Overall a very fun plane that is very fast and also has great slow/landing speed and decent glide. You'll have a lot of fun with it.

- Bill
Bill Germanson is offline Find More Posts by Bill Germanson
Old Dec 30, 2003, 09:26 AM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Germanson
2. Maybe just me but I've not had good luck with anything except monokote on EPP (flexible) foam. All types of covering including Zagi tape sticks initially but then with all of the flex in a EPP plane the covering gets loose.
How difficult is the application of monokote to master? My only experience thus far is recovering the Zagi that I got my son for Xmas and that was with tape.

Thanks for the suggestions Bill!!
Old Dec 30, 2003, 09:44 AM
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
Twinstar, I never covered with foil either, but from what i've heard is that if you use a good iron (and not the cheapest of the cheapest), that can regulate the temperature well, it's not too hard. The hard parts are probably the same as with tape. The little edges and small grooves. There are special fine irons out there with very small tips for that though.

I plan on using foil for my next model as well, so keep us updated if you cover it with foil and how it went!

By the way, from looking at the Zagi tape job, you are much better with tape than i am.....great job!
Old Dec 30, 2003, 09:55 AM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
Thanks!

That little flash of white that you see under the canopy has been corrected since that picture was taken. I modified the wing/tray to eliminate the issue of the battery crushing the tray on impacts. It works well and still allows the use of the canopy... but makes taping in the modified section more difficult.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 10:33 AM
Addicted to R/C
Fort Collins, Colorado
Joined Nov 2003
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Germanson

- Bill
After the tape gets loose you can use a iron or heatgun to shrink it just like other coverings. I did it on my zagi and it made it almost like new.
newracer is offline Find More Posts by newracer
Old Dec 30, 2003, 10:38 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
I do the same thing as newracer when the tape starts to look shabby. Just remember there's foam under there!! Or you'll melt the stuff!! Pleading the 5th on how I found this out....

Monocoat does stick to foam well.
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Dec 30, 2003, 12:50 PM
Name it, I've crashed it
JAX, FL
Joined Feb 2002
1,556 Posts
Although I think that tape is easier to use, I've found Monokote and other coverings are fairly easy to use on wings if I do the following.

- Cover the ailerons off the plane and then tape them on. Man does tape stick to that covering!
- Cover the wing in four sections. right and left for both the top and bottom. I've tried covering the whole wing and also in more than 4 pieces and 4 works best for me. You can remove covering or just add trim on top and again it sticks to itself like crazy.
- I've covered wings using spray 77 and not using it and with EPP it doesn't seem to matter much (using shrink covering). On the Zagi's I've built which where mostly EPS (hard stuff) the Monokote sticks either way. On the EPP the covering gets loose (again probably me) no matter what I do so you do need to re-iron it occasionally.
- As mentioned by others don't melt the foam. It will reharden but not in the original shape. As a rule I try to get the covering pretty tight before applying heat and then use the minimum heat to get it tight. I use the Hobbico heat iron with a covering iron sock on it and it works great. I have also used a heat gun on foam but be careful.

- Bill
Bill Germanson is offline Find More Posts by Bill Germanson
Old Dec 31, 2003, 10:54 AM
Motocross Nut
Plano, TX
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
Looks like I'll be jumping into the monokote experience. I picked up an adjustable iron and two rolls of monokote. Still waiting on the mega.....