HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:46 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts
Discussion
Plane Lost on Building Roof

Hey guys, 1st flight out at a local park and my plane fell on a building roof. it has a 2200mah 3s battery in it -- is it worth the embarassment to recover for fear of future fire? please let me know! it's really hard to scale the building, i've tried.

thanks!
lostplane123 is offline Find More Posts by lostplane123
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:49 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,609 Posts
The risk of fire is pretty low. The pack, if it is still connected to the ESC, will discharge to zero in a day or two.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:15 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,931 Posts
I assume it has a flat roof. If so, it also has an access hatch inside the building. If you can find out who uses the building they will likely allow you or a staff member to retrieve the plane. If the roof is sloped, just check back on a windy day.

I "landed" my nephew's Tiger Moth on his school's roof one summer. It was up there a few weeks. One day we spotted a janitor going in and he let me climb up to get it.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:21 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostplane123 View Post
Hey guys, 1st flight out at a local park and my plane fell on a building roof. it has a 2200mah 3s battery in it -- is it worth the embarassment to recover for fear of future fire? please let me know! it's really hard to scale the building, i've tried.

thanks!
I would do it in a heartbeat. You will probably never see the manager of the building again in your life. ( well unless you repeat your landing) Explain to him what happened They would send maintenance crew up to get it for you.
Ginohio is online now Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:39 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts
success! grabbed a ladder and climbed up, grabbed the plane! Nearly zero damage (Bixler <3)

thanks guys!
lostplane123 is offline Find More Posts by lostplane123
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:50 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,024 Posts
Quote:
success! grabbed a ladder and climbed up, grabbed the plane! Nearly zero damage (Bixler <3)

thanks guys!
awesome dude. I sent my son in fla a blade mini helicopter in Sept. I talk to him after and ask how it went. Well he didn't heed my advice of not flying outside in any wind..Sure nuff landed on his neighbors roof.. So he bit the bullet knocked on the door and they helped him get the ladder up and get it down. Not everyone is a total d**k when stuff happens.

Good luck on your next flight.
Ginohio is online now Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:45 AM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,519 Posts
Quote:

thanks guys!
Now you can change your name.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:35 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
I lost a plane up on a schools roof once, luckily there was a couple playing tennis in a court next to the school and they had lobbed several of their tennis balls up there. While circling the school looking for a way up I ran into the guy that was playing tennis circling the building as well, he was looking for a way up. I gave him a boost he got my plane and their tennis balls, everyone but my plane went home happy. It was totaled.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:27 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
"Maintenance" at out local county college routinely has to recover planes from the roof. I don't think they mind. I would give them the warning to stay clear of prop.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:59 PM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
454 Posts
Wow!

...well, there's no Kalifornia answers, I don't know where the OP who did recover his plane is, but someone from Kalifornia might read this thread and get ideas of self-recovery...

I could not advise anyone to go on any property, especially a building roof, that was not their own, without specific permission from the owner of the property.

Most, if not all school grounds here in my county seem to be fenced completely and all gates are locked up tight as a drum! There might be low security prisons easier to get into, or out of.
IF you could get onto the school grounds and flew a plane around I think there might be a possibility of an encounter with enforcement.
IF you were seen on a roof top??? IMO, it's most likely you WOULD be arrested.
I would be reluctant to walk into a school office and ask them to request staff to remove my plane from a roof.

Years gone by, I've played sports on school grounds, shot archery, driven golf balls, flown FF, CL, and RC planes, launched model rockets, and metal detected... myself, with friends, and with our children... NOT in a few years, at least...

YMMV

Exercise caution!
rc
rusty case is offline Find More Posts by rusty case
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:31 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,789 Posts
About a month ago I lost a Flyzone Focke-Wulf FW190 on the roof of our local senior center. We have premission to fly there so it was not a big deal. The senior center management allowed one of my flying buddies to go up on the roof via their elevator and get my plane the following day. No damage was done to the building but the plane was pretty well trashed and the battery had run all the way down. BTW - I am in California.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:33 PM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
454 Posts
Good deal, Chuck.
I think the key word there might be 'permission'.
rc
rusty case is offline Find More Posts by rusty case
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:07 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,789 Posts
Yes, they were pretty cool about granting us permission. We told them we are all AMA and explained the insurance part to them. We adhere strictly to the AMA safety guidlines and we fly pretty much as if we were a "real" club.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:33 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty case View Post
Wow!

...well, there's no Kalifornia answers, I don't know where the OP who did recover his plane is, but someone from Kalifornia might read this thread and get ideas of self-recovery...

I could not advise anyone to go on any property, especially a building roof, that was not their own, without specific permission from the owner of the property.

Most, if not all school grounds here in my county seem to be fenced completely and all gates are locked up tight as a drum! There might be low security prisons easier to get into, or out of.
IF you could get onto the school grounds and flew a plane around I think there might be a possibility of an encounter with enforcement.
IF you were seen on a roof top??? IMO, it's most likely you WOULD be arrested.
I would be reluctant to walk into a school office and ask them to request staff to remove my plane from a roof.

Years gone by, I've played sports on school grounds, shot archery, driven golf balls, flown FF, CL, and RC planes, launched model rockets, and metal detected... myself, with friends, and with our children... NOT in a few years, at least...

YMMV

Exercise caution!
rc
In my locality schools are public property the only time access is denied to a school is during school hours then you must have immediate business at the school in order to be there. If school lets out and all the kids leave I can waltz in and fly on the fields as long as there are no after school activities using the field.

The rooftop venture had I been caught would most surely have been trespass, I'm sure though any officer responding to a report of someone on top of the schools roof once they got there and I explained what was going on, I'd most likely get a "just don't let it happen again" speech.

Niceties go further than being abrasive in those situations.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker